Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im on the fence with this topic.
On 1 hand I absolutely believe in the right of a business to decline service. That goes with the right of a citizen not to do business with a company they dont want to.

For example I would never do business with any company owned by a race baiter like Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton. I would happily do business in a shop owned by Emit Smith, Jerry Rice, Colin Powell or even Obama. I disagreed with his politics but he was an ok person in my book.

I would never do business or stay in a hotel owned by Trump.
So if the consumer has the right to decline business for any reason what so ever, it seems fair that businesses should have the same freedom.
I would have no issue if a business declined service to pluckers or any other racist group.
Most won't, discriminate based on race or gender due to the need to stay in business and make a profit.
Yeah, well I don’t think that’s a safe assumption. I sure as hell wouldn’t put money on it.

To believe such a thing requires a LOT of trust, and there’s not that much trust in the world IMO. This is Trump’s America after all. True colors are being exposed everyday.

Nah...we need anti discrimination laws for businesses on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t know how many would discriminate if given the choice, but I don’t have as much faith in the goodwill of my fellow Americans as you do. I trust the anti discrimination laws more than I do the people. That ain’t saying much because I don’t trust the people at all...and in the era of Trump, even more so.

And yeah..one is too damn many. Everywhere you can get service, I better get the same level of service at a minimum. No exceptions.

You’re free to have your libertarian paradise, but not at a cost to my comfort and convenience.
I can agree with you on this, but Im on the fence though. If we the consumer are allowed to discriminate against a business for any reason what so ever, and be honest we all do, then shouldn't a business have those same freedoms?
For example I discriminate against big box stores almost to the point of an obsession. I hate them. Yeah I know they hire lots of people. I also know that lots doesn't make them good.
I avoid any business that likes to make political statements. Worse still forces it's employees to take part in these statements. Like the place I retired from. Even if I agree with them, I don't like that it is forced. An example is the United Way drive. Oh you don't have to give, but those who do get recognized and those who dont stand out. Shamed into giving if you.

There are places I won't eat in. If I know they dont like whites or biracial couples. I went to one in Phili and learned quick.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Yeah, well I don’t think that’s a safe assumption. I sure as hell wouldn’t put money on it.

To believe such a thing requires a LOT of trust, and there’s not that much trust in the world IMO. This is Trump’s America after all. True colors are being exposed everyday.

Nah...we need anti discrimination laws for businesses on the books.
Listen I am not against you on this one. I think people are A-Holes and race doesn't matter. I don't trust anyone to do anything right by me on their own. I do trust them to do right by what's good for their wallet.
That baker who didn't want to do a cake for a gay couple? An A-hole who either really believed in his faith or was banking on minimal fallout. Either way he has received millions in free advertising.
The Starbucks thing? Shrug Ill never loiter in a restaurant so that mind set is beyond me. I think it's beyond most of us. Then again they weren't denied service, just loiter time.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
That is where we are headed. Most people these days want the 1950s back in their entirety and that includes superior status for whites. It's amazing the shift in the attitude of our country in just a few years.
It is race blind actually and favors nobody since everyone can disriminate against anyone else. Of course private businesses should be able to discriminate .

Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/390...eople-of-color

Yeah. Why are Republicans supporting people like this? When challenged on it, once he realized how poorly some folks took it he said:

So apparently he hopes it will be OK later.
Of course any private business should have the right to discriminate. That's called property rights. Because one has the right to, doesn't mean they should. People should protest a businesss that does that.

More nonsense from the nanny staters who want government to raise them from cradle to grave.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Look, I know so many of you on the right wish to return to the good old days, but again...IT’S AGAINST THE DAMN LAW to discriminate in business based on color.

Are we supposed to go backwards as a nation to the point that people have to check and see if they’ll be served before they go into an establishment? That’s what you right wingers really want?
No we care about the rights of the individual. A cornerstone of our founding. No one ever teach you that?

Quote:
Sure he retracted it...AFTER he’d already said it. Point being, why did he say it in the first place?

Oh, I know why! Because that’s what he believes. Trump is really bringing out the true nature of conservatives.
You either believe in freedom and rights or you don't. Only someone ignorant about our history would want immoral government to be a moral leader. But the progressives are nothing but children who want government to raise them from cradle to grave.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And it would follow that he has no right to utilize infrastructure that the folks he discriminates against have helped pay for with their tax dollars. See how that should work?
lol No it doesn't work that way. The business owner paid into it. That is why the Civil Rights Act came about, to reverse government tyranny. Everyone pays into the system so a public service cannot discriminate.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:34 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I can agree with you on this, but Im on the fence though. If we the consumer are allowed to discriminate against a business for any reason what so ever, and be honest we all do, then shouldn't a business have those same freedoms?
For example I discriminate against big box stores almost to the point of an obsession. I hate them. Yeah I know they hire lots of people. I also know that lots doesn't make them good.
I avoid any business that likes to make political statements. Worse still forces it's employees to take part in these statements. Like the place I retired from. Even if I agree with them, I don't like that it is forced. An example is the United Way drive. Oh you don't have to give, but those who do get recognized and those who dont stand out. Shamed into giving if you.

There are places I won't eat in. If I know they dont like whites or biracial couples. I went to one in Phili and learned quick.
You're slipping into apples and oranges territory here. It's one thing to require a business to serve all comers, and quite another to demand that consumers patronize every business in their community. For one thing, the latter wouldn't even be possible.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Nope!

Totally a bad idea...

If you were gay, black or simply someone that supports their cause why would you want to sweep this under the rug and be given them your hard earned money? That makes no sense to me.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
And it would follow that he has no right to utilize infrastructure that the folks he discriminates against have helped pay for with their tax dollars. See how that should work?
If he pays his taxes why not? Taxes are what fund the infrastructure. Free market would allow business owners to cater to the business he turns away ideally.

Again, not something I necessarily agree with and in my experience you need as much business as you can get to make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies