Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Nope. I believe in evolution. Dinosaurs had their time. And somewhere in the future, a species will look back at our time.
If you understand what evolution is then you realize there is nothing to believe in and no reason to attach any higher purpose to the way things have happened to unfold. We control our own destiny from here and if we want to see a few dinosaurs running around, why not?

Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I wouldn't support the idea for various reasons. First, there is a reason they went extinct.
Well duh.... they didn't have a space force to take care of that incoming asteroid. They were too busy being stupid.

Quote:
For most, it was because the environment could no longer support them in some way. Mammoths, for example could only survive in an environment which included both abundant food and cold enough temperatures along with low enough humidity for their fur to not be detrimental. This means loess steppes. Since we don't currently have loess steppes around the world (glaciers are required for loess steppes to exist, and we seem to be short of those right now) we would be resurrecting a species which could not possibly survive.
Alaska and northern Canada and Russia.

Quote:
That is, of course, assuming that man didn't hunt the mammoth to extinction. Some tribes of American Indians had legends of hunting mammoths in recent times when the Europeans arrived.
So we don't issue mammoth hunting permits is all.

Quote:
Second, even if environment were not the issue, and the resurrected species were viable, we have enough species currently living that bringing back another which may be a food chain competitor seems counterproductive. Can you imagine turning a pack of sabre-tooth tigers loose in the Serengeti? The damage such placement could do to the food chain is astronomical.

Third, I've seen Jurassic Park. Not to spoil it for anyone, but resurrecting species was the entire plot device. It went badly.
I will trade mosquitos that carry malaria with a sabre toothed tiger. I would name them Joe-Bob for their goofy teef. I'd trade ticks for raptors. At least a raptor you can hear and see. I'd trade that other worthless thing, wasps and hornets. Winged death. For any dinosaur. Any day of the week. Oh and fire ants. I would trade fire ants for any dinosaur too.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,667,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They would do it to demonstrate their mastery of the science and technology involved, to gain knowledge about the development of life on Earth, and simply because it would be interesting to see what extinct species are like.

That's probably exactly what they'd say to justify the process. That wouldn't be their agenda though.
It's a total Pandora's Box. "Let's open it just to see what happens."
Nothing good can come of it, either humans or extinct species.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Well duh.... they didn't have a space force to take care of that incoming asteroid. They were too busy being stupid.

Alaska and northern Canada and Russia.

So we don't issue mammoth hunting permits is all.

I will trade mosquitos that carry malaria with a sabre toothed tiger. I would name them Joe-Bob for their goofy teef. I'd trade ticks for raptors. At least a raptor you can hear and see. I'd trade that other worthless thing, wasps and hornets. Winged death. For any dinosaur. Any day of the week. Oh and fire ants. I would trade fire ants for any dinosaur too.
We could get rid of fire ants? I may change my position. I'm still blistered from last week's run-in with the little demons.

Not sure I'd take those frilly-knecked dinosaurs though. They kind of creep me out. How about fire ants for the Hyracotherium? A horse the size of a cocker spaniel sounds neat.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If you understand what evolution is then you realize there is nothing to believe in and no reason to attach any higher purpose to the way things have happened to unfold. We control our own destiny from here and if we want to see a few dinosaurs running around, why not?
Because a movie series scared the living hell out of everyone in the 90s to today.

Not me. Lol I remember watching jurassic park in the movies as a kid and watching other kids break out in tears and their parents haul em out. I loved that movie I begged to go see it again and again.

Learned a few valuable life lessons from that movie.
Don't play with electric fences. Don't say clever girl when a raptor pokes its head out. Pull a Dick Cheney and just shoot. When the lawyer is on the can and the TRex goes after him, get out of the Ford Exploder and find someplace to hide. But don't move. If you have wizard eyes, use them.
Never trust the 4 eyed fat guy from I.T. He's driven by hunger. Hunger needs money to sustain.
Poetic justice strikes said fat guy later on.

A TRex can keep up with an old jeep wrangler.

I'd be interested in the restoring of dinosaurs. There's a bill to vote to make Puerto Rico a state. I say, don't make it the 51st state, just evacuate everyone from the island and make it the new jurassic park.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
We could get rid of fire ants? I may change my position. I'm still blistered from last week's run-in with the little demons.

Not sure I'd take those frilly-knecked dinosaurs though. They kind of creep me out. How about fire ants for the Hyracotherium? A horse the size of a cocker spaniel sounds neat.
Oh the dilophosaurus, the big bearded dragon thing, that spits blinding and paralyzing crud at its target? I'd bring them back. All of them. Raptors everything.

Charter hunts on an island for population control.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:22 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Apparently there is a theoretical path to recreate and reintroduce a species of Mammoth but it would take several generations of specialized breeding with Asian Elephants and implanted DNA from a frozen Siberian Mammoth specimen. Each generation would be closer to the target Mammoth species. It would take decades -- maybe a lifetime to accomplish. There would be problems with a limited gene pool. Technology might advance to make it easier at some point.

While we are on this genetic topic, there are poachers killing off Rhinos and Elephants every day. Why not genetically engineer a type of cow or pig with a Rhino horn or maybe two or three horns or even ivory tusks. We could eat the pig or cow and somebody could harvest the ivory or Rhino horns. That way they would leave the real Rhinos and Elephants alone.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Apparently there is a theoretical path to recreate and reintroduce a species of Mammoth but it would take several generations of specialized breeding with Asian Elephants and implanted DNA from a frozen Siberian Mammoth specimen. Each generation would be closer to the target Mammoth species. It would take decades -- maybe a lifetime to accomplish. There would be problems with a limited gene pool. Technology might advance to make it easier at some point.

While we are on this genetic topic, there are poachers killing off Rhinos and Elephants every day. Why not genetically engineer a type of cow or pig with a Rhino horn or maybe two or three horns or even ivory tusks. We could eat the pig or cow and somebody could harvest the ivory or Rhino horns. That way they would leave the real Rhinos and Elephants alone.
The tusks on wild boars are already pretty dangerous. How about we not try to make something worse?

Last edited by JimRom; 06-29-2018 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect is an idiot who doesn't understand the rules of grammar. Or spelling.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
The tusks on wild boars are already pretty dangerous. How about we not try to make something worse?
Thrill and Challenge.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Thrill and Challenge.
The gleeful way you view this prospect is leaking through your keyboard.

In all honesty, I see the cool factor of living dinosaurs. I just don't think it's advisable to make the fantasy a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies