Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

I just read an article that referenced a United way study on how a large percentage of the population in California is struggling just to meet basic needs .

Housing costs and the cost of pretty much everything keep going up . Even during the housing crises rents were going up .
There is a lot of talk from the politicians about affordable housing but there will never be enough of it to meet the demand .

The most practical thing for most people seems to be to move . I know when this is suggested people say “but people can’t afford to move “ . Maybe we should have government programs and charities educating people about lower cost of living places with job opportunities and affordability and also to assist with moving expenses ? I really think there are a lot of people that don’t realize what housing costs in other areas and they think there are no jobs in lower cost of living places but this isn’t reality especially today . Unemployment is pretty low now even in places where it was really high .

If someone wants to actually help people this seems like a more realistic way to actually help . This doesn’t have to even be moving out of state but even within the state to a lower cost of living place .

Having this many people in poverty isn’t a sign of a strong and healthy economy , despite California being the 5 or 6 largest economy in the world .

1 in 3 Households Struggle: More than one in three California households (33%) do not earn sufficient income to meet basic needs

Working hard, but not earning enough: Of the estimated 3.3 million households in California that fall below the Real Cost Measure, 9 in 10 have at least one working adult (when you control for households led by seniors and people with disabilities)

Housing Burden: Nearly 4 in 10 households in California (38%) pay more than 30% of their income on housing. Households below the Real Cost Measure report spending from 45% of their income on housing to as much as 79% of their income for households below the federal poverty level.

https://www.unitedwaysca.org/realcost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
They are probably the same people who voted for the people now in office. I don't want them in my state turning it into another California with their inane laws and regulations and high taxes to support social programs.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
So, people who don't make enough should move to your house?

How much of your own personal finances are you willing to give up for them?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
So, people who don't make enough should move to your house?

How much of your own personal finances are you willing to give up for them?
Did I say that ?

Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 AM

25,568 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Gee....... I dunno.

The people who struggle the most in my state are those who are already in low cost areas. Where would they go?

FWIW, in our red state the low cost depressed areas are decidedly Democrat in representation. I only say that because this is the politics forum. I don't for a moment believe that the plight of our delta region has anything to do with the fact of their representation. They could all vote Republican tomorrow and nothing would change.

For anyone interested, here's an article about the Mississippi Delta. There are 17 counties included in The Delta count. Every one of them is fascinating, and every one of them has been losing population for many years.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...rty/544601001/

Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Gee....... I dunno.

The people who struggle the most in my state are those who are already in low cost areas. Where would they go?

FWIW, in our red state the low cost depressed areas are decidedly Democrat in representation. I only say that because this is the politics forum. I don't for a moment believe that the plight of our delta region has anything to do with the fact of their representation. They could all vote Republican tomorrow and nothing would change.

For anyone interested, here's an article about the Mississippi Delta. There are 17 counties included in The Delta count. Every one of them is fascinating, and every one of them has been losing population for many years.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...rty/544601001/
From the article

“It's not easy raising five children alone," Allen said, fighting back tears. "No, you didn't ask me to have them, true. So, I chose to. So that means I'm responsible for these people."”

At least she does admit she chose to have 5 kids . I’d also like to see incentives for people not to have kids if they can’t afford them .. but of course this is another controversial issue .

Has anybody really tried it though ? Every policy or idea is controversial in the beginning .

It is a shame the poverty in Mississippi . California actually has the highest poverty rate when you adjust for cost of living . Making it even worse than Mississippi.

We need better public education and an education that includes talking about money and finance which public education doesn’t teach for the most part . That’s even if you go to “good schools “

You have kids that even graduate college that know very very little about personal finance .

Old 06-12-2018, 11:13 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
People over exaggerate. Helping people soes not mean make them millions, or get them a BMW. Just make it so no one has to fall into homelessness. The upside is that you wont have through masses lf homeless people.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
People over exaggerate. Helping people soes not mean make them millions, or get them a BMW. Just make it so no one has to fall into homelessness. The upside is that you wont have through masses lf homeless people.
Yeah homelessness is a large issue of course . It’s economic , mental health , health , drug/alcohol abuse all combined .

There are a huge amount in poverty though of course many more people than are homeless .Much of it is due to the housing costs .
These same people could live much better elsewhere even if they made a bit less in wages and it might not even be necessarily true they would make less elsewhere .

There are parts of the country that need workers so it could be a win win.

These aren’t people on welfare they are working and often hard but it’s just that housing is taking a huge chunk of their income .

In many places one could own property for what they pay in rent on small run down apartments .

Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I just read an article that referenced a United way study on how a large percentage of the population in California is struggling just to meet basic needs .

Housing costs and the cost of pretty much everything keep going up . Even during the housing crises rents were going up .
There is a lot of talk from the politicians about affordable housing but there will never be enough of it to meet the demand .

The most practical thing for most people seems to be to move . I know when this is suggested people say “but people can’t afford to move “ . Maybe we should have government programs and charities educating people about lower cost of living places with job opportunities and affordability and also to assist with moving expenses ? I really think there are a lot of people that don’t realize what housing costs in other areas and they think there are no jobs in lower cost of living places but this isn’t reality especially today . Unemployment is pretty low now even in places where it was really high .

If someone wants to actually help people this seems like a more realistic way to actually help . This doesn’t have to even be moving out of state but even within the state to a lower cost of living place .

Having this many people in poverty isn’t a sign of a strong and healthy economy , despite California being the 5 or 6 largest economy in the world .

1 in 3 Households Struggle: More than one in three California households (33%) do not earn sufficient income to meet basic needs

Working hard, but not earning enough: Of the estimated 3.3 million households in California that fall below the Real Cost Measure, 9 in 10 have at least one working adult (when you control for households led by seniors and people with disabilities)

Housing Burden: Nearly 4 in 10 households in California (38%) pay more than 30% of their income on housing. Households below the Real Cost Measure report spending from 45% of their income on housing to as much as 79% of their income for households below the federal poverty level.

https://www.unitedwaysca.org/realcost
All the areas with jobs (SF, NYC, Boston, Seattle, Atlanta) are expensive with the possible exception of Atlanta.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:34 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Might work for some buuut.

Im in NJ and know a struggling couple (more than one but one in particular). They rely on her mom for babysitting. Mom is going NOWHERE. If they had to pay for it they would be just as bad off in a lower cost area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies