Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:02 AM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times

Advertisements

It's impossible to gain weight without an excess of calories. 1 lb of human fat = 3500 calories and it doesn't matter how you get them. Simply physics. So tired of reading/hearing the excuses.

I work with thousands of people. I sit in the same cafeteria they do and see what they eat at least two meals a day. The chunksters are ordering huge meals and then avoid the gym like the plague. The ones in shape I see in the gym and taking multiple walks a day in the parking lot.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,869,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Let me guess OP. You're a man. How easy it is to judge when you don't have the disadvantages of higher body fat, pregnancies, shorter stature, and fat storing hormones already in place.
Oh yes, of course, because dietary and lifestyle habits have nothing to do with it. it is amazing how people, in your case women, did not have such stats even a generation ago. SO you are telling me that women genetically changed within a generation? And that genetic change only occurred in places with the "western diet"?

Old 07-06-2018, 10:04 AM

19,735 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Compared to non-Asian female bodybuilders, those women are tiny.

Top 5 Sexiest Female Bodybuilders In The World - EHotBuzz

I'm not saying it's impossible for American women to be thin. They can certainly overcome their limitations, but they have to do just that. It takes far more deliberate effort and self-discipline to be thin in the US than in most Asian countries.

That's why it's so common for foreigners to unwittingly gain weight when they come to live there. They took for granted the relative ease of weight management in their home countries, and didn't realize that in the US, most women have to really WORK at it.
Meh. It's not that hard to not be obese. Everyone doesn't need to be thin.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:30 AM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Meh. It's not that hard to not be obese. Everyone doesn't need to be thin.
Apparently some people are addicted to food like some are addicted to heroin and smoking.

Those fat models make a good diet plan. Every time I see one I lose my appetite.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:34 AM

139 posts, read 109,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I'm afraid and sorry about it (I think one shouldn't shame anyone for any reason - well maybe in a court of law ) but it DOES work.As a teenager, I was somewhat chubby (when I look at pictures taken back then, I truly don't see it), and my father would call me "ma grosse" (my fattie). It certainly worked in the way of maintaining a good weight as an adult when the youth chubby faded but these wors still resound in my head from time to time, so it was also a very negative way of building self confidence, BUT it DOES work.

I have weighed the same minus or plus a kilo for 20 years, 1m74 56kg (I think it's 5'9 and 120 pounds). At my fattest (when I was my father's fatty), I must have been around 140 pounds, so yes the culture of fat shaming here is snipping it in the bud (right expression?)

I am of a culture where a pure stranger in the sreet would tell you directly "leave that croissant, you certainly don't need it", and that is not the harshest. Families and friends would tell you more directly even.

But another difference (as in Italy), we are also of a culture where we eat smaller portions (but delicious, with whole cream, butter and the gang), adults never snack, and we still cook homemade meals in vast majority.

Of course, there is still a problem with growing weight, although governmental measures has managed to not only stop but decrease every year childhood weight since ten years or so.

But, if more people are overweight, it is extremely rare to see a morbid obese person here (or it's a tourist )

So, I don't like the message I'm delivering, but it does work. The thing here is that people tell you when you've put on 5 or 10 pounds, not 50!

Although, I'm not sure it would in the USA, since, as in every society, one confronts one's image with whoever surrounds you. The more people are obese, the more you think you're normal.

https://twitter.com/OECD/status/8651...ce-va-aggraver
This is such a sad, sad story. 5’9” and 140 is not chubby anywhere. Not Europe, not the US, not Somalia. You even said yourself you dont see it in pics— BECAUSE IT WASNT THERE.
Sounds like your father, as otherwise lovable as he may have been, had some really twisted ideas about the size that women should be, and you’ve absorbed and believed that message all your life – and are now sharing it on an Internet message board.

Don’t get me wrong – I actually really agree that Europeans and Asians and most of the world are actually much healthier than Americans these days- I totally agree with your full fat, less snacking, ideas. (and Americans themselves, interesting enough, used to be thinner when we ate more like what you’re describing). BUT a woman at 5’9” and 140 anywhere in the world, depending on her body frame/bone structure, is considered medically at a perfect weight, to even slightly underweight if she has a particularly large bone structure.

I’m so sorry you were shamed. But please, please stop the shaming going forward.
And if you have a daughter or daughters, please don’t make them think that they must be 120 lbs at 5’9”.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,066,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You said lib tardz were promoting it as an excuse for women and brought up a whole bunch of other nonsense that makes me question your fitness.
Oh...yeah, I said that and stand by it. Militant feminists are all lib tardz and they (and others) who rail against female "body image ideals" are normally jealous that they don't/can't look like the ideal they protest against. Funny, but then aren't they "thin shaming" women who stay in shape and watch what they eat??? Then they try to convince us that fat can be beautiful, that no one should pass judgement on a "plus sized" woman....yada, yada....their BS wishful storyline. Yet they can pass judgment on supermodels, actresses, etc. because they feel they promote an unnatural image and they should say what the ideal should be......as always, it's the same ol': scratch a liberal, get a contradiction.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM

19,735 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
This is such a sad, sad story. 5’9” and 140 is not chubby anywhere. Not Europe, not the US, not Somalia. You even said yourself you dont see it in pics— BECAUSE IT WASNT THERE.
Sounds like your father, as otherwise lovable as he may have been, had some really twisted ideas about the size that women should be, and you’ve absorbed and believed that message all your life – and are now sharing it on an Internet message board.

Don’t get me wrong – I actually really agree that Europeans and Asians and most of the world are actually much healthier than Americans these days- I totally agree with your full fat, less snacking, ideas. (and Americans themselves, interesting enough, used to be thinner when we ate more like what you’re describing). BUT a woman at 5’9” and 140 anywhere in the world, depending on her body frame/bone structure, is considered medically at a perfect weight, to even slightly underweight if she has a particularly large bone structure.

I’m so sorry you were shamed. But please, please stop the shaming going forward.
And if you have a daughter or daughters, please don’t make them think that they must be 120 lbs at 5’9”.
A lot of times people, males especially, will tease like that and not mean it as a terrible thing. I had some guy in high school poking at my waist calling me chubby and he actually had a crush on me and asked me out. My father called me fatty or something, but from their generation and culture it was kind of a complement.

We need to not be so sensitive over silly remarks. We all are better off with some reasonable fat storage. You can't even give blood if you are under 110 lbs, and if you are particularly short you need to weigh more than that.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 632,355 times
Disgusting movement that we are too accepting of. End of story, those who support or don’t say something are equally repulsive.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,009,850 times
While I agree that obesity is a problem, it's weird that you tried to turn it into a gender issue.

Plenty of states have more obese men than women, like Alabama, oh! hey! wait!! ALL of the states!! Except for Virgin Islands (yes, I know it is not a state).

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-06-2018, 11:36 AM

5,316 posts, read 2,123,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Really?

I've never heard that.

A pound of cure is worth an ounce of prevention.

Asian women are terrified of getting fat. They do not think it is "OK" to be fat. Its easier to stay thin than it is to lose fat.

If you argue for your limitations, you get to keep them!
That poster didn't say it was impossible, just that it wasn't as easy, I was curious and looked it up. Here's one study...SM here is skeletal muscle.
"African American (AA) males and females tended to have higher values of SM mass across the lifespan, while Asian females and Hispanic males had the smaller absolute SM mass compared to the other groups (Fig. 3)."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2795070/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies