Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 11:24 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is a scam. We have decades to prepare for "summer driving season". Prices go up when there are shortages or unforseen circumstances. "Summer driving season" is neither.

I don't care how prepared one is, there are still marginal costs to ramp up production. People want more money for longer hours and standby labor is not as productive. And even if it is a scam lots of people are trying to scam the oil companies out of their "excess profits". So I would not blame them.

But it gets pretty complicated. As we can see fuel prices were high when the economy was crap.

Historical Gas Price Charts - Gasbuddy Gas Prices .

what are people complaining about now?

Of course the reason in that case was quite sad. When housing collapsed and no one trusted our financial system , people moved to gold and oil. Oil was being used as an investment instrument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We are returning to normal rates. The economy is booming, can handle the increases and it keeps inflation in check.

Anything below 6% is still a bargain. You can whine when we hit 12-16% like we did when many of us bought our first homes.

Good job Trump.
Yeah and people were still able to make it work it seems . Also I’m sure many people including seniors would love if if they could make 12% in a savings account like back in the day instead of under 1% like it is now .

Low interest rates also encourage riskier and speculative investing in order to seek higher returns .

Old 06-14-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Well you are in RE right? surely you see the danger of an imploding housing market due to interest rates making these historically unaffordable housing prices even more unaffordable.

Normally i would agree under 6 is fine.

But RE pricing is not normal it is massively inflated in many states and higher rates will hurt pricing. I know of course that historically that is not accurate, but this time i belive it is and i do very well getting these things correct.

Our economy is too dependent on cash flows from rising asset prices, especially RE.

No one want to fix it so away we go.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:38 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
And what if it doesn't come down? At least not for a long time?

Maybe we will learn a lesson. Probably not though. People who save have no obligation to prop up people's home prices.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I don't care how prepared one is, there are still marginal costs to ramp up production. People want more money for longer hours and standby labor is not as productive. And even if it is a scam lots of people are trying to scam the oil companies out of their "excess profits". So I would not blame them.

But it gets pretty complicated. As we can see fuel prices were high when the economy was crap.

Historical Gas Price Charts - Gasbuddy Gas Prices .

what are people complaining about now?

Of course the reason in that case was quite sad. When housing collapsed and no one trusted our financial system , people moved to gold and oil. Oil was being used as an investment instrument.
What is the complaint? The price of oil is greatly affected by a ton of things that have absolutely nothing to do with the fundamentals of price.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:58 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:

But RE pricing is not normal it is massively inflated in many states and higher rates will hurt pricing. I know of course that historically that is not accurate, but this time i belive it is and i do very well getting these things correct.
A lot of the higher home prices is due to investors snapping up homes due to cheap rates. Higher rates may cause these investors to go elsewhere and actually make more homes affordable for first time home buyers.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,818 times
Cracks me up how people don't understand anything about economics. The interest rates have been artificially low. Raising rates staves off inflation in a booming economy.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What is the complaint? The price of oil is greatly affected by a ton of things that have absolutely nothing to do with the fundamentals of price.

I am not complaining. However the never Trumpers are trying to suggest all things are horrible because Trumps makes everything horrible. And yet, compared to just a few years ago, gas prices are quite tame.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:02 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,266 times
Quote:
Well you are in RE right? surely you see the danger of an imploding housing market due to interest rates making these historically unaffordable housing prices even more unaffordable.

Normally i would agree under 6 is fine.

I hate to say it but, real estate prices do need to come down some. Cheap money has led to this massive increase in home valuations and I don't think the true value matches what the prices are. Sure, a house will appraise for $300k but that doesn't mean that is what that same house should actually sell for. Real estate ran up hard in the early to mid 2000s and it's doing it again. I think the market needs to be slowed down a little bit in order to keep from having a repeat of the bubble popping. I think this even if it means some people will lose some of their perceived equity. The question could be, lose 5% or lose 40%? Sadly, this will hurt me and my business but I think it needs to be done. Cut off a foot to save the leg.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I am not complaining. However the never Trumpers are trying to suggest all things are horrible because Trumps makes everything horrible. And yet, compared to just a few years ago, gas prices are quite tame.
My arguments are the same ones I've argued for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies