Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:12 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,580,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Obama. He did some good things and some not so good things for the country just as every President before him and after him. The thing is the puppet Lefty media has ignored the bad and hyped the good creating a god like aura around him that they continue to push while they do the opposite with Trump.

I hate to burst the bubble but Obama was not the second coming of black Jesus.

The media tried to pump up Hillary and turn her into something she wasn't and luckily enough voters didn't buy it but imagine if she had won and how they would have polished her image.

The media was and still is what shapes a Presidents image.
Except for Trump who has shaped his own image with nastiness, vulgarity, pettiness, narcissistic, and bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,274,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Ever see the Brit show Red Dwarf? They had a time travel episode where they accidentally knock Oswald out of the window just before he shoots Kennedy. Then when they travel a few years into the future they find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikka_to_Ride
No. Sounds like something I would like though. I wonder if I can get it on one of the streaming services.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:26 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of your examples were career government employees and not Reagan appointees for starters, some were simply accusations and nothing more. Oliver North had nothing to do with the Reagan administration He was a career military man even if he also was a conservative.

So much of what you are posting is based on what you want to believe not true fact. Oh well, we all have opinions and you will believe what you want.
Who put those career government employees in the positions they held.

So Oliver North had nothing to do with the administration or Iran Contra?

Was this all a government operation without the administration's knowledge?

Old 12-04-2019, 10:34 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Reagan hands down.

Making a bargain with Iran to keep the hostages even a few day more in order to score political points was immoral.

And then there was that selling military hardware and parts to sanctioned Iran to fund the Contras is the CIA's wet dream.

But, we got trickle down tax breaks. Must have been fine with Nancy's astrologer.

Those indicted were
Casper Weinberger SoD was pardoned by H

Robert McFarlane NSA Pardoned by H

Elliott Abrams assistant SoS pardoned by H

Alan Fiers Chief of the CIA pardoned by H

Clair George covert ops-CIA pardoned by H

Oliver North NSC member was given immunity

Fawn Hall

aid to Oliie immunity

John Poindexter convictions overturned

Duane Claridge CIA

Richard Secord CIA

Albert Hakim subsidized Oliie North income, hid money in Swiss bank

And George Herbert Walker Bush denied he was told anything about Iran Contra, the person who told him, and Israeli, died in
in a plane crash

H was advised on all the pardons by AG William Barr

Republicans have never had respect for the rule of law, truth or 3 equal branches of government.
Knowledgeable post. Thanks for the great history recap, some of which I forgot.

I would agree Ronald Reagan is the most overrated president of our modern era.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,633,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Fixed it for you.
Nope. Obama is honestly somewhere in the middle, probably in the 10s (with 1 being the best)

Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Knowledgeable post. Thanks for the great history recap, some of which I forgot.

I would agree Ronald Reagan is the most overrated president of our modern era.
Thanks. One of our fellow posters needs to read up on Ollie North. All those memos released because somebody did the FOIA petition would tell her a different story. Fairy tales are easier if you need to believe your team is honest.

I guess if you are on a mission from G-d, it's OK to be a drug runner and weapons smuggler to a sanctioned country that held your fellow citizens hostage for months.

Those unintended consequences will get ya every time.

The thing that frost me is those idiots never work their plans out to the logical end.

Thank that bastard Ollie for those drug cartels that grew out of LA into Central America.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As for Truman, again, you are depending on what you read and probably were told by your parents. I was 8 when her took office. My father was a navy officer and we were stationed in Florida at the time I also remember pretty clearly when Truman was re-elected but do I have true visions of all this? of course not, only what a child's mind wants to think. Was Truman unprepared when he took over? Probably like many VPs are but that doesn't make him one of our best presidents.
What is wrong with depending on what you read? History gives us a better perspective of a president and other historic figures. Truman had the lowest approval rating of any president in history by the end of his presidency, but historians look at him much more favorably today. He was dealing with a new world with the beginnings of the Cold War and nuclear weapons. No one had ever dealt with issues of this magnitude before. His lack of experience did not make him one of our best presidents, but it was something he had to overcome. Try reading some history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
JFK was about lowering taxes and a strong military. Trump most closely resembles JFK.
No comparison. What is your basis for saying he was for a strong military? All presidents are for a strong military. How is Kennedy different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
JFK. I don't understand why people loved the guy so much.
Charisma, listen to his speeches or watch some of his press briefings. He was probably the best ever at dealing with the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
So do you think the original 13 colonies were "traitors" to England? Just curious here.......
Sure they were traitors to England. What do you think would have happened to the revolutionary leaders if the British would've put down the rebellion? Read up on what the British did to people convicted of treason at that time. Being drawn and quartered was still punishment for treason in the 1700s in Great Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is true. Lincoln and the North saw an opportunity to dominate the South economically through military action justified by Secession. There is a theory that Fort Sumter was a false flag, just like the Gulf of Tonkin incident LBJ used to start the Vietnam War.
First of all, most historians rate Lincoln one of the top two presidents. Lincoln did not want war and was not expecting war, yet he was willing to do whatever it took to keep the Union together. No historical basis for your comment about Fort Sumter. There is a big difference between having your fort bombed for several days and launching air attacks against another country based on a false report of a naval attack.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,097,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Republicans have never had respect for the rule of law, truth or 3 equal branches of government.
Projection as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies