Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

They've been predicting the death of Facebook for what now, 4 or 5 years already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah, but people kept going on with "no it's not...", but now the evidence is becoming pretty solid. FB will soon be as relevant as Geocities, MySpace and others now long forgotten.
Facebook is not failing. People are simply using other platforms in addition/instead of FB. It's like saying Honda is going broke because Toyota increased sales. I would actually liken FB as more of a mature brand- meaning plenty of loyalty and users but no longer new/exciting.

As others have mentioned FB is also turning into the digital equivalent of a conglomerate. So their original product might wane but they will be able to expand into other areas.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Told you so; the thing has peaked for the youngsters, they've moved on.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/06...vey-finds.html

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/31/1...erred-platform
Are you reading articles from 3 or 4 years ago?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I have noticed a trend where kids will abandon FB when they are in high school, then pick it up again in college when they are far from HS friends so they can keep up with them. They are generally not as active as older members on FB, but they do pop in every few weeks/month, etc.

My middle kid graduated from HS a couple of years ago and he was never one to actually use his FB account. He said the other day that he thought it might start logging in now and then to keep in contact with the folks he's lost contact with.

I figure my daughter will do the same after she graduates next year. She abandoned her FB account in 9th grade.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:05 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Yeah well, their attention span is about 3 and half seconds these days.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:25 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:

They already knew their parents were spying on them. It was not hard to predict.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:48 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
I am not a big Facebook fan or user, but you all saying that they are doomed because the youth of today have "moved on" are hilarious.

Enron (which failed) was valued at 70 billion at it's peak value.

Facebook is valued at over 500 billion right now from what I can find.

For a company that is valued at 500 billion dollars to "fail" and go away would take a level of mismanagement or criminality rarely seen.

As others here have pointed out, Facebook is busy buying up Instagram and others like it. Would not surprise me if Twitter was next for them.

I do not think Facebook is going anywhere any time soon and I seriously doubt that any efforts to break them up will succeed. They will just evolve. Especially since Zuckerberg is so still so young.

Let's bring this up again 50 years from now because I would be willing to bet Facebook is still here in some form or another (and probably valued at quite a bit more than 500 billion).

Last edited by Texas Minded; 06-01-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-01-2018, 11:42 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Facebook is not failing. People are simply using other platforms in addition/instead of FB. It's like saying Honda is going broke because Toyota increased sales. I would actually liken FB as more of a mature brand- meaning plenty of loyalty and users but no longer new/exciting.

As others have mentioned FB is also turning into the digital equivalent of a conglomerate. So their original product might wane but they will be able to expand into other areas.

Exactly.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I am not a big Facebook fan or user, but you all saying that they are doomed because the youth of today have "moved on" are hilarious.

Enron (which failed) was valued at 70 billion at it's peak value.

Facebook is valued at over 500 billion right now from what I can find.

For a company that is valued at 500 billion dollars to "fail" and go away would take a level of mismanagement or criminality rarely seen.

As others here have pointed out, Facebook is busy buying up Instagram and others like it. Would not surprise me if Twitter was next for them.

I do not think Facebook is going anywhere any time soon and I seriously doubt that any efforts to break them up will succeed. They will just evolve. Especially since Zuckerberg is so still so young.

Let's bring this up again 50 years from now because I would be willing to bet Facebook is still here in some form or another (and probably valued at quite a bit more than 500 billion).
*Disclosure , Texas Minded owns Facebook stock and is long Facebook .

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

Gab is EXPLODING. The place where free speech lives and the UK is trying to Ban.

www.gab.ai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies