Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Are you asserting no players refrained from visiting the WH during the Obama years?
Clearly, some athletes didn't attend WH ceremonies to celebrate championships during the Obama years.

But Obama was man enough to overlook the slights and carry on.

Not tRump, though.

Eagles and chickens just don't mix well.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's pretty easy to divide when liberals refuse to yield on any issue. And what's the viewpoint from the Trump supporters? That the man could cure cancer and liberals would complain about the cost of the lab tests.
Are you asserting conservatives of today are of the comprising kind? Seriously?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
It's always hard to sort out why Trump decides to do anything, but ego is usually one of the elements. If he can't make the event appear like one of his political rallies, then it is no worth his time. I daresay he's afraid there could be a demonstration during this event and he is not going to risk that.
One of his closest aides from the campaign was on the radio and admitted right out that Trump can NEVER say he is wrong or take even the slightest critique. This guy has spent hundreds of hours with The Don and helped him win.

This is a bad omen for someone in that position...that they value their personal or perceived slight more than the actual job they do. But that's the Trump Truth.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's a shame that the Eagle players just couldn't put their Trump hate aside for one fricking day and appreciate the honor of being invited to the White House. Even though i thought Obama was a lousy president, I would have been thrilled at the chance to go to the White House and meet him.

It's the players who are being petty, not the president.
http://www.newsweek.com/athletes-who...-visits-555241

Tim Thomas
Quote:
The Boston Bruins goaltender refused to go to the Obama White House in January 2012, after the team won the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals vs. the Vancouver Canucks. “I believe the federal government has grown out of control,” he said in a statement. “Today I exercised my right as a free citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”
Matt Birk
Quote:
The Baltimore Ravens center decided not to attend the White House ceremony because of his political beliefs. In his absence, he cited his opposition to Obama’s abortion stance as his reason for missing the June 2013 visit, after the team defeated the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII.
Jim Langer, Bob Kuechenberg and Manny Fernandez
Quote:
Obama belatedly honored the 1972 Miami Dolphins team in August 2013. Since visits by championship teams were rare at the time, the team hadn’t gone to then-President Richard Nixon’s White House after their win at Super Bowl VII over the Washington Redskins. More than four decades after their victory, three teammates declined to visit, all citing political reasons.

“We’ve got some real moral compass issues in Washington,” Langer said, according to the Sun Sentinel. “I don’t want to be in a room with those people and pretend I’m having a good time. I can’t do that. If that [angers] people, so be it.”

“I want to be careful, because mom said if you have nothing good to say about someone, then don’t say anything. I don’t have anything good to say about someone,” Kuechenberg said.

“I’ll just say my views are diametrically opposed to the president’s,” said Fernandez. “Enough said. Let’s leave it at that. I hope everyone enjoys the trip who goes.”
Jake Arrieta
Quote:
But Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta didn’t join his team in D.C. A day after the November election, he seemed to imply his support for Trump’s proposed wall at the U.S.-Mexico border in a tweet.
Did Obama cancel any of these events? NOPE.

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
This is hardly the first time ball players or hockey players either, for that matter, declined a WH invite. It happens. Won't be the last either.

"President Obama honored the 1972 Miami Dolphins this week, the only NFL team to complete an undefeated season (sorry, Patriots fans). However, three members of that team — Hall of Fame center Jim Langer, guard Bob Kuechenberg, and defensive tackle Manny Fernandez — declined the invite, citing political differences."

18 athletes who refused to visit the White House

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
All the Resistance™ had to do was NOT BE CRAZY, but they just can’t help themselves:

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1003985222722031617

Score another victory for Trump over the prima donnas in the NFL.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
All the Resistance™ had to do was NOT BE CRAZY, but they just can’t help themselves:

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/1003985222722031617

Score another victory for Trump over the prima donnas in the NFL.
How is this a score for Trump?

He looks like a whiny crybaby who can't understand that others don't agree with him.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Shrug, no self respecting person would deign to even be in the same room as that thing. I don't blame the players for declining to go one bit. Makes me proud.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, no self respecting person would deign to even be in the same room as that thing. I don't blame the players for declining to go one bit. Makes me proud.
It won't be long before Trump has alienated everyone on the planet except snake handlers and white supremacists. And the Trumpies call that "winning".

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Less than 10 players. LOL.

The Eagles should have told the WH that all players would should up. The photo with just Trump and nine players would have been hilarious. He would have been venting and tweeting for weeks about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies