Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 09:50 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Ambulance Service is seen as one of the four emergency services in most countries and not something you should pay for.

The Emergency Services being Police, Fire Brigade, Ambulance Service and Coastguard/Lifeboat.

There are also mountain rescue, cave rescue, mine rescue bomb disposal etc

The number in the UK is 999 or the European number 112 rather than the US 911 number.

999 (emergency telephone number) - Wikipedia
Most everything that becomes privatized becomes way more expensive in order to pad the pockets of Upper Management and Shareholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A lot of health insurance plans do not cover ambulance transport which can cost thousands. She probably had someone take her to a hospital within the provider list of her insurance plan. Are you just waking up to the reality of healthcare in the US?

Ambulance trips can leave you with surprising — and very expensive — bills
Yes, this is the taste of freedom. Price gouging on a massive scale as "consumers" are desperate sick people who naturally are clueless about what medical treatment they need.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
That’s obamacare.
And the replacement option is???

Old 07-04-2018, 09:54 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Yes, this is the taste of freedom. Price gouging on a massive scale as "consumers" are desperate sick people who naturally are clueless about what medical treatment they need.
So what do you call it when the local taxpayer-funded EMT price gouges?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:56 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So what do you call it when the local taxpayer-funded EMT price gouges?
Who/where are these local tax-payer funded EMTs?

Old 07-04-2018, 09:57 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who/where are these local tax-payer funded EMTs?
LOL all over America. Small towns mostly.

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I was in an accident a few years ago. No one was hurt. An ambulance passing by stopped. (No one called for an ambulance as none was needed). They wanted to check everyone out. Everyone said what the heck why not. They asked a few questions, did a blood pressure check and left. Total time on sight? 15 minutes max. Each person was billed $380 through our insurance. From a volunteer ambulance. So yeah I get not wanting an ambulance called unless it is really needed. $1520 dollars for less than 15 minutes work, no medical supplies used, and really no valid service provided. I was told that if anyone had need to be transported to the hospital 3 miles away it would have cost $1800.00.
Yeah, and then that hospital would be "out of network" and people would be stuck with a god knows what bill.

Its such a big scam its amazing that even 10% thinks its great and are terrified of common sense national health care like every developed country in the world has done.

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't typically advocate for insurance companies, but a true free market health care system wouldnt work. Prices are negotiated between doctors and insurance companies, and hospitals and insurance companies. Sure, without the price negotiations, the prices would come down in some areas, but they would skyrocket in others. I can see it now, “Wow, that appendix could rupture any minute. I’ll take it out for you, for $50K. Up front.”

Or would you have laws against that? That would be hypocritical of someone advocating free market health care, wouldn’t it?

I tend to agree. We do not act economically with health care so the market system is also flawed. No system does it particularly well. As for an ambulance you can buy insurance. However whenever I can afford to pay I self insure. I have emergency funds that pay me interest. How many times will you end up in an ambulance in your life?

But meanwhile in the we are all one system, I have to pay for people's rock climbing hobbies or canyon hikers who for some reason thin 16oz of water is enough. I don't like getting into business deals with idiots. That's the problem.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL all over America. Small towns mostly.
LOL, nope!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:00 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Obamacare was started by Lobbyists because they were running out of other peoples money to prop them up with their insane prices.

Prices were expensive before and expensive after. Imagine that.

The elephant in the room is corporate lobbyists in this country have way to much power in Washington DC and nothing will change until they are thrown out.

About the only thing I agreed with with Romney is at least keep it at the state level. With all 50 states we might at least smell a rat when one state does something for 1/3 the cost of another especially among their peers.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 07-04-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies