Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:03 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What has become of the Democrat party? That is the more important question.

How did it become the illegal alien party? Is that even legal?

This is a ludicrous statement. The democrats position on immigration can be summed up in one phrase: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Democrats care about immigration laws and enforcing them (see Obama's deportation numbers) but we realize there are instances in which individuals need not be treated like criminals (see refugees and children brought here at a very young age).

I know so many republicans that are decent people that would NEVER deny a needy child something to their face but have no problem treating a 3 year old Syrian refugee like some sort of enemy. For some reason there is a disconnect that makes these people not human to them. But for the grace of God go I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:13 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
This is a ludicrous statement. The democrats position on immigration can be summed up in one phrase: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Democrats care about immigration laws and enforcing them (see Obama's deportation numbers) but we realize there are instances in which individuals need not be treated like criminals (see refugees and children brought here at a very young age).

I know so many republicans that are decent people that would NEVER deny a needy child something to their face but have no problem treating a 3 year old Syrian refugee like some sort of enemy. For some reason there is a disconnect that makes these people not human to them. But for the grace of God go I.
Obama administration deported in record numbers, plus focused on criminals.

When Reagan's amnesty bill was passed, Republicans stripped employer sanctions at the last minute.

They have never been reinstated. That's exactly where this should start.

Currently, employer get a slap on the wrist, if that. The cost of doing business.

If every business that employed people without the proper documentation had their assets seized until it could be determined how much they owed in back taxes, how much they benefited from their illegal actions, our immigration problem would come to a halt.

We all know that.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:15 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
What has become of the Republican Party?

Think of it as the morning after with lots of clean-up to be done as soon as the drunks are all sent packing.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:

you are so wrong

1. the lying liberals say "immigration reform" yet they dont talk about reforming the process, they dont talk about making the test easier, they dont talk about streamlining and making the process shorter....all they talk about is another(we have had 9 since 1965) amnesty

2. obozo's deportation numbers are not what they seem
Quote:
the Los Angeles Times wrote:
A closer examination shows that immigrants living illegally in most of the continental U.S. are less likely to be deported today than before Obama came to office, according to immigration data. Expulsions of people who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009.High deportation figures are misleading http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...402-story.html
3. IF the "democrats position on immigration can be summed up in one phrase: do unto others as you would have them do unto you."..... then they would be all about " you dont REWARD an ILLEGAL action"

Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Obama administration deported in record numbers, plus focused on criminals.

When Reagan's amnesty bill was passed, Republicans stripped employer sanctions at the last minute.

They have never been reinstated. That's exactly where this should start.

Currently, employer get a slap on the wrist, if that. The cost of doing business.

If every business that employed people without the proper documentation had their assets seized until it could be determined how much they owed in back taxes, how much they benefited from their illegal actions, our immigration problem would come to a halt.

We all know that.
it was ted Kennedy's bill just like all the others

the flood gates were opened in 1965...EVERY amnesty bill was written by ted kennedy....

Quote:
In 1986 Senator Kennedy said, ‘This amnesty will give citizenship to only 1.1 to 1.3 million illegal aliens. We will secure the borders henceforth. We will never again bring forward another amnesty bill like this.’
old liberal ted lied

as usual all liberal can do is lie

Ronald Reagan was opposed to illegal immigration and amnesty. In fact, if you do a little research you will find that stopping illegal immigration was part of the Republican National Committee’s platform back then and Ronald Reagan ran on that platform.

The 1986 Immigration Reform Act that rewarded illegal aliens with amnesty was known as the Simpson-Massoli bill of 1986. When first drafted, the bill was suppose to make it a criminal offense for aliens who were not authorized to work in the United States a federal criminal act and that it would be a federal crime for employers to hire illegal aliens.

Here's what happened, the Democrats in Congress refused to sign on this bill unless the 1.5 million illegal aliens already thought to be in the country illegally and would qualify for amnesty were rewarded amnesty. (reason being, if these illegal’s were to become U.S. citizens, guess what party they would most likely vote for ? )

So the amnesty part was added on to the bill other wise the Democrats wouldn't sign on. And to muffle the out cry, the American people were told that this amnesty was a one time thing and would never be repeated again.

Well the bill passed both houses of Congress and President Reagan signed the bill. In the inner circles of the administration, Ronald Reagan was to have said he may have made a mistake by signing the bill.
Guess what ?, it wasn't 1.5 million illegal aliens who would have qualified for amnesty. It turns out that over 3 million were rewarded with amnesty, mostly because of the fraud that took place during the amnesty process. Phony rent receipts, phony pay check stubs, liberal judges expunging criminal records of illegal aliens!!!

And after the bill became law, you had Teddy Kennedy watering down the enforcement part of the bill that had to do with enforcing and prosecuting employers who hired illegal aliens.

Here is Ted Kennedy commenting on the 1965 immigration bill,Quote
“The bill will not flood our cities with immigrants. It will not upset the ethnic mix of our society. It will not relax the standards of admission.†End of Quote.

In 1994, Ted Kennedy’s Section 245(i) Amnesty gave legal residence and jobs to 578,000 illegal aliens. It was a temporary rolling amnesty primarily for extended family members of immigrants who instead of waiting in line, come on to the country illegally.

In 1997, Ted Kennedy’s extension of the Section 245(i) rolling amnesty was followed by an increasing flow of illegal immigration.

In 1997, Ted Kennedy also won an amnesty for close to one million illegal aliens from Central America. Illegal immigration sped up some more.

In 1998, Ted Kennedy won an amnesty for 125,000 illegal aliens from Haiti.

In 2000, Ted Kennedy got the so-called Late Amnesty, legalizing another 400,000 illegal aliens who claimed that they missed out on Kennedy’s 1986 amnesty.

In 2000, Ted Kennedy also won the LIFE Act Amnesty for an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens. It was another reinstatement of the rolling Section 245(i) amnesty...an estimated 900,000 illegal aliens. Illegal immigration accelerated.

again what can you count on... liberals will lie no matter what

liberalism (fascism) is a mental disease

Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
This is a ludicrous statement. The democrats position on immigration can be summed up in one phrase: do unto others as you would have them do unto you............
Pretty ludicrous position.
I know if I was trespassing, I sure wouldn't want to be arrested for it!

Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
First of all, the GOP never wanted Trump. I find it remarkable that the "sage" writer at The Economist so easily glosses over the fact that Trump essentially invaded the GOP, since it was useful for his goal, and he wasn't invited. Starting with the now (in)famous debate where he accused Megyn Kelly of being a pain because of lady problems, every debate was RNC/all other candidates vs Trump. At various points, it was like Jeb!, Cruz and Kasich were running mates, not primary opponents, as they spent all their time going afer Trump and Trump alone, almost never each other. The RNC made it clear they didn't want Trump, and the whole brokered convention theory, no matter what the vote totals and wishes of the delegates were, lasted literally until the moment they said OK, gosh darn it, that guy won and sadly, he's the nominee.

Then came the recounts, which the GOP and the RNC both waffled on, hardly getting behind him and in many cases, actively working to overturn the election because Hillary was always seen as more palatable even to the GOP.

Then comes the last 17 months of his Presidency, with the Senate, House, the bureaucracy, the RNC, etc all working and speaking against him every freaking chance they get. McCain, McConnell, Ryan, Flake, Sass et al...they never shut up about how much they oppose him. His core campaign promise is immigration crackdown, and the Senate and House GOP has fought him at ever single turn on that issue.

f anything, when asking what happened to the Republican party, I'd ask when did they become the slightly more authoritarian wing of the Democrats such that they oppose the man more in line with their stated party platform than anyone since Coolidge? Trump is, quite literally, running the executive branch more closely according to conservative and stated Republican platform principles than anyone since 1929. So if I am pondering what has happened to whom, I am pondering what happened to Republicans that makes them reflexively hate/oppose someone so closely aligned with their stated platform and ideology? Are they really that disconnected from their promises once they take office that they simply cannot fathom the guy who governs as the same Republican he campaigned as?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
The democrats position on immigration can be summed up in one phrase: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
If I went to a foreign country's border and entered illegally, then I would expect to be punished for breaking their law. That is the perfect application of the Golden Rule.

So, why the disagreement?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you have it backwards

inflation killed us under obozo, trump gave us workingclass (and everyone else) a tax cut

the globalization under the liberals has cost us jobs and pay, we need to go back to tariffs... trump is attempting to fix the globalist liberals screw-ups

the liberals have given 9 amnesties since 1965... you dont reward an illegal action... why do liberals constantly look the other way of law breakers

health insurance is NOT care.... NO doctor will turn you away, ever.... why dont liberal acknowledge their insurance scam is not about care, but about wealth redistribution

liberals are the enemy of the constitution

interest rates were WAY TOO LOW,... liberals never use their brains, all they think is free-money
I beg to differ, dear poster. The corporate cuts are permanent, while the individual changes expire at the end of 2025, just coinciding with Trump's returning to (hopeful) obscurity, if he should get two terms.

And if a working class hero's idea of health care is that all you have to do to get free care is turn up somewhere on your last legs, then I despair. A doctor will turn you away so fast your head will spin if you don't have insurance or a healthy checkbook. A hospital will take you in and charge everyone else for your care. Maybe that's the kind of medical care you've been using.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I beg to differ, dear poster. The corporate cuts are permanent, while the individual changes expire at the end of 2025, just coinciding with Trump's returning to (hopeful) obscurity, if he should get two terms.

And if a working class hero's idea of health care is that all you have to do to get free care is turn up somewhere on your last legs, then I despair. A doctor will turn you away so fast your head will spin if you don't have insurance or a healthy checkbook. A hospital will take you in and charge everyone else for your care. Maybe that's the kind of medical care you've been using.

the point is insurance has NEVER been about care, its about who is paying YOUR bill

its your health
its your body
its your doctor
its the service your doctor provides
its YOUR BILL, pay your own darn bill, dont EXPECT others to pay for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies