Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 01:25 PM

36,579 posts, read 30,915,500 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter if it is white rural republicans or black urban democrats receiving food stamps. If any able bodied adult is going to get food stamps they need to at least be trying to work and earn a living and move toward self sufficiency. Why should a childless, healthy, able bodied grown ass adult not be working or getting education or training to work.

This bickering over how many unemployed, uneducated, childless, healthy, able bodied grown ass adults receiving food stamps are conservative or liberal, voted for Trump or voted for Hillary is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 02:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,848,314 times
Quote:
If Republicans succeed in their multi-front campaign to cut back on food stamps, the burden will fall heaviest on the working-class, rural white voters on whom President Trump has staked the future of their party.

House Republicans on Thursday passed legislation that would require Americans ages 18 through 59 to either work part time or spend 20 hours a week in workforce training to receive food stamps.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ac0711622aef//

I doubt there is much substance or possibility this will happen, BUT, wouldn't workforce training for welfare recipients be a good thing? Welfare shouldn't be allowed to become multi-generational or as fraud-laden as is is today.

In truth, the Washington Post and liberals have no concern for poor people and are only gloating over any perceived opportunity to bash President Trump.

Even if this became law, why would it hurt Trump among voters? The Left, not the GOP, are the party always trying to trade freebies for votes!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:09 PM

36,579 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So. Trump doesn’t risk alienating himself with African Americans because they don’t vote for him anyway. Moreover, many of these Black SNAP recipients live in urban areas with access to services like schools, transportation and low paying service work. They’ll get by.

The white rural poor don’t have as many options. Neither do the black rural poor. But there’s less of them.

Bingo.

Many whites don’t seem to know or believe that huge swaths of this country are filled with white rural poor people who receive assistance.

You do realize that rural areas have schools, and transportation and low paying service work. We have other services too, like running water and electricity and hospitals, ambulance, fire and police.
Hey I heard there were even white urban poor people who receive assistance.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Quote:
[b]If Republicans succeed in their multi-front campaign to cut back on food stamps, the burden will fall heaviest on the working-class, rural white voters on whom President Trump has staked the future of their party. House Republicans on Thursday passed legislation that would require Americans ages 18 through 59 to either work part time or spend 20 hours a week in workforce training to receive food stamps.
I doubt there is much substance or possibility this will happen, BUT, wouldn't workforce training for welfare recipients be a good thing? Welfare shouldn't be allowed to become multi-generational or as fraud-laden as is is today. In truth, the Washington Post and liberals have no concern for poor people and are only gloating over any perceived opportunity to bash President Trump. Even if this became law, why would it hurt Trump among voters? The Left, not the GOP, are the party always trying to trade freebies for votes!
There is already a requirement that all welfare recipients except those with an infant work or participate in job training, it's been like that since 1996.
  • The Agriculture bill only includes $30 a month for job placement or training so I'm guessing that they expect States to pick up that expense.
  • The bill requires parents with children over 6 to work 20 hours a week (or up to 30 if states want to require that) but there is no provision for childcare or assistance in paying for childcare so probably most parents with kids too young to be left home alone will lose their SNAP benefits.
  • There are no provisions for transportation assistance which can be a real problem in rural areas.
  • The bill requires the disabled who are not receiving SSI or SSDI to "prove they are disabled" work in order to get SNAP benefits so I guess if you become seriously disabled or injured you are SOL while you are waiting for your SSDI or SSI application to be processed.
  • It appears that they also want to put new limits on the value of assets that a SNAP recipient can own with families being limited to $2,000 in savings - rather hypocritical given the conservative finger wagging about how the poor don't save any of their money
(information is from various articles on CBPP)
This is just Freedom Caucus mean on steroids, but the good news is...it will never pass in the Senate

Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
My wife has a cousin who dropped out of high school, rarely works, and bounces from drug house to drug house. For her stupid behavior she is rewarded with food stamps and medicaid. I was orphaned at 11 but graduated college and work full time. I get zero dollars from the govt to buy my food or insurance.
So..."rewarded" with having to survive off food stamps, with little education, little income, and a drug addiction??

Would you switch places with her? No? Then its not much of a reward now is it?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There is huge fraud in the welfare programs. I listen to a Conservative talk show out of Boston and the host is always highlighting the fraud such as when a drug dealer is arrested and the cops find multiple EBT cards on him or worse when an illegal alien is picked up and they find multiple cards with different names on them.

For years the responsible have wanted to require a photo on the recipients card to stop the fraud but the dominant Left in my state has always shot that idea down.

Welfare should be there for the people that need it but there are many that are scamming the system and that is costing us all.

If the GOP wants to clean up welfare fraud then I am all for it.
Did your conservative talk show host mention how much we give to corporate welfare? I doubt it.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
Close to 100 BILLION A YEAR. In corporate welfare. When do these deficit hawks plan on cutting that out? Next stop Medicare and Social Security. What a loving Party....

Old 07-05-2018, 05:15 PM

42,862 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
There is huge fraud in the welfare programs. I listen to a Conservative talk show out of Boston and the host is always highlighting the fraud such as when a drug dealer is arrested and the cops find multiple EBT cards on him or worse when an illegal alien is picked up and they find multiple cards with different names on them. For years the responsible have wanted to require a photo on the recipients card to stop the fraud but the dominant Left in my state has always shot that idea down.
Welfare should be there for the people that need it but there are many that are scamming the system and that is costing us all. If the GOP wants to clean up welfare fraud then I am all for it.
Well, we all know that whatever is said on a conservative talk show is 100% true The issue about photos on EBT cards is NOT a partisan one, it's one of practicality A large number of recipients are unable to shop for themselves, so they have a friend or relative shop for them, that is allowed by the Feds. How do you manage that?, do you issue cards to everyone who is allowed to shop for the recipient?

As far as EBT fraud, the way to stop it is to quit treating the poor like children and give them the cash equivalent of what they get in food stamps. If they waste it they go hungry, it's that simple. The only reason we don't is to make farmers and grocery stores happy. I wonder what the administration of the program costs, I bet it's a fortune.

And welfare benefits are so low that it's unlikely anyone would spend a lot of time or energy on "scamming the system" , it's just not worth it the Welfare benefit in Arizona for a family of three is $278 for a limit of 12 months - how much time would you spend on scheming to commit a felony in order to get that money? You'd make more by running in a store filling up a shopping cart with expensive stuff and running out and selling it, and that would probably end up being a misdemeanor

Old 07-05-2018, 05:52 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,016,502 times
Statistically, registered republicans have higher income averages than democrats.

Democrats are the poorer of the two, hence why they tend to vote for subsidies, entitlements and handouts...this includes food stamps

Old 07-05-2018, 05:54 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,016,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Did your conservative talk show host mention how much we give to corporate welfare? I doubt it.
Corporations also provide jobs

How many do the poor produce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies