Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 04:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

It's like a scramble of Musical Chairs in Minnesota ...... the shocker is that Keith Ellison (co-chair of the DNC) has joined the game and will leave Washington D.C.

Filing deadline drama: Ellison, Omar moves scramble Minnesota politics |MPR

Attorney General Lori Swanson's decision Monday to leap into the Minnesota governor's race is setting off a chain reaction Tuesday of politicians seeking new offices.

The biggest political shake-up came around noon when DFL U.S. House Rep. Keith Ellison came to the Minnesota Secretary of State's office to file to run for Minnesota attorney general, throwing a wild card into that race and opening the floodgates to congressional candidates for Ellison's seat.

A few hours after Ellison's filing, state Rep. Ilhan Omar, DFL-Minneapolis, signed up to run for his 5th District congressional seat. Elected to the Minnesota House in 2016, Omar became the nation's first Somali-American legislator, so her run for Congress is potentially historic.

"Shocker" to us perhaps -- but clearly a well planned operation in Minnesota Politics.
Wonder if Ellison bothered to read Tom Perez and Nancy Pelosi into the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
keith didn't like being second banana to perez. I believe he felt cheated out of the dnc chair.

the progressive state attorney generals have become major players in the 'resistance', as you know. i'm not at all surprised ellison decided to take the chance with being elected to this ag office. a low ranking 'congress critter' or a powerless dnc deputy chair wasn't high profile enough for him. he is very ambitious.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
He believes that our criminal justice system is systemically racist against minorities and that police departments target them. He is likely to go after police departments if he wins. Very dangerous candidate.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Stand by for sharia law.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:03 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Who shoves a microphone in front of a State AG? He'll miss the attention. Can you name 3?

Old 06-05-2018, 05:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
keith didn't like being second banana to perez. I believe he felt cheated out of the dnc chair.

the progressive state attorney generals have become major players in the 'resistance', as you know. i'm not at all surprised ellison decided to take the chance with being elected to this ag office. a low ranking 'congress critter' or a powerless dnc deputy chair wasn't high profile enough for him. he is very ambitious.
Ellison says he will remain as "co-chair" for the DNC ...... which is probably ground breaking.
I don't recall any State AG assuming that power.

HuffPo had the story 4 hours ago.

Keith Ellison To Run For Minnesota Attorney General
Recent candidate shake-ups created space for the progressive congressman. |Huffington Post

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) is running for attorney general of Minnesota, setting off a potentially history-making battle that is sure to attract national attention.

He officially filed the paperwork for his candidacy on Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement explaining his decision, Ellison promised to continue the work he began in Congress fighting for consumer rights, labor rights, immigrant rights, antitrust reform and a clean environment.

“I am running to be the People’s Lawyer to hold those in power accountable and to protect and defend all Minnesotans,†he said.

Ellison, one of the staunchest progressives in Congress and the current deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee, would likely be the first Muslim statewide elected official in the country’s history. Ellison was the first-ever Muslim member of Congress when he took office in 2007.

“Keith Ellison continues to create watershed moments for the American Muslim community with his ascension in American politics,†said Robert McCaw, government affairs director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. (McCaw believes that Ellison would be the country’s first Muslim statewide elected official, but could not say so with certainty.)

n October, Perez removed several Ellison backers from DNC leadership posts. Perez also recently endorsed New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) against Ellison’s wishes.

Ellison’s decision not to seek re-election for Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District has prompted several new candidates to jump into the race before the filing deadline at the end of the day on Tuesday.

The contender with the most national name recognition is state Rep. Ilhan Omar (D), a progressive who arrived in the country as a refugee and in 2016 became the country’s first Somali-American female state lawmaker.

2016??? She has a LOT of "experience". Perhaps she will be the New Female Obama.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Ellison says he will remain as "co-chair" for the DNC ...... which is probably ground breaking.
I don't recall any State AG assuming that power.

HuffPo had the story 4 hours ago.

Keith Ellison To Run For Minnesota Attorney General
Recent candidate shake-ups created space for the progressive congressman. |Huffington Post

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) is running for attorney general of Minnesota, setting off a potentially history-making battle that is sure to attract national attention.

He officially filed the paperwork for his candidacy on Tuesday afternoon.

In a statement explaining his decision, Ellison promised to continue the work he began in Congress fighting for consumer rights, labor rights, immigrant rights, antitrust reform and a clean environment.

“I am running to be the People’s Lawyer to hold those in power accountable and to protect and defend all Minnesotans,” he said.

Ellison, one of the staunchest progressives in Congress and the current deputy chair of the Democratic National Committee, would likely be the first Muslim statewide elected official in the country’s history. Ellison was the first-ever Muslim member of Congress when he took office in 2007.

“Keith Ellison continues to create watershed moments for the American Muslim community with his ascension in American politics,” said Robert McCaw, government affairs director for the Council on American-Islamic Relations. (McCaw believes that Ellison would be the country’s first Muslim statewide elected official, but could not say so with certainty.)

n October, Perez removed several Ellison backers from DNC leadership posts. Perez also recently endorsed New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) against Ellison’s wishes.

Ellison’s decision not to seek re-election for Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District has prompted several new candidates to jump into the race before the filing deadline at the end of the day on Tuesday.

The contender with the most national name recognition is state Rep. Ilhan Omar (D), a progressive who arrived in the country as a refugee and in 2016 became the country’s first Somali-American female state lawmaker.

2016??? She has a LOT of "experience". Perhaps she will be the New Female Obama.
I think I read awhile back that rep. omar was allegedly married to her brother at one time. I'll try to find the articles.

well, the articles have miraculously disappeared. but I did find this article with screen shots.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...back-pages.php

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-05-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

Exactly. He's all about advancing himself. He probably has eyes on being "first American Muslim President".

It's interesting how little the liberal MSM is paying attention to this dubious character (or Ilhan Omar and her shenanigans) now that he has been accuse of abuse.

Or maybe not...

Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM

923 posts, read 495,261 times
Ellison is hoping to run against a female opponent as he already has a history of beating women.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Ellison is hoping to run against a female opponent as he already has a history of beating women.
Brutal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies