Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 992,997 times

Advertisements

Invest in RotoRooter now.

Quote:
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – There will soon be more focus on flushes and scrutiny over showers with a new law signed in by the governor.

California is now the first state in the nation to enact tough new water-efficiency standards. The controversial rules limit how many gallons a person can use inside their home per day.

“So that everyone in California is at least integrating efficiency into our preparations for climate change,” said Felicia Marcus, Chair of the State Water Resources Control Board.

So, what are the new rules?

In 2022, the new indoor water standard will be 55 gallons per person, per day. by 2030, it will fall to 50 gallons.
New California Law Limits How Much Water People Can Use « CBS Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
I believe back in my marine biology course work that the average need for a person a day was 10 gallons so 55 may be quite permissive.

Now one has to remember that such use covers it all of drinking, cooking, cleaning, washing, flushing, and whatever else a person does with water.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:39 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
California is a rouge communist state at this point. There are so many different rules, regulations, taxes it's impossible to know what is legal and what is not. Every year California passes 900 new laws! 900!

Old 06-02-2018, 01:56 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
California is a rouge communist state at this point. There are so many different rules, regulations, taxes it's impossible to know what is legal and what is not. Every year California passes 900 new laws! 900!

You'd better stay away from California, as they would surely find some law to get you for bad grammar. Getting back on topic, it's not surprising that they have to ration water, because we're in a 5-year long semi-drought here on the West Coast. They had an even more severe one in California in the 1970s and that was a big factor, that eventually led to the federal standards for restricted-flow faucets, shower-heads and toilets. The 55-gallon new limit there, is about twice as much as I use per day, in Oregon, not counting summertime watering of plants and trees, in an area that has never had a water shortage.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-02-2018 at 02:07 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 02:32 AM

1,743 posts, read 992,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You'd better stay away from California, as they would surely find some law to get you for bad grammar. Getting back on topic, it's not surprising that they have to ration water, because we're in a 5-year long semi-drought here on the West Coast. They had an even more severe one in California in the 1970s and that was a big factor, that eventually led to the federal standards for restricted-flow faucets, shower-heads and toilets. The 55-gallon new limit there, is about twice as much as I use per day, in Oregon, not counting summertime watering of plants and trees, in an area that has never had a water shortage.
Yeah well, when are they going to make law on how much air you can breathe in a 24 hour period?

The worst air quality in the United States is in California.

Equal, I read somewhere that breathing the polluted air was equal to smoking three packs a day!

Usable air is running low!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
There is a drought in California. How do you suggest that they deal with it?

Old 06-02-2018, 02:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
I live in Kentucky, which as you know is a very Red State.
We have had droughts too, here in our city of Lexington...several over the last few decades.

When they did, and it got really bad....they had a rationing of water here also.

When resources are limited, there is really nothing left to do.
It really has nothing to do with being a blue state or a red state.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
And what about all those homes with outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs? The water loss from evaporation as well as maintaining the pools is far greater than toilets and showers. What about the wealthy (celebrities, politicians, etc) who regularly flaunt watering laws or use a few produce trees to justify excessive lawn watering? What about theme parks with water attractions? Will they be forced to shut off the water?

Some easy and affordable ways to conserve water (money) include a dual flush valve. One flush for number one (less water) and a larger flush for number two. Use low flow shower head with a trickle switch to take Navy showers. An example of a Navy shower is to wet down the body and hair in the shower, flip the shower head to trickle, soap up, turn shower back on and rinse off soap. Don’t water lawns. Instead landscape with native plants for the environment. Allow residents to use rain collection barrels for plant and lawn watering instead of municipal water system.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:44 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
California is pretty much a desert. If anything, it had been unusually wet the past few centuries, and it's reverting back into its desert roots. It was inevitable eventually. So they really do need to minimize their water usage, unless other states are willing to provide them with water.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
And what about all those homes with outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs? The water loss from evaporation as well as maintaining the pools is far greater than toilets and showers. What about the wealthy (celebrities, politicians, etc) who regularly flaunt watering laws or use a few produce trees to justify excessive lawn watering? What about theme parks with water attractions? Will they be forced to shut off the water?

Some easy and affordable ways to conserve water (money) include a dual flush valve. One flush for number one (less water) and a larger flush for number two. Use low flow shower head with a trickle switch to take Navy showers. An example of a Navy shower is to wet down the body and hair in the shower, flip the shower head to trickle, soap up, turn shower back on and rinse off soap. Don’t water lawns. Instead landscape with native plants for the environment. Allow residents to use rain collection barrels for plant and lawn watering instead of municipal water system.
I agree that it's unwise for people in a desert environment to try to have a conventional lawn. As for pools...I see your point, but requiring people to drain them would also waste water. I don't know if there are laws that limit the amount of water people can use for them. Shutting down theme parks or water parks would put a lot of people out of work. I don't understand why any community would prohibit rain barrels. I guess some do, but the reasoning behind it escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies