Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lincoln stole the freedom of the men he conscripted, the 650,000 who died (soldiers and civillians) and all of the people in the confederate states (of less than 2% were slave holders).Ultimately he forever bound all the states to the fedguv, so in effect all of us today.
Nothing Lincoln did in order to free 4 million Americans from chattel slavery could not have been reversed by later generations, with the exception of actions necessary to win the war. Sadly, extreme measures were needed to end that horror. The slaveholders weren't freeing their slaves in any large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
While the freeing of the slaves is a historical "greater good," calling Lincoln a libertarian means that either a) you don't understand what libertarian means of b) your knowledge of Lincoln's actions is severely limited.

One can celebrate Lincoln's results without ascribing an inaccurate ideology to him. Lincoln was not a libertarian.
It was a libertarian accomplishment and was in the classical liberal tradition. The term libertarian is much broader than you wish to recognize. I term it simply as the desire to allow others life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:40 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I prefer "classical liberal". However, there are many types of libertarians. I am the classical liberal type.
Yes, I notice that the people that refer to themselves as "classical liberals" seem pretty sensible to me.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:08 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Lincoln took away the freedom to economically exploit others, so Lincoln is the antithesis of modern libertarianism.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:08 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It was a libertarian accomplishment and was in the classical liberal tradition. The term libertarian is much broader than you wish to recognize. I term it simply as the desire to allow others life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
You really don't understand libertarianism, do you? Lincoln was a statist, with the belief that the federal government has the authority to force individuals to its will. No matter what form of libertarianism you look at, statism is not part of the ideology.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You really don't understand libertarianism, do you? Lincoln was a statist, with the belief that the federal government has the authority to force individuals to its will. No matter what form of libertarianism you look at, statism is not part of the ideology.
Then you must consider the Southern slaveholders to be "statists" also since the basis of their economy, their entire way of life even, was forcing individuals to their will.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:22 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Then you must consider the Southern slaveholders to be "statists" also since the basis of their economy, their entire way of life even, was forcing individuals to their will.
Yes, I do. To clarify, I also consider modern Democrats and Republicans to be statists, which is why I don't vote for them.

You seem to be making the assumption that because I don't consider Lincoln a libertarian I don't agree with his results. That is far from the truth. Ending slavery was a good thing. I disagree with Lincoln's methods for ending slavery, as it could have been done without decimating the population of both the North and South - and would have resulted in a much better situation for people of all races today.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:28 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Lincoln
not libertarian..
Lincoln "civil war" was a president at the a terrible time in history. The north won at a very extreme cost.

Many Americans died for a idea of which the constitution could or would not protect a country against itself.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:32 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
also wanted to send blacks back to africa and thought they were inferior

Old 05-29-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, I do. To clarify, I also consider modern Democrats and Republicans to be statists, which is why I don't vote for them.

You seem to be making the assumption that because I don't consider Lincoln a libertarian I don't agree with his results. That is far from the truth. Ending slavery was a good thing. I disagree with Lincoln's methods for ending slavery, as it could have been done without decimating the population of both the North and South - and would have resulted in a much better situation for people of all races today.
I agree that classifying Lincoln as a libertarian is a reach (by today's standards anyway) but I agree with whogo that liberating the slaves was basically a libertarian act. If not then the word "libertarian" has no meaning whatsoever. And I place the blame for the Civil War on the Southern slaveholders. They were willing to fight (or send young men to do their fighting for them) to preserve their "peculiar institution".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies