Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why would there already be a candidate over a year before the first primaries?

Mitt Romney hadn't thrown his hat in in early 2010, and The Cheeto didn't announce his candidacy until June of 2015 for the 16 elections
And BTW I have to note I find it funny that the same people who whined over the term 'Obummer' (which I never used) now call President Trump The Cheeto.

Me, I always referred to 'President Obama' and now to 'President Trump.' It is a simple matter of respect for the U.S. presidency.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
From OP's link:

I'd like liberals on here to explain to me why they tried to block ANY reduction in the corp. rate, and now claim they would support a 10 point (29 pct) reduction? Which is their REAL position on the issue?
The issue is that 35% is the statutory tax rate and nearly no companies pay that rate. The effective tax rate is what companies pay and that rate ranges from 15%-28% depending on what sector we are looking at. For example, companies listed on the S&P 500 pay an average effective tax rate of 23%-27%.

GE and Amazon pay no or extremely low tax rates. GE had at least a three year stretch in which they paid 0% corporate income taxes and in one of those years they actually received a refund.

If companies were actually paying the statutory rate of 35% reducing that rate could make sense. However, reducing the statutory rate to 21% makes no sense at all. Companies will end up paying effective tax rates perhaps under 10%. That's insane.

If one reviews GDP data over the last thirty years one will see as the percentage of corporate profits (as a % of GDP) goes up the percentage of corporate income taxes goes down (as a % of GDP). This inverse relationship is unnatural. If profits are rising tax collections should be rising as well.

Most of the general public has no clue about what I just wrote though nor do they even care. They rather hear about commie, the gays, trans, illegals, why universal health care is bad , abortion, the poors, or how the Govt is coming to take my guns. Completey oblivious to the fact that oligopolies and oligarchs are bleeding them dry.

Its gonna be a hell of ride though. Might as well grab a six pack and watch the highlights on all the fake news channels.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Why would there already be a candidate over a year before the first primaries?

Mitt Romney hadn't thrown his hat in in early 2010, and The Cheeto didn't announce his candidacy until June of 2015 for the 16 elections
If you call Trump "the Cheeto" then I guess you must call Obama "the Dog-Turd"....because his skin is exactly the color of dog poop.

Or is it only cool to compare white people's skin to stuff?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
If you call Trump "the Cheeto" then I guess you must call Obama "the Dog-Turd"....because his skin is exactly the color of dog poop.

Ba-boom! That is some fair logic right there.

When can we also talk about Obozo's self-loathing of his white DNA?

Old 06-11-2018, 04:11 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
And BTW I have to note I find it funny that the same people who whined over the term 'Obummer' (which I never used) now call President Trump The Cheeto.

Me, I always referred to 'President Obama' and now to 'President Trump.' It is a simple matter of respect for the U.S. presidency.
I don't respect tRump, and never wanted him as president; nothing has changed in that respect

Old 06-11-2018, 04:13 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:

Nope, because I respected Obama, where as I have nothing but contempt for the overweight, narcissistic, toupee wearing man with an overdose of spray on tan who is in the oval office now

Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:

Wait... I thought the Cheeto comment was in regards to the instances when his hair looks orange, not his skin tone.

I definitely am not feeling your Obama comment - since I am black as well.

Whatever the case may be, don't join them in the gutter...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:12 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Sure but you have to at least have some possibilities in mind. Most of the Dem leadership is aged. Corey Booker was a possibility but IMO has tarnished himself of late. Kamala Harris is said to be another. I can't say I know enough about her to assess. I don't know of any others.
Well, they are already looking to freeze out Bernie.

DNC Rule Change May Block Bernie Sanders from Running as Democrat in 2020

HIllary is out fundraising along other 2020 dem hopefuls, I just keep waiting for the "change of heart" moment when she announces she is running again.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
From OP's link:

I'd like liberals on here to explain to me why they tried to block ANY reduction in the corp. rate, and now claim they would support a 10 point (29 pct) reduction? Which is their REAL position on the issue?
Obama proposed reducing the corporate tax rate to 28% back in 2012. Here repeatedly proposed corporate tax cuts during his second term. These proposals were rejected by the GOP.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Quote:
That is the ONLY way to address it in my opinion. Even liberal pundit Bob Woodward has said that the essence of the problem is DC's "spending addiction." When we give them more revenue, they just spend more. If we can't address the spending, we will never address the debt.

Yes. And it seems fairly obvious that we can't trust DC with the money we already give them, so why would we trust them enough to give them more? Government waste over the years has contributed a LOT to the debt and until we get that under control, I can't see that it's fair for the taxplayers to give more money to a bunch of spendthrifts who have little or no regard for the actual American taxpayer. If your kid blows their paycheck on stupid stuff and doesn't pay bills, would you continue to bail them out? Would you quit after the first time? Third time? 50 years later? At what point do we all get fed up enough to say **** off, you don't deserve any more of our money? I think it's well past time that we do.

I figured out how to make things work with one paycheck covering three people and a mortgage. It's time government figures out how to stretch the dollars we send them a bit more as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.