Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 11:56 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times

Advertisements

"Brave New World" seems bewildered and even angry that America operates differently than England. I really don't know why this should come as any surprise to him. We are two different countries, and America was initially founded in part as an effort to rid itself of many of England's ways. Why should it come as any surprise that we still do things differently here? Why are so many comparisons made? Why must people resort to hyperbole and lies to discuss what are simply fundamental differences between two countries thousands of miles of ocean apart, and with WILDLY differing populations.

Why are England's roads so god damned narrow? Why are so many Brits on the dole? Why do so many of you have such terrible teeth? Why do your politicians scream at each other in Parliament? Why do you beat each other up at soccer games? Why do you bow before a queen? That is as petty as you Brits sound here sometimes with your constant questions and criticisms. Is this really a useful conversation to have?

Old 07-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

If you or a member of your family or any other one who may have been an angel to another at any given time in a fallen society member's life, could have elected a representative that would extend those acts into the 'law of the land', it would have happened already.
Therein lies the error in your way of thinking.

You cannot compel people to give. You cannot force them to hand over their money and their time to another. It is decidedly anti-American to force such a thing. It is called slavery.

One must feel compelled to reach out and help others. It comes quite naturally for most people. Volunteerism is HUGE in America, and it's an insult to the millions of people who give their time and money FREELY each year to help others to insinuate that we are not a nation of givers.

But you cannot force people to do such a thing. Because freedom is something that we all have here. You cannot legislate otherwise.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:02 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This has already been responded to but I want to add. First I should say I am not a Trump supporter.

Health care system-We were on our way with the ACA and it still stands, despite the Trump administration's attempts to eliminate it entirely. The individual mandate was repealed, but nothing else major has been done. Lots of talk, little action.

Lack of any safety net-My derriere! There are many safety net programs in the US, e.g. unemployment insurance; TANF (temporary assistance to needy families, AKA "welfare"); SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program, formerly Food Stamps); WIC (Women, Infants and Children), supplemental food program for pregnant and post partum women, their infants and children up to age 5, currently serves 53% of infants born in the US. Medicare (health care for the elderly); Medicaid (health care for the poor); VA system (health care for veterans). Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIC

System of policing-Want to expand on that?

The prison population-ditto. I know it's higher per capita than in many countries, but since you know all about it, why don't you tell us how much higher and where.

Homelessness-Seems like you have your own house to clean up there:
Homelessness on the rise in all EU countries
"Finland is the only country in the European Union where homelessness is not on the rise, according to a new report, which notes that children, women and the working poor are among those most affected."

Constant demands for tax cuts-Would you please expand on that? Do people in the UK ask to have their taxes raised? Here in Colorado we vote on all our state and local taxes, and we manage to pass quite a few tax votes, to wit:
https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/0...blic-projects/
"Voters across Colorado OK tens of millions of local tax dollars for schools, streets and water systems
Results point to voters’ greater trust in local initiatives, for which “they say yes far more than they say no,” observers say"

Here is a good article on US foreign aid with an interactive graphic. What is the UK's FA budget?
https://www.foreignassistance.gov/explore

Here's how you find out if a charity is worth contributing to:
https://www.charitynavigator.org/

As for the purple, untrue, or should I use the "L" word since it seems to be deliberate?

US health care is not "based on profit". It is true that most health care financing is through for-profit insurance companies, but that's not the same as what you're saying, as I understand it. Contrary to what you think, doctors do not order more tests, do more surgery, etc, to make more money. Most health conditions are treated the same in the general "developed world".

You want to tell us about mental health care in the US, and do a "compare and contrast" with that of the UK? I'd love to see that.

You're repeating yourself about the police force. And do remember, the plural of anecdotes is not data. I'd like to see some statistics.

Do note that none of your links are from professional sources.
It doesn't make what the poster is trying to tell you any less true.
Quote:
US health care is not "based on profit".
May be, but insurance is a for profit businesses and to know that's right is to look at car insurance. Something else we are forced to buy, but could live without. (how to keep poor people, poor? let me count the ways)

Saying conditions are worse some where else, does not an argument make for what is happening in ones on back yard being that of deplorable.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Therein lies the error in your way of thinking.

You cannot compel people to give. You cannot force them to hand over their money and their time to another. It is decidedly anti-American to force such a thing. It is called slavery.

One must feel compelled to reach out and help others. It comes quite naturally for most people. Volunteerism is HUGE in America, and it's an insult to the millions of people who give their time and money FREELY each year to help others to insinuate that we are not a nation of givers.

But you cannot force people to do such a thing. Because freedom is something that we all have here. You cannot legislate otherwise.
Quote:
It is called slavery.

Income Tax ...

Again, there are no angels serving in Congress and it shows.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Income Tax ...

Do you expect me to disagree with this? lol.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Income Tax ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Do you expect me to disagree with this? lol.
Nope ... it is what it is.

But from a society where their are angels walking and living among us, it's surprising to not have 'em as major decision makers.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
But from a society where their are angels walking and living among us, it's surprising to not have 'em as major decision makers.
Brother, ain't that the truth.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:35 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:

As it stands, the media reports what the law is saying ... tent cities have popped up all over the u.s. and homelessness, just a suicides is at an all time high rate. Not because the society lacks in angels, but because angels are not voted into congress.
From posts here, many, many Americans are kind, and try and help the less fortunate. So why do you end up with such poor politicians? People like Scott Pruitt for instance?

Surely, the politicians speak the words that their voters want to hear? Why does a kind society vote in cruel politicians?

Why do you vote in such bad Presidents time after time for over 50 years?

Johnson - war monger
Nixon - war monger and crook
Gerald Ford - time server
Jimmy Carter - nice guy. Should have stuck to growing peanuts
Ronald Reagan - washed up actor. Acted out the role of President quite well though. No Oscar
Senior Bush - check where he was the day Kennedy was shot.
Bill Clinton - smart, but sleazy
Sonny Boy Bush - all the brains of a rocking horse
Barack Obama - steadied the wobbling ship, but not much after that
The Donald - don't go there........

Old 07-08-2018, 12:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
A County Where the Sewer Is Your Lawn

Sewage problems still plague Uniontown after $4.8 million in repairs

Your post is too long to pick it apart, time for me being what it is, but ... the u.s. not a third world country, so they say ... however, we're working on becoming one really, really hard.

The only thing an abundance of gov regulating the freedoms of people does, it takes their rights away to live free. How it doesn't f with the people cheering it on, I have yet to figure out, but chickens do come home to roost, eventually all things will be learned in time, but not in time to stop the damage all ready done by the willfulness of others.

btw: the Alabamians had to call the UN, for this situation to make news. However, I doubt the UN will be able to rectify the problem of sewer lawns in Alabama u.s.
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! You saved me the trouble of responding to that long winded racist rant.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
It doesn't make what the poster is trying to tell you any less true.
May be, but insurance is a for profit businesses and to know that's right is to look at car insurance. Something else we are forced to buy, but could live without. (how to keep poor people, poor? let me count the ways)

Saying conditions are worse some where else, does not an argument make for what is happening in ones on back yard being that of deplorable.
Oh, yes it does. S/he was basically lying about some things.

1. I listed six (6) safety net programs just off the top of my head and you claim that doesn't negate his/her claim about lack of a safety net?

2. I post a link about how voters in Colorado voted themselves tens of millions of dollars in new taxes in 2017 alone, and you claim that doesn't negate the claim that there are "constant demands for tax cuts".

And cute to use the word "deplorable". We all know what you mean by "delplorables" and I am not a Trump supporter, sorry to disappoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
From posts here, many, many Americans are kind, and try and help the less fortunate. So why do you end up with such poor politicians? People like Scott Pruitt for instance?

Surely, the politicians speak the words that their voters want to hear? Why does a kind society vote in cruel politicians?

Why do you vote in such bad Presidents time after time for over 50 years?

Johnson - war monger
Nixon - war monger and crook
Gerald Ford - time server
Jimmy Carter - nice guy. Should have stuck to growing peanuts
Ronald Reagan - washed up actor. Acted out the role of President quite well though. No Oscar
Senior Bush - check where he was the day Kennedy was shot.
Bill Clinton - smart, but sleazy
Sonny Boy Bush - all the brains of a rocking horse
Barack Obama - steadied the wobbling ship, but not much after that
The Donald - don't go there........
I could probably make a list of the British PMs going back that far and say something snarky about each one of them too. And going back to WW II, you had Chamberlain, who tried to "appease" H*tler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies