Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,220,401 times

Advertisements

Finally. Hopefully this has a huge impact. All race-based programs in the USA should be terminated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
meritocracy FTMFW.
I'm actually opposed to affirmative action in college admissions for a number of reasons, but calling this a victory for meritocracy is a farce.

If the conservatives on this forum were truly interested in a meritocracy (they're not), then they would be opposed to the entire concept of inheritance (they're not), and would push for policies that level the playing field before college (they don't).

Curiously, there isn't much outcry against legacy admissions at Ivy League universities or the advantages that wealthy private school students enjoy. Is it because the children of society's elite are considered the most deserving by default?

It's not a rhetorical question; I really don't know the answer.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
If the conservatives on this forum were truly interested in a meritocracy (they're not), then they would be opposed to the entire concept of inheritance (they're not), and would push for policies that level the playing field before college (they don't).
That's a personal matter among family and sometimes friends. The government should not be involved in it in any way.

When my elderly parents pass, my situation will be typical of probably 90% of the people on this forum. I will inherit a lot of unpaid medical bills. I'll have to sell any estate assets to pay them. I may end up with a piece of furniture that I have no place for that has been passed down from a great grandmother. I could always check things at my parents house since my mother has put Post-It notes on the back of things instead of writing a formal will.

Quote:
Curiously, there isn't much outcry against legacy admissions at Ivy League universities or the advantages that wealthy private school students enjoy. Is it because the children of society's elite are considered the most deserving by default?
Private institution can have affirmative action programs and legacy admissions. They can discriminate on any personal trait they want. They don't accept government money.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM

24 posts, read 12,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
T
Private institution can have affirmative action programs and legacy admissions. They can discriminate on any personal trait they want. They don't accept government money.

No, that's not true. If I were a private landlord or a private shopkeeper, I couldn't discriminate based on race, sex or a host of factors due to federal laws in this country. Neither can private colleges.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonTownie View Post
If I were a private landlord or a private shopkeeper, I couldn't discriminate based on race, sex or a host of factors due to federal laws in this country. Neither can private colleges.
Actually, private landlords can discriminate since they are exempt from the Federal Fair Housing Act if the landlord has 4 or fewer rentals(states or cities might be more strict). Per federal rules, the landlord can't advertise regarding the discrimination but they can legally discriminate otherwise. For example, they can't advertise "No Catholics"(or X race, etc), but they can deny renting to someone if they are Catholic.

Shopkeeper is a different story. We'll soon find out about private colleges if new rules are about to be enacted by Trump.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:36 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,574 times
Then most schools will be primarily Asian. I wonder how soon people will call for restrictions that limit the number of Asians in schools- you know because "we can't get in if you just go by test scores. Why isn't some other criteria being considered?"

Old 07-03-2018, 09:43 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
i agree they shouldn't. white privilege is not a real thing.
I'm mostly against affirmative action because I think it's the wrong way to tackle the problem of a lack of diversity. But you're wrong about white privilege not existing.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:46 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Remember kids. Racism is only okay if it benefits your race and only applies to once race.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
I'm actually opposed to affirmative action in college admissions for a number of reasons, but calling this a victory for meritocracy is a farce.

It's not a rhetorical question; I really don't know the answer.
It is an excellent question.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's a personal matter among family and sometimes friends. The government should not be involved in it in any way.
I won't even debate this point, because there are very few who share my views on the role of inheritance in society.

My only point was that removing race-based considerations from the college admissions process does very little to move us a closer to a "meritocracy," as one poster suggested. The truth is that there is very little appetite for a society that is truly based on merit, rather than family ties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies