Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:12 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times

Advertisements

If currently popular scientific theories and hypotheses about the Earth's climate at different times over the course of its existence are correct (and they very well may not be), then:

1. From the time the Earth was formed (when it was purportedly covered with molten lava) until now, the Earth has cooled.

2. Around 650 million years ago, during the "Snowball Earth" period, the Earth was believed to have been covered in ice from pole to pole. Since that time, the Earth has warmed.

3. During the time of the dinosaurs, which spanned around 180 million years until about 65 million years ago, temperatures were largely warmer. So, since that time, the Earth has cooled.

4. Since the last ice age (around 12-20 thousand years ago), the Earth has warmed.

5. Since the Medieval Warming Period (around 800–1300 AD), when the Vikings were the terror of Europe and Greenland was actually green, the Earth has cooled.

6. Since the mini-ice age (around 1350-1850 AD), when the glaciers advanced, crop failures increased, deaths from epidemics and plague were common and Washington crossed an ice-choked Delaware river, the Earth has warmed.

7. Since around 1995, the Earth climate has stayed pretty flat and maybe even cooled a little bit.

Of course there are many other instances of cyclical climatic periods such as the ones above that could be added to this list. But the point is that the Earth's climate has always been in a state of change. It always has, and it always will. So no one should be surprised to discover that the Earth's climate continues to change at the present time.

Clearly, the Earth has warmed and cooled, and climate change is normal, natural and constant on the planet Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 06:21 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Sure, can do some things in this country that might help - however, we have no control over China, India, Russia, and a hundred other places. I just don't see how you get anything accomplished without shutting down major parts of the world economy and going back to a farming lifestyle everywhere.
Hey, you are right. No argument here. That was why pulling out of the Paris Accords was wrong in my opinion. The limits on carbon emissions were voluntary to begin with. It was a start. International cooperation is always difficult to achieve even in the best of times.

Any transition will be difficult. I am all for market solutions. I agree with Boneyard that you have to appeal to the wallet.

But what is the alternative. Heat trends continue like this, you will see a migration of human beings not seen since..well, in history.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:26 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I agree with almost all of this post. No solution will be perfect, but I can support most of your recommendations.
Appealing to a human's sense of civic duty generally only works when going to war or forming a witch hunt. LOL
Green energy is clean, renewable and if done well cost effective. A development not far from where I live, actually has it's own solar farm. On top of that every house has solar panels on their roofs. The houses are insulated and built like mine (same builder). My power bill is on average $30 a month. Theirs is a payday. $30 a month is cheap. Im not complaining. My Belgium neighbor who feels everyone else needs to do something has an average power bill of over a hundred a month. I know because the idiot complains non-stop. LOL he only uses his a/c at night and suffers in the day. In 6 months I haven't had a day under 90. I do wish I had a different neighbor. LOL
My Aussie and Canadian neighbors built after me. They used different builders but we all talked and they did a lot of what I did. No heat pumps though. LOL They did something I did later. Insulated awnings 270 degrees around the house. That shade made a world of difference.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:26 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Hey, you are right. No argument here. That was why pulling out of the Paris Accords was wrong in my opinion. The limits on carbon emissions were voluntary to begin with. It was a start. International cooperation is always difficult to achieve even in the best of times.

Any transition will be difficult. I am all for market solutions. I agree with Boneyard that you have to appeal to the wallet.

But what is the alternative. Heat trends continue like this, you will see a migration of human beings not seen since..well, in history.
I’m sitting in Minnesota with 20% of the world’s fresh water supply and a climate mostly unchanged. I am worried about mass migration more than almost anything else.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m sitting in Minnesota with 20% of the world’s fresh water supply and a climate mostly unchanged. I am worried about mass migration more than almost anything else.
I lived in Minnesota for three years. A beautiful place. According to some articles I have read, the migrations we see now, are in part, a response to changing climate patterns.

I just spent nearly two weeks in England. England is in the middle of an unprecedented heat wave and the start of drought conditions. Before I left, they were combating wildfires in parts of England. It has not made the international news yet.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Quote:
I lived in Minnesota for three years. A beautiful place. According to some articles I have read, the migrations we see now, are in part, a response to changing climate patterns.

I just spent nearly two weeks in England. England is in the middle of an unprecedented heat wave and the start of drought conditions. Before I left, they were combating wildfires in parts of England. It has not made the international news yet.
Some would argue that blaming illegal immigration on climate change is a weak excuse. It's about the have nots wanting what the haves have. Ie freedom, nice homes, clean water, law and order to name a few. The sad thing is that the illegals or migrants as some call them, come here and attempt to change us to be like where they came from. The same is true of legal immigrants to a point.
People aren't migrating because it is 1.3 degrees warmer over all this year than it was 30 years ago. They are migrating for the freebies.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Some would argue that blaming illegal immigration on climate change is a weak excuse. It's about the have nots wanting what the haves have. Ie freedom, nice homes, clean water, law and order to name a few. The sad thing is that the illegals or migrants as some call them, come here and attempt to change us to be like where they came from. The same is true of legal immigrants to a point.
People aren't migrating because it is 1.3 degrees warmer over all this year than it was 30 years ago. They are migrating for the freebies.
The article said "in part". There are obviously other factors. I was not only referring to the US but worldwide.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:03 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Quote:
What action would matter with 7 billion people on the planet? Where were you when the Chinese parked their bicycles in favor of automobiles fairly recently? If this thing is happening, it’s happening and there’s not a damn thing that will stop it. You liberals have this sunny view of humankind, but the reality is it would take WWIII to get people to change.
Have you no children ... no one to care about? The way your post reads you acknowledge the problem but you either don't give a damn or you are too lazy and selfish to try. I refuse to believe you could be so heartless.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 AM

182 posts, read 197,285 times
Quote:
This is blatantly untrue. The northern latitudes have experienced the most rapid pace of climate change, mostly reflected in greatly increased low temperatures during the winter months. Changes to the boreal forest which likely presage a total loss of this type of ecosystem within MN are already evident.

And, while it may have been a one off event, I couldn't help but notice that there was no tornado season this year--the cold air that mixes with the warm to produce severe weather just didn't leak down from Canada like it normally would during the Spring months. But what we have had is rain--storms that park themselves in one spot and cause flooding. These 500-year or 1,000-year flooding events have increased to the point that these terms seem to have no real meaning anymore.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
Quote:
What action would matter with 7 billion people on the planet? Where were you when the Chinese parked their bicycles in favor of automobiles fairly recently? If this thing is happening, it’s happening and there’s not a damn thing that will stop it. You liberals have this sunny view of humankind, but the reality is it would take WWIII to get people to change.
Conservatives, as long as they have their six pack and tv, don't give a damn about anything that requires actual effort to accomplish.

Imagine if our forefathers sitting around drinking beer all day and solving the world's problems from their bar stool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies