Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 05:23 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
DF did not address the stock market
DF did not address fannie/Freddie which were the biggest culprits

DF didn't address anything that led to the problems...its a waste of a bill

and it didn't have anything to do with GS either
they became 'too big to fail' before the repealing of G-S

1987 chemical bank merged in to jp morgan
1987 first fidelity into wells fargo
1988 fleet into norstar into bank of america
1990 bank of new england into BOA
1992 manufacturers Hanover and trust into jp Morgan
1996 chase manhattin into jp morgan
1996 Meridian Bancorp into wells fargo
1997 signet into first union into wells fargo
1998 travelers into citi
1988 Barclays into wells fargo

yes many happened after gs.. but the 'too big to fail' happened before Gs
if you don't understand that the derivative space was a much bigger culprit in the 08 crisis than the "stock market" than you can't participate in this discussion. Please explain how clearing trades as opposed to bilateral trading is not increasing transparency? Why is it bad to bring shadow banking space into the fold considering role it played in 08 as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 05:25 PM

37,179 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Enough of these obama regulations. Trump is rolling back Dodd Frank to a much better version. Enjoy the stock market gains!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/hous...ank-rules.html
Welcome to 2005. Those too stupid to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Unless, of course, he's trying to cause a real estate meltdown so he and his fellow mafiosos can buy up all the foreclosures for pennies on the dollar. Stranger things have happened.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No. More like keeping the correct protections in place while removing the onerous regulations. Something the Left knows nothing about.
I'm guessing you cant explain what was onerous about Dodd-Frank but you just know that they were bad because Trump just removed them. Tell me where any of the major banks losing money because they needed to keep assets on hand for failures, are you ready to ante up with taxpayer dollars for banks that go under. Did you forget 2008 so soon, European banks are way ahead of us but we have short memories.
Didn't Trump campaign against Wall St and the financial industry.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
No. More like keeping the correct protections in place while removing the onerous regulations. Something the Left knows nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
this will be great if it actually gets done. Dodd Frank is over regulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
how. Please site specific examples or concrete facts. Let's see them....
Quote:
please list which corrections are correct to be left in place and which ones are onerous?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I'm guessing you cant explain what was onerous about Dodd-Frank but you just know that they were bad because Trump just removed them. Tell me where any of the major banks losing money because they needed to keep assets on hand for failures, are you ready to ante up with taxpayer dollars for banks that go under. Did you forget 2008 so soon, European banks are way ahead of us but we have short memories.
Didn't Trump campaign against Wall St and the financial industry.

agree 100%- still waiting

Old 05-23-2018, 07:45 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Rtc was 89 to 96 I believe
I don't know what this means.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:31 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Glass-Stegall kept it from happening for 70 years.
Take it you were all in on the 21st Century Glass-Steagall Act of 2017 sponsored by Senator Elizabeth Warren?

Quote:
Cosponsor Date Cosponsored
Sen. McCain, John [R-AZ]* 04/06/2017
Sen. Cantwell, Maria [D-WA]* 04/06/2017
Sen. King, Angus S., Jr. [I-ME]* 04/06/2017
Sen. Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [D-NY] 04/07/2017
Sen. Sanders, Bernard [I-VT] 04/24/2017
Sen. Baldwin, Tammy [D-WI] 05/03/2017
Sen. Merkley, Jeff [D-OR] 05/03/2017
Sen. Markey, Edward J. [D-MA]
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...1/all-info?r=1

Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Well, here come the no down payment mortgages, the short term boom for housing speculators and the inevitable collapse. trump is not a fan of history...short term instant gratification is his thing. Just ask Stormy.
In the event you were not aware, plenty of mortgages have been available with minimal down payments and to those with less than outstanding credit ratings! Not much changed after the last disaster.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:52 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,561 times
This is very good for small businesses needing access to capital. The too big to fail number for banks was set far too low. This is good legislation.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,668 times
The #BankLobbyistAct# will allow banks to engage in the kind of (systemically) risky behavior that caused the 2008 financial crash, make taxpayer-funded bailouts more likely, & exempt 25 of the nation’s largest banks from needed oversight.

The bansksters are already 'popping champagne' & planning how to spend their bonuses. The FIRE sector lobbyists are finalizing their 'college savings funds' for their children & grandchildren & ...

While Mr. Trump 'stands in the middle of 5th Avenue & shoots American Justice'. Apparently with this bill, he's itching to put another 'notch on his gun'.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:24 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Welcome to 2005. Those too stupid to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Unless, of course, he's trying to cause a real estate meltdown so he and his fellow mafiosos can buy up all the foreclosures for pennies on the dollar. Stranger things have happened.
Yes, I'm sure the bill Mark Warner sponsored will eliminate all regulations on big banks. Surely this isn't tailored to relief for small banks and small businesses looking to access capital. Do you even listen to yourself?

Let me ask you this. In a free market no bank(or anyone else) would loan money to someone with no ability to repay them right? So why do you think banks were loaning hundreds of thousands of dollars to people with no ability to pay them back? I was in the mortgage industry I will explain why after I hear your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies