Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,444,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
The confederates were traitors and got what they deserved.
So do you think the original 13 colonies were "traitors" to England? Just curious here.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 04:10 AM

34,293 posts, read 18,667,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
How is it "treasonous" for the states to simply......leave? It's not like the Southern states wanted to take over the U.S.

This is true. Lincoln and the North saw an opportunity to dominate the South economically through military action justified by Secession. There is a theory that Fort Sumter was a false flag, just like the Gulf of Tonkin incident LBJ used to start the Vietnam War.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:23 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,498,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It's funny how people call Reagan overrated. I'm guessing foreign policy doesn't count in their observation?

Obama is clearly the most overrated President. Name ONE good thing he has done. Exactly.
The Dow was raised 258% during Obama`s presidency and we went from losing 745,000 jobs a month to averaging 2.4 million a year during his last 5 years. That`s TWO good things.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I watched "The Irishman" last night. Joseph Kennedy was involved with the mob, which is what the movie mentions. He was uncomfortable with his son Bobby going after Jimmy Hoffa. Bobby Kennedy, then serving as chief counsel for the Senate Rackets Committee, questioned him about his mob ties in Senate hearings. RFK and JFK obviously knew about their father's business affairs, but there is no evidence linking them to corruption and the movie does not link them. In fact, it points out the opposite, that the Kennedy brothers were fighting the mob.

Sorry, but I'm 64. I was in 3rd grade when he was assassinated and remember it well. I watched Jack Ruby shoot Oswald on TV the following Sunday morning. If you remember, there was nothing else on TV until after the funeral. BTW, if you think I was too young to understand what was going on, I remember reading everything I could get my hands on the following August during the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. I remember thinking this was going to be a big deal so I wanted to understand what was occurring. I was 9 by that time.

If you look at the events that occurred during the Truman administration and the lack of preparation he had from FDR, his presidency was one of the most difficult in history. We should judge presidents the way divers and gymnasts are judged and add "degree of difficulty" to their ratings.
You might remember it well in your mind and yes, many would remember the shooting even an 8 year old, but to really remember the entire event I think you are remember what you want. My daughter is the same age as you, was very mature we are a very political family. Out TV was on for days after the event but ask her what she remembers, maybe the shooting but certainly not much more.

As for Truman, again, you are depending on what you read and probably were told by your parents. I was 8 when her took office. My father was a navy officer and we were stationed in Florida at the time I also remember pretty clearly when Truman was re-elected but do I have true visions of all this? of course not, only what a child's mind wants to think. Was Truman unprepared when he took over? Probably like many VPs are but that doesn't make him one of our best presidents.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 AM

24,457 posts, read 23,145,334 times
Clinton. He got touted for his great economic boom but what did he really do? One, he came into office just as oil prices were hitting a record low thanks to Bush 41 and the kicking of Iraq out of Kuwait. Then he rode the coattails of the internet boom. And the housing bubble which he allowed to happen which was crashing as he was leaving office.
He was best when he was a hands off POTUS early in his first term. Then he started monkeying with things and sold out to the globalists and banking moguls and things came crashing down just in time for him to scurry off like a bloated cockroach.
He got China most favored nation trade status which screwed us. He allowed the housing bubble which screwed us. The US intelligence community started its long downward spiral under him. And he was morally and ethically bankrupt and his wife was even worse.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,230,650 times
hands down Obama.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think you are largely correct.

Obamas rating is already relatively high - top 1/3rd or so. It will certainly not decrease due to the fools that seem to get elected these days. Who would have know that GWB would rise from the very bottom to "only" the bottom 25%? Trump is the single reason GWB rose up in the ratings. "Bad" now has a new definition.

It's pretty sad that Reagan - with the most criminal (to date, the most indictments and convictions) admin in history....makes it into the top 50%. That's a low bar.

If nothing else I hope the USA can do better in the future.
You know nothing about Reagan other than what the left wing wants to push. Do you have any idea how much he was respected throughout the world? We probably haven't had a president since then that comes anywhere close to his reputation throughout the free world. That alone accounts for a lot in many minds

BTW tell us about his cabinet members who have been convicted and tell us what for?

Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 AM

24,057 posts, read 15,171,652 times
Reagan hands down.

Making a bargain with Iran to keep the hostages even a few day more in order to score political points was immoral.

And then there was that selling military hardware and parts to sanctioned Iran to fund the Contras is the CIA's wet dream.

But, we got trickle down tax breaks. Must have been fine with Nancy's astrologer.

Those indicted were
Casper Weinberger SoD was pardoned by H

Robert McFarlane NSA Pardoned by H

Elliott Abrams assistant SoS pardoned by H

Alan Fiers Chief of the CIA pardoned by H

Clair George covert ops-CIA pardoned by H

Oliver North NSC member was given immunity

Fawn Hall

aid to Oliie immunity

John Poindexter convictions overturned

Duane Claridge CIA

Richard Secord CIA
Albert Hakim subsidized Oliie North income, hid money in Swiss bank

And George Herbert Walker Bush denied he was told anything about Iran Contra, the person who told him, and Israeli, died in
in a plane crash

H was advised on all the pardons by AG William Barr

Republicans have never had respect for the rule of law, truth or 3 equal branches of government.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,010,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
This might be more like history but it's bound to get political so I'm going to put it here.

Who in your opinion is the most overrated president and why? It could be any of the 44 (counting Cleveland once).

IMHO, Ronald Reagan. His policies led directly to the income inequality we are seeing today. He recongnized that his massive tax cuts bloated the deficit to unprecedented levels and tried to make up for it by stealing $3 TRILLION from the Social Security Trust Fund (and it was never put back). He ignored the AIDS crisis and was complicit, though not directly responsible, for the selling of arms tio Iran and the Taliban. He does get points for helping end the Cold War, but as we are beginning to see it never really ended, and Russia probably only backed down because they thought Reagan was crazy. The fact that he wanted to put giant laser beams in space to shoot down nukes means they were probably correct. He also gets way too much credit (that being any at all) for the release of the American hostages in Iran. Jimmy Carter didn't sleep for the last two days of his presidency as he was in constant contact with the Iranians to ensure the hostages' release. The only reason Reagan gets credit is because they waited until the precise moment he was president to leave Iranian air space so as to embarrass Jimmy Carter.

Told you it would get political...
Obama. Completely lame duck his entire presidency and he was touted as the second coming of Christ.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 AM

18,500 posts, read 15,312,600 times
Easy. Obama. Did Obamacare his first year, and then nothing at all for the other 7 years. But dems still think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies