Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could see abortion and gay marriage banned would you want to?
Trump supporter: Reverse Obergefell and Roe (both decisions) 29 15.18%
Trump supporter: Reverse Roe (abortion) 16 8.38%
Trump supporter: Reverse Obergefell (gay marriage) 7 3.66%
Trump supporter: Both decisions should remain as they are 64 33.51%
Not a Trump supporter 75 39.27%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,946,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The Trump coalition is not a unified block, but a diverse group of beliefs. The fundamentalist Christian proportion of voters do not make up a majority of voters in this country, and don't even make up a majority of the people who support Trump.

I do not know any conservatives who want to overturn either of those rulings and most of us do not 'hate' anyone as others on this forum and elsewhere rant about.
That's encouraging to hear. But even if that is true of most Trump supporters, you have to realize that politically activist justices probably won't vote according to your wishes. There has been a concerted effort from the right to appoint hard liners, not moderates. So just because you don't support the overturn does not mean that the SCOTUS won't. I would predict that they WILL overturn those rulings.

The lifetime appointment of Supreme Court justices is one of the stupidest features of our democracy. They should have a finite term of 10 years (~ 1/2 a generation). This has always been one of the greatest risks to the stability of the Republic; because in a two-party system if one side or the other packs the court with extremists, they have the power to steer us down the path to authoritarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 08:25 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,799,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Exactly!

You don't want me in your bedroom or sex life (no problem!), I don't want you in my finances.

I'd rather have seen gay marriage legislated. But, I do not want to see the ruling overturned.
Wouldn't it be easier to ban heterosexual sex since it's the only sex that leads to abortion?

Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,021,661 times
Personally NO on both.

Nor do I think that a conservative majority SC would reverse the clock on either one

Old 06-28-2018, 08:27 AM

17,363 posts, read 11,335,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Watch what happens. Ohio passed a law saying one cannot abort a Downs Syndrome baby but they can abort a health baby. That will go to the Supreme Court.
That's a different matter. Abortion is tweeked constantly by individual states. It's a state issue. I doubt the Supreme Court will even hear it.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Are Trump supporters denying the FACT that Trump is choosing from a list of 25 nominees that oppose abortion? Are they going to really say with a straight face that what Trump has said into microphones is not true? That the litmus test for Trump will be that they oppose abortion because the list of 25 nominees is based on that?
Yes they are!! They are keeping their
head in the sand and then they can feign surprise
when gay marriage and abortion have disappeared
off the books.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Yes they are!! They are keeping their
head in the sand and then they can feign surprise
when gay marriage and abortion have disappeared
off the books.
I realize it's to your benefit and political views to keep the fear mongering going. It's really all you have left.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It doesn't matter. The Supreme Court almost NEVER reverses itself on previous decisions much less hears them again once a matter has been closed unless you go back to the 1800s. They are not chomping at the bits waiting in anticipation to make abortion illegal again. They could have already done that if they wanted to. They already have the votes needed regardless of Trumps picks to at least open the issue up again but they won't do it. It's done, finished, stick a fork in it.
Just this week they overturned Abood which was ruled on in 1977 and was an unanimous decision.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,749,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Just this week they overturned Abood which was ruled on in 1977 and was an unanimous decision.
I'm starting to think Trump supporters know that is the goal of Republicans but they also know admitting it outright will be detrimental. So they will worship Trump the way they already do, watch him nominate a SCJ from the list of 25 that they know already oppose abortion, then they will act surprised when abortion is overturned and then say "well that was a surprise" and then go cheer. Hey, it's fine, go ahead and get ready to see a lot of very poor women forced to have very poor babies.

And right on time, a Gosnell movie is being released. Yes, folks, Republicans will try to make abortion illegal and they are getting the SCJs to do it.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If it was unanimous, that obviously means there was something wrong with the original decision. When RBG sides with the more conservatives, that should tell you something.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:38 AM

52,764 posts, read 34,663,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to ban heterosexual sex since it's the only sex that leads to abortion?
no one is talking about banning any kind of sex. well, except for you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies