Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM

113 posts, read 277,507 times

Advertisements

You do not even understand how dangerous these Marxist ideas are! Let's all turn off the lights NOW! In a free, capitalist and modern society, people choose to turn off the lights for an hour if they want to, but trying to impose these pseudo intellectual views through such a popular website is borderline Marxism. Actually, I was very annoyed by doing a Google search while the website lights were "off". They should have an option, if you want to support Earth Day, go here and then you can do your "lights off" search if you sympathize with their Communist views. Of course, this did not surprise me given the fact that Google is located in one of the most liberal areas of the country (Silicon Valley). It reminded me of a Communist craphole regime like North Korea where the government turns the electricity off everyday at 9pm. Say no to Barack Kim Jong-Il
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 AM

357 posts, read 891,282 times
Do you even take yourself seriously anymore? I can just see you laughing to yourself while you're writing this stuff. In the words of The Jesus - "Laughable, man."

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
What is with these Marxists at Google turning the light off? I understand that conservation is necessary but trying to impose these Liberal-Marxist views on all its users seems a little hypocritical since they are a corporation. Is this a little preview of what Obama's term is going to be like?
I think in your rush to get angry about something you misunderstood, or maybe didnt take the time to click the link right under their search box and under your nose, if you even looked at the page yourself.

Earth Hour is not Google's project. They're just one of many capitalist operations supporting it. They were giving it a thumbs up as a good idea.

Earth Hour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, how on earth can you call Google "Marxist"?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
You do not even understand how dangerous these Marxist ideas are! Let's all turn off the lights NOW! In a free, capitalist and modern society, people choose to turn off the lights for an hour if they want to, but trying to impose these pseudo intellectual views through such a popular website is borderline Marxism. Actually, I was very annoyed by doing a Google search while the website lights were "off". They should have an option, if you want to support Earth Day, go here and then you can do your "lights off" search if you sympathize with their Communist views. Of course, this did not surprise me given the fact that Google is located in one of the most liberal areas of the country (Silicon Valley). It reminded me of a Communist craphole regime like North Korea where the government turns the electricity off everyday at 9pm. Say no to Barack Kim Jong-Il
You must be joking....if you are, Ive gotta say, that's pretty funny.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This would have been a much better campaign if it was to emphasise the reduction of use of oil or protesting over high cost of electricity. But to do this to to remind everyone about the threat of climate change, I cant just draw the connection considering that the lights were turned back on an hour later.. Wow, we saved ONE hour of fuel.. That'll save the planet.. yaaa.. now we can go turning on every appliance we own for another year..
I think...the point might be...to remind us that we can turn our lights off from time to time...and still remain....good Americans....

This is from wikipedia's Earth Hour entry:
Energy saved

According to WWF Thailand, Bangkok decreased electricity usage by 73.34 megawatts, which is equivalent to 41.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.[16] The Bangkok Post gave different figures of 165 megawatts and 102 tonnes of carbon dioxide. This was noted to be significantly less than a similar campaign initiated by Bangkok's City Hall last year in May where 530 megawatts were saved and 143 tonnes of carbon dioxide emission was cut.[17] Toronto saved 900 megawatts of electricity. Comparing to the energy demand just before Earth Hour started, 5% of electricity was saved. 8.7% was saved if measured against a typical March Saturday night.[18]
"yaaaa," yourself.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think...the point might be...to remind us that we can turn our lights off from time to time...and still remain....good Americans....

This is from wikipedia's Earth Hour entry:
Energy saved
According to WWF Thailand, Bangkok decreased electricity usage by 73.34 megawatts, which is equivalent to 41.6 tonnes of carbon dioxide.[16] The Bangkok Post gave different figures of 165 megawatts and 102 tonnes of carbon dioxide. This was noted to be significantly less than a similar campaign initiated by Bangkok's City Hall last year in May where 530 megawatts were saved and 143 tonnes of carbon dioxide emission was cut.[17] Toronto saved 900 megawatts of electricity. Comparing to the energy demand just before Earth Hour started, 5% of electricity was saved. 8.7% was saved if measured against a typical March Saturday night.[18]
"yaaaa," yourself.
But.. its only part of the news.. considering that swamps or volcanos give off more carbon dioxide then what humans ever could, we humans do not really contribute to the "global warming" if in fact its due to an increase in carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

In addition, dying trees give off huge amounts of carbon dioxide, perhapse we should stop planting trees.

Its a nice idea to cut out lights to conserve power (note my previous post) but until someone connects shutting off lights, decreasing the safety on our streets, to a real affect upon global warming, since we have little affect on the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, its nothing more then a feel good action.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
I'm not a Marxist. I'm a conservative. Waste not, want not....

I've always thought it was a waste of money to keep lights on for no purpose. We need street lights for safety but lighting up the top of an empty building is a total waste.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But.. its only part of the news.. considering that swamps or volcanos give off more carbon dioxide then what humans ever could, we humans do not really contribute to the "global warming" if in fact its due to an increase in carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

In addition, dying trees give off huge amounts of carbon dioxide, perhapse we should stop planting trees.

Its a nice idea to cut out lights to conserve power (note my previous post) but until someone connects shutting off lights, decreasing the safety on our streets, to a real affect upon global warming, since we have little affect on the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, its nothing more then a feel good action.
Oh, you're just being silly.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
By the way, how on earth can you call Google "Marxist"?
Maybe he's noticed their compliance with China's internet restrictions....

Google to censor China Web searches | Tech News on ZDNet

Love their rationalizations, btw.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe he's noticed their compliance with China's internet restrictions....

Google to censor China Web searches | Tech News on ZDNet

Love their rationalizations, btw.
Google had the option of complying with China's laws or not doing business in China. It was capitalists making a decision at the corporate level. The Chinese market is freaking huge. Google is a publicly traded company that opened up a new and lucrative market for it's shareholders through compromise. If that isn't capitalism, I don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies