Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:56 AM

21,483 posts, read 10,591,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ok, keep the hay fields and all the taxes they generate.
If they operate like we do in Texas, those hay fields get an agriculture exemption from the property taxes, so another tax credit actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 10:29 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post

Top paragraph - which is better? Are you even joking? The businessperson -- HANDS DOWN! Business is THE engine that runs this country.
Human beings have been doing business/trade for 150,000 years (and we always will.) The thing that's important in government is protecting the health and safety of its citizens. But republican voters put big business before the health and safety of citizens.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade

Like Donald Trump stopping the government from protecting women against breast cancer. Is it worth your mother, wife, girlfriend or daughter getting breast cancer to increase the chemical corporations profits?
EPA won

And is Trumps deregulation of the chemical industry worth 100,000's of American workers getting cancer?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trumps-...tances-review/

In the name of "BUSINESS" Donald Trump has increased our risk of cancer, drinking polluted water, and having children with birth defects. And American business would have been just fine without Trumps deregulation.

https://www.ewg.org/release/trumps-e...k#.WzZZs2BKjIV
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...on-agency.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/justcap.../#22addd7c64bf
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ashing-the-epa

Quote:
We'd be a Third World nation without a strong business sector, it's not even a debate. Have you ever been to a Second or Third World country?
Every person in a third world country does business, they do business to acquire their housing, food, clothes and transportation.

The thing third world countries lack is a large government. Third world countries don't have a EPA, FCC, USDA, transportation board, NASA, public schools, public libraries, government funded satellites, and modern highways and shipping canals built by the government.

Quote:
FYI, Presidents don't make laws, Congress does. Having a good number of lawyers in Congress IS helpful.
Presidents make all federal laws from congress when they sign them.

Quote:
Now, pls go have a chat with Crumbs Pelosi and ask her why she wants to lead her pathetic party towards taking that all away. She said so.
Pelosi doesn't want to take Trumps tax cuts away, she only wants to give workers and middle class Americans more than "tax cut crumbs."

Trumps tax cuts raised workers income by 0.8%, raised middle class Americans income by 1.5%, and raised the richest 0.1% of Americans income by 14.2%. (Trumps tax cuts gave regular Americans crumbs and billionaires like Trump the loaf.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#3f6b3fef65b9

Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,689,434 times
Who knows this may wind up being no different than the Trump Carrier deal. Once all the confetti drifts to the ground reality rears its ugly head. I'm asking myself why would a profitable company that is already getting cheap labor in Asia open a company in the US? Perhaps they are going to shift their environmentally dirtiest work here where they are given carte blanche in that regard as part of the deal.

Dave Chappelle said we don't want Chinese jobs in America because nobody wants to pay $9000.00 for an iphone.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:45 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Who knows this may wind up being no different than the Trump Carrier deal. Once all the confetti drifts to the ground reality rears its ugly head. I'm asking myself why would a profitable company that is already getting cheap labor in Asia open a company in the US? Perhaps they are going to shift their environmentally dirtiest work here where they are given carte blanche in that regard as part of the deal.

Dave Chappelle said we don't want Chinese jobs in America because nobody wants to pay $9000.00 for an iphone.
Partly because any job over 30k per year will get subsidies from the state, So basically the state will be paying a portion of the wages.

What Walker is banking on is that this will attract other businesses. If it does not this will be an albatross.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wonder how many more times I'm going to have to post this before the Trump cultists finally get the notion that there were many, many large-scale business investments and hiring sprees under Obama? It seems you could show the Trumpets here a $11 billion investment (such as the ethane cracker plant near Pittsburgh at the bottom) that was initiated and started construction under Obama, and they're just so clueless it would simply not register, and they'd go around pretending things like that never happened under Obama, even though you just showed them it did. It's a level of cognitive dissonance I've never seen before in my life. They simply don't WANT to believe that things like this happened under Obama, so even if you show them something that did, they somehow mentally block it out.

If anyone thinks this kind of thing is unique to Trump (or even republicans), they've got another thing coming.

What the Trump cultists who get all their info from Breitbart don't understand is that there are new factories, plant expansions and hiring sprees going on all the time, no matter who is president. It's only when suddenly their Guru gets elected do they start paying attention, and because they never paid attention before they think it's all something new and different that's never happened before, or at least not for decades. I'm sorry to inform you, but while the OP's announcement is nice, it's not particularly unusual.

All of the following announcements were made between March 2014 and September 2016, when a certain president whose last name began with an "O" was in office. Interesting the Trump cultists weren't writing "MAGA" when these things were announced.

BMW plans $1 billion expansion in South Carolina
GM to add 1,400 Michigan jobs with new Chevrolet Volt on the way
Boeing plans fast start to 777X buildings in Everett
New carpet plant in Carbondale, Ga., could be world's biggest
Giti, a Singapore tire company, to bring 1,700 jobs to Chester County, S.C., invest $560 million
SolarCity plans world's largest solar panel plant in upstate N.Y.
Chinese company to invest $2 billion, create 2,000 jobs in Chesterfield, VA
Volkswagen to spend $900 million at Tennessee plant to build new SUV, add 2,000 jobs
3,850 jobs may eventually come to South Jersey waterfront
East Tennessee auto supplier creates 1,000 jobs
Tesla's Reno 'Gigafactory' would create jobs bonanza
Wentzville GM plant adding third shift, 750 jobs
Ford to add 850 jobs at Dearborn factories for new F-150 truck
Ford will add 1,200 jobs at Claycomo plant for its new Transit van
Vertex Rail to bring 1,300 jobs to Wilmington, invest $50 million in production facility
Google could hire 30,000 in Bay Area based on tech titan's development spree
Fuyao set to double hiring at Moraine plant to 1,500 jobs
Cerner Corp Breaks Ground on $4.45B Campus With 16,000 Jobs in Kansas City, Missouri
Ford will add 900 workers at Claycomo plant to build the F-150 truck
Daimler to build South Carolina plant, creating 1,300 jobs
Nissan to add 1,000 jobs in Smyrna
GM mulls expansion of SUV plant in Texas
GM to add 2,500 jobs, invest $1B at Warren Tech Center
Volvo factory to bring 4,000 jobs to South Carolina
Continental Tire confirms it will create 2,500 jobs in Hinds County, Mississippi
FCA investing $1B, adding 1,000 jobs at Jeep plants
Sentury Tire confirms plans for $530 million, 1,000-job plant in Georgia

This is also just a fraction of what was going on during that time. I only collected the larger announcements.

Apologies that some of these are broken links (I started collecting these a while ago). If you don't believe any particular headline linked here I will be happy to find a replacement. I've actually been doing this since about 2003.

And the following multi-billion-dollar ethane cracker plant in Pennsylvania was first talked about, conceived of, and given the final go-ahead while Obama was in office.

June 8, 2016: Shell PA Cracker Plant Project a Lot Bigger Than First Thought
007, You could post this and other facts until the cows come home and it would not penetrate the right wing bubble.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,661,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wonder how many more times I'm going to have to post this before the Trump cultists finally get the notion that there were many, many large-scale business investments and hiring sprees under Obama? It seems you could show the Trumpets here a $11 billion investment (such as the ethane cracker plant near Pittsburgh at the bottom) that was initiated and started construction under Obama, and they're just so clueless it would simply not register, and they'd go around pretending things like that never happened under Obama, even though you just showed them it did. It's a level of cognitive dissonance I've never seen before in my life. They simply don't WANT to believe that things like this happened under Obama, so even if you show them something that did, they somehow mentally block it out.

If anyone thinks this kind of thing is unique to Trump (or even republicans), they've got another thing coming.

What the Trump cultists who get all their info from Breitbart don't understand is that there are new factories, plant expansions and hiring sprees going on all the time, no matter who is president. It's only when suddenly their Guru gets elected do they start paying attention, and because they never paid attention before they think it's all something new and different that's never happened before, or at least not for decades. I'm sorry to inform you, but while the OP's announcement is nice, it's not particularly unusual.

All of the following announcements were made between March 2014 and September 2016, when a certain president whose last name began with an "O" was in office. Interesting the Trump cultists weren't writing "MAGA" when these things were announced.

BMW plans $1 billion expansion in South Carolina
GM to add 1,400 Michigan jobs with new Chevrolet Volt on the way
Boeing plans fast start to 777X buildings in Everett
New carpet plant in Carbondale, Ga., could be world's biggest
Giti, a Singapore tire company, to bring 1,700 jobs to Chester County, S.C., invest $560 million
SolarCity plans world's largest solar panel plant in upstate N.Y.
Chinese company to invest $2 billion, create 2,000 jobs in Chesterfield, VA
Volkswagen to spend $900 million at Tennessee plant to build new SUV, add 2,000 jobs
3,850 jobs may eventually come to South Jersey waterfront
East Tennessee auto supplier creates 1,000 jobs
Tesla's Reno 'Gigafactory' would create jobs bonanza
Wentzville GM plant adding third shift, 750 jobs
Ford to add 850 jobs at Dearborn factories for new F-150 truck
Ford will add 1,200 jobs at Claycomo plant for its new Transit van
Vertex Rail to bring 1,300 jobs to Wilmington, invest $50 million in production facility
Google could hire 30,000 in Bay Area based on tech titan's development spree
Fuyao set to double hiring at Moraine plant to 1,500 jobs
Cerner Corp Breaks Ground on $4.45B Campus With 16,000 Jobs in Kansas City, Missouri
Ford will add 900 workers at Claycomo plant to build the F-150 truck
Daimler to build South Carolina plant, creating 1,300 jobs
Nissan to add 1,000 jobs in Smyrna
GM mulls expansion of SUV plant in Texas
GM to add 2,500 jobs, invest $1B at Warren Tech Center
Volvo factory to bring 4,000 jobs to South Carolina
Continental Tire confirms it will create 2,500 jobs in Hinds County, Mississippi
FCA investing $1B, adding 1,000 jobs at Jeep plants
Sentury Tire confirms plans for $530 million, 1,000-job plant in Georgia

This is also just a fraction of what was going on during that time. I only collected the larger announcements.

Apologies that some of these are broken links (I started collecting these a while ago). If you don't believe any particular headline linked here I will be happy to find a replacement. I've actually been doing this since about 2003.

And the following multi-billion-dollar ethane cracker plant in Pennsylvania was first talked about, conceived of, and given the final go-ahead while Obama was in office.

June 8, 2016: Shell PA Cracker Plant Project a Lot Bigger Than First Thought

lmao, those zombies don't care about facts

Old 06-29-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
007, You could post this and other facts until the cows come home and it would not penetrate the right wing bubble.
But you have to give him props for being so industrious

Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM

24,008 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Stephanie Ruhle said those jobs will cost the state taxpayers $370,000 each.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Stephanie Ruhle said those jobs will cost the state taxpayers $370,000 each.
Basically WI is paying Foxconn's labor plus some. Its a great deal for Foxconn. For the next 15 years the state pays and estimated 250m/yr and will get an estimated revenue from foxconn of 180m/yr.

Unless a lot of foxconn suppliers set up shop in WI this is a major loss.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
But you have to give him props for being so industrious
At this point it's just copy and paste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies