Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 09:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, Americans believe that by working harder you make more money, get to buy nicer things and have a higher standard of living than if you didn't work hard.

So, what would be the motivation for not working harder? So that you can make do with less?
Yes, but does the work become important for it's own sake? Sometimes, I get the impression in threads I read that the work is what defines people. The work life, more than life away from it.

You know, live to work, or work to live? I have read of folks who boast of having three jobs, and they get a pat on the back for it, here in c-d. Is total exhaustion by work an admirable thing? The Puritan work ethic?

Old 06-28-2018, 09:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, but does the work become important for it's own sake? Sometimes, I get the impression in threads I read that the work is what defines people. The work life, more than life away from it.

You know, live to work, or work to live? I have read of folks who boast of having three jobs, and they get a pat on the back for it, here in c-d. Is total exhaustion by work an admirable thing? The Puritan work ethic?
People with 3 jobs generally have 3 part-time jobs with no benefits, Dave. Companies have been shifting to part-time to avoid benefits since the Reagan administration.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Re-read the first part. Then read your interpretation of what I said. I did not say what you decided that I said. You then took the other quote totally out of context. Please brush up on your reading comprehension before going after me again.
I read it. Trust me, I know what you're saying.

"I had to go back to school repeatedly after college to get new skills & paid for it each time. I never got a job using my degree, because I didn't have connections but I got decent jobs because l had one."

My mother used to tell me all the time, go to college and get any degree, it doesn't matter if it is in cosmetics. Businesses are looking for people with degrees, because it shows people can be taught.

Basically, college acts as a sorting device. Separating the ambitious, capable, and obedient people, from the lazy, stupid, and stubborn.

Most of the people I know with a college degree have jobs in a completely different field, or in a job that shouldn't otherwise require one. The college degree looks good on a resume.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 06-28-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 09:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
People with 3 jobs generally have 3 part-time jobs with no benefits, Dave. Companies have been shifting to part-time to avoid benefits since the Reagan administration.
Same thing here. Lots of part time work. Another cracker thought up by somebody........ Zero hour contracts. Folks not knowing what hours of work they will have from week to week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-hour_contract

Old 06-28-2018, 09:53 AM

27,573 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:

There is (or at least was) an underlying Puritan worth ethic in America. But nowadays, work is mainly a means to an end. You work hard so that you live a better life and hopefully have a good retirement. And hopefully, if you have children then they get to live better than you do.

Nobody wants to be poor or out on the streets. So, you work hard to avoid ever being in that situation too. That's pretty much the way it goes.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Same thing here. Lots of part time work. Another cracker thought up by somebody........ Zero hour contracts. Folks not knowing what hours of work they will have from week to week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-hour_contract
The trick is to find & get hired at more than one job that will work with you, so that you can get multiple jobs.

Or. . .you get a contract position through an agency. You usually have a schedule, but you never know how long it will last.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I take French classes with 2 ex pats with green cards from England -nothing but bad mouth America
Busy busy bite the hand that feeds
They forgot we fought 2 wars against them— how come ??
English cruelty
Happy Independence Day

Old 06-28-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I take French classes with 2 ex pats with green cards from England -nothing but bad mouth America
Busy busy bite the hand that feeds
They forgot we fought 2 wars against them— how come ??
English cruelty
Happy Independence Day
Try again.

Let's see, the Revolutionary War was over a mix of George III having some squirrelly ideas & taxation. The War of 1812 was part of the Napoleonic Wars spilling over into the western hemisphere.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Try again.

Let's see, the Revolutionary War was over a mix of George III having some squirrelly ideas & taxation. The War of 1812 was part of the Napoleonic Wars spilling over into the western hemisphere.
Interesting spin but ignores much history which is being rewritten to be more politically correct
I will concede one point to British cruelty- it’s system of law yes was monsterously cruel but functional so when we revolted we changed it to a lenient system— looking at our dysfunctional judicial system today —this may have been a mistake

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-28-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Interesting spin but ignores much history which is being rewritten to be more politically correct
Nah, not really. Frederick, the father of George III was being fed some squirrelly information concerning taking back power from Parliament. He died, George III inherited the throne from George II, & the squirrelly power grab information.

The War of 1812 was an outgrowth of the Napoleonic Wars. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies