Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ect/772900002/

Thief takes gun and runs for the exit. Manager tackles him and holds him for the police. Search of bag finds he had also stolen ammunition and admitted he was going to kill someone. Academy corporation fires the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
I'm confused. Where is the fireable offense? How do you stop somebody from stealing without putting your hands on them? And especially if they said they're going to kill someone?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,662 times
I feel like something is missing from this report. Store manager tackled the guy and got fired. Was there more to the confrontation? Did the manager take the gun out and point it at his head and fire (but it was empty)? The facts don't add up.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Corporate America for years now has taken this stance.

Get rid of any employee who might expose them to any kind of legal jeopardy, no matter how noble their action.

With the GOP stuffing another corporate toady onto the supreme court, it'll only get worse from here on out.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:35 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Corporate America for years now has taken this stance.

Get rid of any employee who might expose them to any kind of legal jeopardy, no matter how noble their action.

With the GOP stuffing another corporate toady onto the supreme court, it'll only get worse from here on out.

Yep, any of us who work retail know you never touch a person who is stealing or fleeing. If the company chooses not to care, neither will I.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
If the story gets enough coverage someone will likely offer him a better job. Lots of people would hire someone who did what he did.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I feel like something is missing from this report. Store manager tackled the guy and got fired. Was there more to the confrontation? Did the manager take the gun out and point it at his head and fire (but it was empty)? The facts don't add up.
Nope, the guy asked to see a gun at a pawn shop. As soon as the sales associate handed the guy the gun, he took off running. Not sure at what point he said it, but the suspect said he was going to kill somebody with the gun he just stole.

Employees tackled him, and I guess one of the guys got fired.

“This is not something that happens for Mr. Crouch in his everyday life,” Hobbs said. “I think he was thinking there is a man running out of the store with a gun in his hand with his coworkers following from the firearm area screaming ‘Stop that man.’ Something had to be done and he was the one that was going to do it.”

So that's where were at in 2018. Armed thieves can't be physically detained by store employees. It's one thing if this guy stole a pack of gum or a soda, but he stole a gun and said he was going to kill somebody with it.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:40 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
My guess is that the store, like many, have a policy of not chasing shoplifters. The thinking is that nothing in the store is worth the injury or possible death of the employee or bystander.

Perhaps Academy should rethink how they secure weapons to the display case. I'm guessing the store simply lets patrons hold loose weapons instead of having them on tethers.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
To me this says Academy has said they now allow the five finger discount even on guns and ammunition. Staying out of the store until their policy changes.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:42 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Nope, the guy asked to see a gun at a pawn shop. As soon as the sales associate handed the guy the gun, he took off running. Not sure at what point he said it, but the suspect said he was going to kill somebody with the gun he just stole.

Employees tackled him, and I guess one of the guys got fired.

“This is not something that happens for Mr. Crouch in his everyday life,” Hobbs said. “I think he was thinking there is a man running out of the store with a gun in his hand with his coworkers following from the firearm area screaming ‘Stop that man.’ Something had to be done and he was the one that was going to do it.”

So that's where were at in 2018. Armed thieves can't be physically detained by store employees. It's one thing if this guy stole a pack of gum or a soda, but he stole a gun and said he was going to kill somebody with it.
Per the article, he said that after he was detained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies