Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:48 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,028,742 times

Advertisements

After the Kennedy assassination Dallas was unfairly labeled "The City of Hate."

Is anyone on this forum old enough to remember if the political rhetoric back then was as bad as it is now?

I am truly stunned and saddened by what is happening in our country. Some people think it is ok to ask others to leave a restaurant based on their political beliefs. This is acceptable in America in 2018!

My question is which city is the new "City of Hate?" New York City led by the NY Times? Washington D.C. led by the Washington Post? These newspapers seem to provide the forum for hate against conservatives - especially Donald Trump.

It is very sad.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:53 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Kennedy was assassinated by a fanatical communist and he could have done that in any city. As much as the left would like to pretend that a Democrat was killed by conservatives in a southern city, that wasn't what happened.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,397,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post

Is anyone on this forum old enough to remember if the political rhetoric back then was as bad as it is now?

I am truly stunned and saddened by what is happening in our country. Some people think it is ok to ask others to leave a restaurant based on their political beliefs. This is acceptable in America in 2018!

My question is which city is the new "City of Hate?" New York City led by the NY Times? Washington D.C. led by the Washington Post? These newspapers seem to provide the forum for hate against conservatives - especially Donald Trump.

It is very sad.

If you are referring to Sarah "Hucksterbee" Sanders...she was not asked to leave due to her political beliefs. She was asked to leave because she is a damn liar and a shill for the lying Don the Con-man.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:

It is very sad.
DC because of Trump. Make America Hate Again.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:

It is very sad.
San Francisco has to be in the running, a place where it can be tough to distinguish college professors from Antifa street thugs.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,767,507 times
Quote:

It is very sad.
Are you not stunned by other things going on in this country such as kids being separated from their mothers? Are you not stunned about it costing $700 a day each to house these people in tent cities while private contractors are getting rich?

Honestly I didn't see this thread heading in this direction when I started to read it, you actually surprised me.

How can you be more concerned with a fat rich lady eating dinner than a kid being ripped from it's mother's arms? Which do you think Jesus and baby Jesus cares more about?

Old 06-25-2018, 10:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:

It is very sad.
Yes, DC, NYC, SF, LA are full of hatred these days...I avoid them.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:

There was a great deal of hatred focused on JFK in parts of the country back in 1963 but it wasn't widely known or communicated beyond certain areas. Texas seemed to harbor a good deal of opposition and even hatred but the level wasn't really revealed until after the assassination. The Secret Service was worried about his trip to Dallas. I can recall the intense anti-Catholic agitation leading up to the election. I had some distant cousins who were Baptist missionaries in South America (saving Catholics from the Pope) and they were called home to campaign and lecture against JFK well before he won the nomination. We had to put them up for a few days and they never shut up about it. We had very politically charged mock elections in school. There were fewer ways to get into debates and call people names...no internet and no rabid talk radio to speak of. It was mostly editorials and political columns in the newspapers or letter to the editor. The TV candidate debates originated with the Kennedy/Nixon race. Today, if we just eliminated the internet we would have only a small fraction of the discord -- no tweets, no Facebook, no C-D forums.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
There was a great deal of hatred focused on JFK in parts of the country back in 1963 but it wasn't widely known or communicated beyond certain areas. Texas seemed to harbor a good deal of opposition and even hatred but the level wasn't really revealed until after the assassination. The Secret Service was worried about his trip to Dallas. I can recall the intense anti-Catholic agitation leading up to the election. I had some distant cousins who were Baptist missionaries in South America (saving Catholics from the Pope) and they were called home to campaign and lecture against JFK well before he won the nomination. We had to put them up for a few days and they never shut up about it. We had very politically charged mock elections in school. There were fewer ways to get into debates and call people names...no internet and no rabid talk radio to speak of. It was mostly editorials and political columns in the newspapers or letter to the editor. The TV candidate debates originated with the Kennedy/Nixon race. Today, if we just eliminated the internet we would have only a small fraction of the discord -- no tweets, no Facebook, no C-D forums.
These days you have to think a lot of it really is Russians because the crap I see from both sides is so over the top it has to be satire. Not here, but a good example is on the comments platform on Politico where they use Facebook for commenting. It gets nasty there. It’s so bad I have to think a large portion of those accounts really are Russians trying to sow discord. Here it seems more genuine, though both sides have their over the top frequent contributors.

Last edited by katygirl68; 06-25-2018 at 11:27 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:

It is very sad.
I was a freshman in college then.

Yup. Dallas was just what has been said about it back then.

That's why Kennedy's staff and advisors did their best to get him to cancel his visit there.

But the hate back then wasn't generated by a newspaper at all. It was homegrown from the ground up. The local papers ignored it. And none of Kennedy's staff was publicly shamed anywhere, by anyone.

You are scrambling a historical event into two different current things, while attempting to make the current unrest the fault of some newspapers. What's the point you are trying to present here?

There's no new "City of Hate". Conservatives in general aren't hated. There's no particular forum for hate against all conservatives I know of.

What there is are a lot of people who are very angry Trump and his administration seized little kids and separated them from their parents by force. A lot of people see that as something that is both inhuman and very un-American. So a few of those angry folks decided to hold those responsible for this outrage accountable for their actions in public.

Is their action hateful? Yes. But outraged people do hateful things, like shooting innocents. On the scale of things, I'm sure those two women, both mothers themselves, prefer the shaming they got to catching a bullet, which could have been equally possible.

I ask you- what is acceptable these days? Do you want to perpetuate the outrage that brought on the shaming, or do you want it to stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies