Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 09:11 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,740,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2685156

Wow, seems like the rates just keep going up and will likely skyrocket even more because of the body positive movement.

Seems like morbid obesity is now very trendy and chic across America.

No matter where I reside seems like few go outside except seniors these days.

Interesting, how the claim that eating healthy is very expensive.

Bags of frozen veggies are like 85 cents at the superstore near me, while a burger, fries and soda at fast-food restaurant are $8.50 or more in many cases plus tax.
Uh, "body positive" and other such "chic" movements are usually not taken seriously by "non-metro" populations....just saying.

The more healthy places tend to be more metro.....

Old 07-06-2018, 09:18 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,180,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I'm not the OP. But, I'm calling "nonsense".

Women in East Asia have multiple pregnancies, higher body fat than men, are shorter than men, and have fat-storing hormones... yet, they still manage to remain thin.

Are you going to assert that American women have substantially different biologies from Asian women?
East and Southeast Asian women tend to have smaller bone structures than other women and they don't build muscle as easily, so even with the same amount of fat, they look smaller than the average American woman.

And then when you factor in the different lifestyle designs than the US (more walkability, much more availability of foods that are quick, cheap, delicious yet healthy, etc), they too have it much easier to maintain a healthy weight.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:24 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,402,040 times
I think you have the order reversed, OP.

There were a lot of obese people and that is why the body positive movement started.

I think we need to be mindful of obesity and its potential health consequences while also not trying our best to make people feel terrible about who they are at the moment.

You catch more flies with honey than buttermilk.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:32 AM

2,767 posts, read 1,593,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
East and Southeast Asian women tend to have smaller bone structures than other women and they don't build muscle as easily, so even with the same amount of fat, they look smaller than the average American woman.
Really?

I've never heard that.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201...N0A001_11n.jpg

Quote:
And then when you factor in the different lifestyle designs than the US (more walkability, much more availability of foods that are quick, cheap, delicious yet healthy, etc), they too have it much easier to maintain a healthy weight.
A pound of cure is worth an ounce of prevention.

Asian women are terrified of getting fat. They do not think it is "OK" to be fat. Its easier to stay thin than it is to lose fat.

If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them!

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-06-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 AM

659 posts, read 1,764,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2685156

Wow, seems like the rates just keep going up and will likely skyrocket even more because of the body positive movement.

Seems like morbid obesity is now very trendy and chic across America.

No matter where I reside seems like few go outside except seniors these days.

Interesting, how the claim that eating healthy is very expensive.

Bags of frozen veggies are like 85 cents at the superstore near me, while a burger, fries and soda at fast-food restaurant are $8.50 or more in many cases plus tax.
I'm 1000% with you on this. I do think that some kindness and empathy toward people who struggle to take the weight off is in order, but I don't think we should just pass it off as some kind of adorable personality quirk. It can be a very serious life-threatening medical condition, and it's not a joke.

One thing I've noticed is couples who tend to be obese together and (even sadder and more infuriating) when the children become obese as a result of their parents negligence (which I personally think should be addressed by CPS, but that's another topic for another thread...).

I have a medical condition that makes my metabolism virtually non-existent and obesity runs in my family, so I am extra careful about what I eat and what I keep in the house. My husband is a lover of food and a bit of a sugar addict (who isn't?) so I do the most loving thing possible for him - I don't keep any junk food in the house and I cook only healthy, fresh meals for us.

Now that I'm finally married to a sane, loving human being, I want to be with that human as long as possible, so we work out together/do outdoorsy/outside activities and eat healthy as often as possible. We make it a priority, and no - it's not that expensive if you know what to look for and how to prepare meals.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 AM

26,710 posts, read 15,256,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It depends on the rice. Basmati rice has a significantly lower glycemic index than pasta or other rices.

No one is making anyone eat that garbage. They're eating it of their own free will.
Yes and yes, but there seems to be a strong political emphasis from many on making people not accountable for their own actions on all sorts of things including what they choose to eat multiple times everyday.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 AM

19,847 posts, read 12,390,763 times
The often idealized female body type of young men is ---- weird. Large breasts, a teeny tiny waist and huge hips, butt and thighs. Those ladies have to weight a hefty amount with all that going on.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:44 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,479,160 times
Quote:
There is definitely healthy fat. I look better fat. I'm 5'10 and at 120 lbs my face looks skeletal, but at 130 lbs, I actually have cheeks.

Unfortunately for me, it's difficult for me to keep weight on.
lol 130 at 5'10" is skinny as hell

Old 07-06-2018, 09:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,443,213 times
My daughter and I have been shopping to refresh our wardrobes over the last couple of weeks, and I've noticed that several of the clothing lines we prefer are using models of a variety of sizes, from super thin to on the heavier side. I don't want to discount the marketing savvy of these decisions, but generally I see this as a good thing. In the past, it's been terribly depressing to walk into a store as a size 12 or above and be shut out of all that is fashionable. I love that people of all shapes and sizes are supported in feeling good about themselves and presenting their best face to the world as they go about their lives, which hopefully includes eating well and exercising no matter what the bathroom scale says.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-06-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,180,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Really?

I've never heard that.
Compared to non-Asian female bodybuilders, those women are tiny.

Top 5 Sexiest Female Bodybuilders In The World - EHotBuzz

Quote:
A pound of cure is worth an ounce of prevention.

Asian women are terrified of getting fat. They do not think it is "OK" to be fat. Its easier to stay thin than it is to lose fat.

If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them!
I'm not saying it's impossible for American women to be thin. They can certainly overcome their limitations, but they have to do just that. It takes far more deliberate effort and self-discipline to be thin in the US than in most Asian countries.

That's why it's so common for foreigners to unwittingly gain weight when they come to live there. They took for granted the relative ease of weight management in their home countries, and didn't realize that in the US, most women have to really WORK at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies