Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:37 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Next time start out with SPOILER ALERT. You just ruined it for me.
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. If it isn't, sorry. I kind of figured that everyone knows the basic story of GOT by now.

ETA: I only managed about two books before Martin's writing style made me want to gouge my own eyes out. Great idea, but his execution left me cold. I'll probably get lambasted for not liking them, but there are a whole lot of better authors that do similar stories in a much more reader-friendly way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Can't tell if sarcasm or not. If it isn't, sorry. I kind of figured that everyone knows the basic story of GOT by now.

ETA: I only managed about two books before Martin's writing style made me want to gouge my own eyes out. Great idea, but his execution left me cold. I'll probably get lambasted for not liking them, but there are a whole lot of better authors that do similar stories in a much more reader-friendly way.
Yes it was sarcasm. But I was referring to the Pocahantas story.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:51 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Yes it was sarcasm. But I was referring to the Pocahantas story.
Ah, gotcha. I only brought it up because I have a friend who is a history teacher and spent an entire evening railing about the lack of historical accuracy. The rest of us just stared in wonder as he questioned the ancestral lines of everyone from Walt Disney to Mel Gibson. If cell phone cameras had been around back then the video would have gone viral.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:53 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Where did the bad evil literature touch you? Did it harm you? No? Then it didnt cross the line. Look its within our laws-which laws would you like to change would be a better topic.
You can believe something is wrong with out wanting to pass a law prohibiting it.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
There are very questionable things in the Game of Thrones books. I realize it's fiction and the author can write whatever he wants. But. There are graphic details of child abuse, rape, etc. I really wondered about the author himself when I read these books. He seems to enjoy writing about these things a little too much. Very questionable. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sure, it was normal back then, but so was taking a dump as well, but we don't need to read every agonizing moment of it. So when does it cross a forbidden line?
GRRM has got you covered! After Daenerys rides the dragon for the first time...well shift happens.

Quote:
Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelt fouler. By the time the moon came up, she was shifting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shaft, but the more she shaft, the thirstier she grew.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I've been reading Game of Thrones for about a week, and was kind of upset to read that it went into graphic detail on the sex between a 13 year old girl and a 30 year old man. It's one thing to acknowledge that back in those times, certain things were normal, but it's another thing altogether to actually go into detail. What differentiates literature from pedophilia in this day and age? Back in the Archie Bunker days, it was nothing for him to say the "N" word on broadcast television, but today, that would be highly uncalled for, so why isn't GRR Marting not being called out for his questionable choice of content? Sure, it was normal back then, but so was taking a dump as well, but we don't need to read every agonizing moment of it. So when does it cross a forbidden line?
Why apply a modern concept of pedophillia to a historical timeframe?

From a historical standpoint, the onset of puberty has been the most common time for marriage and relations for girls. Not at all uncommon for toddler girls to be engaged/ promised to older men to satisfy family debt.

Delaware once defined the age of consent for girls at age 7.

Ben Carson’s mother was 13 when she married a Baptist minister, nearly 30. This was not unusual in that time/ place- Georgia.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:13 AM

10,483 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And in those times, the Roman Catholic church said that the canonical age for sex for girls was 12. (Picked up this nugget in a biography I am reading, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-the-monarchy). I know that many girls were betrothed and even married earlier than 12 years of age, for business/policy reasons. But the expectation was that the husband would refrain until the girl was 12. I am not certain that most 12 year-old girls were menstruating then, as most do today. As late as Victorian times, average age at menarche for European girls was more like 16. AFAIK, pedophilia was not prosecuted as a crime in medieval times.

Life was a lot different then.

I couldn't manage to get through the GoT books, I think the TV series is much better done than are the books. Also, I've admired Peter Dinklage for years, it is so gratifying to see him getting the recognition he has always deserved.
This isn't what I was talking about. I did say this stuff was normal back in the era the book was written for and I have no problems with writers or movies acknowledging this, but the books go into explicit detail, and it just seems alarming that a full grown man would write the sexual pleasures of a 13 year old girl in detail and no one thought that it could be a red flag in disguise. Actually, that is incorrect, there are individuals that are experts in psychology that are starting to question it. But has no one sit him down and ask him what in the world was he thinking? In fact, even the TV show decided to make everyone much older than their book counterpart.

A white girl can't even recite the lyrics of a rap song that have the N word in it without being chastised for it, so again, why aren't people calling this guy out for his explicit detail in child sex acts? If one thing is being condemned, then it all needs to be condemned.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

I can't disagree with you here. I too found his writing style horrible with no flow or rhythm.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There are very questionable things in the Game of Thrones books. I realize it's fiction and the author can write whatever he wants. But. There are graphic details of child abuse, rape, etc. I really wondered about the author himself when I read these books. He seems to enjoy writing about these things a little too much. Very questionable. Anyway, that's my opinion.
Thank you, you seem to understand what I was trying to talk about. Everyone else obviously has reading comprehension problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies