Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 03:31 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,184,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
First, thanks for your thoughtful post and kind too.

It was in the bud but definitely didn't deserve a fatty nickname And not exactly shaming, just instillating the idea that I should take care of myself. But then, I've never known a situation where I had to lose more than 5 pounds as those were just young teenager chubiness and were gone with no effort. So I couldn't say about peole struggling with a lot of too much weight.

I don't shame anyone about their weight. I was just trying to express, probably clumsily, that telling people when they begin to gain more than two or three pounds does actually work. So much easier to stay thin/healthy weight than to lose plenty of pounds, that's the cultural part I was talking about.

And I can assure you that at 120, I'm NO WAY skeletal (yey, good for me )

Anyway, Europe or US or Asia, the rule stays the same, there is no other way : eat what you burn.

I don't believe in diets and not only don't I believe in them, I think they are harmful. Diet has lost its original meaning : what you eat. And that is for life. Once one gets that, it all comes out well.

I have to wonder what will happen to us as more people lose their jobs because of automation? Of course, if you are starving to death, then people would lose. But, if we come out with some form of universal basic income, would that only make the problem worse?

Evolution taught us to be hunter gatherers; it kept us lean. That no longer applies. Any 'basic' income would force many to turn to high calorie food instead of healthy choices. Healthy is not always cheap.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,590,256 times
Quote:
I'm afraid and sorry about it (I think one shouldn't shame anyone for any reason - well maybe in a court of law ) but it DOES work.As a teenager, I was somewhat chubby (when I look at pictures taken back then, I truly don't see it), and my father would call me "ma grosse" (my fattie). It certainly worked in the way of maintaining a good weight as an adult when the youth chubby faded but these wors still resound in my head from time to time, so it was also a very negative way of building self confidence, BUT it DOES work.

I have weighed the same minus or plus a kilo for 20 years, 1m74 56kg (I think it's 5'9 and 120 pounds). At my fattest (when I was my father's fatty), I must have been around 140 pounds, so yes the culture of fat shaming here is snipping it in the bud (right expression?)

I am of a culture where a pure stranger in the sreet would tell you directly "leave that croissant, you certainly don't need it", and that is not the harshest. Families and friends would tell you more directly even.

But another difference (as in Italy), we are also of a culture where we eat smaller portions (but delicious, with whole cream, butter and the gang), adults never snack, and we still cook homemade meals in vast majority.

Of course, there is still a problem with growing weight, although governmental measures has managed to not only stop but decrease every year childhood weight since ten years or so.

But, if more people are overweight, it is extremely rare to see a morbid obese person here (or it's a tourist )

So, I don't like the message I'm delivering, but it does work. The thing here is that people tell you when you've put on 5 or 10 pounds, not 50!

Although, I'm not sure it would in the USA, since, as in every society, one confronts one's image with whoever surrounds you. The more people are obese, the more you think you're normal.

https://twitter.com/OECD/status/8651...ce-va-aggraver
^^^^^ This.

The same was true for my mother, except the other person was another relative other than my grandfather.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:05 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,662,797 times
Quote:
I'm afraid and sorry about it (I think one shouldn't shame anyone for any reason - well maybe in a court of law ) but it DOES work.As a teenager, I was somewhat chubby (when I look at pictures taken back then, I truly don't see it), and my father would call me "ma grosse" (my fattie). It certainly worked in the way of maintaining a good weight as an adult when the youth chubby faded but these wors still resound in my head from time to time, so it was also a very negative way of building self confidence, BUT it DOES work.

I have weighed the same minus or plus a kilo for 20 years, 1m74 56kg (I think it's 5'9 and 120 pounds). At my fattest (when I was my father's fatty), I must have been around 140 pounds, so yes the culture of fat shaming here is snipping it in the bud (right expression?)

I am of a culture where a pure stranger in the sreet would tell you directly "leave that croissant, you certainly don't need it", and that is not the harshest. Families and friends would tell you more directly even.

But another difference (as in Italy), we are also of a culture where we eat smaller portions (but delicious, with whole cream, butter and the gang), adults never snack, and we still cook homemade meals in vast majority.

Of course, there is still a problem with growing weight, although governmental measures has managed to not only stop but decrease every year childhood weight since ten years or so.

But, if more people are overweight, it is extremely rare to see a morbid obese person here (or it's a tourist )

So, I don't like the message I'm delivering, but it does work. The thing here is that people tell you when you've put on 5 or 10 pounds, not 50!

Although, I'm not sure it would in the USA, since, as in every society, one confronts one's image with whoever surrounds you. The more people are obese, the more you think you're normal.

https://twitter.com/OECD/status/8651...ce-va-aggraver
I’m an American, but I recently lived in Brussels so I’m familiar with the cultural differences. I wish we’d be more like you. People should be made aware that the five pounds they’ve packed on should be shed as soon as possible. It’s kinder to do that than to wait until five becomes 50 and it’s much harder to lose and becomes a health hazard.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are no standard sizes.

At that; this Monroe myth keeps going and going, a size 12 then is not the same as a size 12 now. Monroe weighed all of 118lbs at 5'5". She would be between a size 0-4 depending on what it was and who made it.
That sounds about right. During most of my lifetime my mother fluctuated between 108 and 115 at 5' 5 1/2" and she was a 0-4 depending on what it was and who made it. The most she ever weighed during my lifetime was 130 and the largest size I ever remember her mentioning re herself (in the 1960s) was 12 (I'm a straight guy, but I don't have any sisters, and the women on my mother's side of the family functioned in a highly appearance conscious atmosphere. Fortunately I grew up with about 80% guys, very sports oriented (many sports), built forts, etc....to balance out the 'estrogen/fashion stuff' ).

Old 07-09-2018, 04:47 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,877,466 times
I'm sure "fat shaming" works to slim down some people, but the emphasis on maintaining a low weight over maintaining good health brings along other unhealthy behaviors, such as smoking, purging, and avoiding necessary nutrients that would help avoid things like osteoporosis in the long run. It's also a really unpleasant way to live, constantly feeling as though self-worth is tied to size.

Throw in that there are people who are naturally going to tend pudgy - if they're made to feel like whales for being a bit round, and they can't achieve a slim body type despite their best effort, they're liable to just throw up their hands and say "Well, I guess I'm fat then" and give up altogether on trying to keep their weight down.

I tend to think that someone who feels good in their body at whatever size is more likely to get out and dance, do yoga, hike, join a sports group, etc. Someone who isn't ashamed of their body would be more likely to work with doctors and trainers. Someone who values their body is more likely to eat healthy foods (even if the portions might be oversized) and avoid unhealthy substances and actions. I think it's silly to blame the "body positive" movement for the upward trend in US weight - I would think it's not a cause, but a response, and that in many cases, it's not at all in conflict with working toward a healthier body. I also think it's good that clothing makers are responding - if workout clothing lines stop at size 12, what's that saying to bigger women if they can't even buy an exercise necessity like a sports bra?

And at the end of the day, our bodies are really just carrying our brains and souls (religious sense or not) around. Being fat does nothing to diminish a person's possible contributions - it doesn't make their ideas less worthwhile, their kind deeds less kind. Someone shouldn't feel that their value as a person depends on their figure.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
That's it! Lovecroads just needs a BBW who can smother him with all her curves and love. Some of them like thin guys too.
It's highly doubtful that Lovecrowds (the OP) started this thread re not getting enough attention from women. He has mentioned in other threads that he is a gay man.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,171 times
Yesterday I was at a party for a neighbor that just graduated high school. 7 of her friends were there. Of the 8 girls, 3 were fat. Sadly, that ratio seems common these days.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:15 AM

50,456 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, somehow one of the McD's salads had more calories than the BigMac (or more fat, can't remember).
That's because of the salad dressing. If you go with a diet dressing it's not an issue. The issue is people don't care. Also, not many going into McDs are there for the salads.

The thing is you can still eat pretty well there without gaining weight. A single burger and a water are well under a meals calorie allowance.

The problem starts with the super size fries and drinks.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 AM

48,573 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
That's because of the salad dressing. If you go with a diet dressing it's not an issue. The issue is people don't care. Also, not many going into McDs are there for the salads.

The thing is you can still eat pretty well there without gaining weight. A single burger and a water are well under a meals calorie allowance.

The problem starts with the super size fries and drinks.
This salad it was in the chicken and some of the salad toppings, in addition to the salad. Had to go look it up, and it was more salt, fat AND calories than the big mac.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times
I'd love to see pictures of any of the rabid fat women haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies