Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Yoiu did not save our butts, as for D-Day, Commonwealth personnel, nearly all British and Canadian, outnumbered the Americans on D-day. Of the 156,000 men landed in France on 6 June, 73,000 were American, and 83,000 were British and Canadian, while the Commonwealth naval contingent was twice that of the Americans.
This " we save your butts " thing is ingrained into the American psyche. Through movies and pop culture, they are bred to believe that the US went alone in fighting Nazi's. The movie U-571 is just one example. Heck even a proud moment of Canadian history was changed to make the American heroes in the movie Argo. There are many more examples, some blatant, most subtle.

Before everyone gets into a tizzy, not ALL Americans of course, just the ones who haven't bothered to read beyond their own propaganda.

This also doesn't mean that the US didn't contribute in significant ways, but some have to be reminded, that it was Russia that also played a significant role, along with the rest of the allied forces.

I've met some Americans who thought Russia was the enemy in World War 2. I've also met some who seem to believe they know all about the two world wars, and yet still ask " was Canada in the war? "

So good on you for setting part of the record straight.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-14-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:48 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,437,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Trump salutes a North Korean general but doesn't bow to the Queen. Trump just didn't know any better, Trump holds a high position but has a low IQ.
Bump and rep...
Cause yeah, there s a new kid in town.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No need for POTUS, or any American, to bow to Brits.

We loaned you money for WWI, which you never paid back. We loaned you money and stuff for WWII and to reconstruct your bankrupted nation afterward. It took 60 years for you to pay us back for that, and we gave you a very favorable interest rate (and many of you resented us for that).

You burned down the White House. You are debtors.

You don't even get to joke about thrashing our POTUS.

Perhaps you'll remember the next time how we have come to your aid?
Good evening Mr/Mrs Salmonburger....... You get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Lighten up!

Jeez, you've got a long memory haven't ya? All right I was wrong about the Himalayan pink rock salt. It's a little expensive for throwing into wounds. Have you seen the price of it? Kitchen salt will do......

When did you come to our aid? You're right I forgot. President Reagan gave us some assistance during the Falklands War quietly. I thank him for that, and thank you for reminding me......

Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I guess the Brits would blast him for this. Me? I don't care f Americans bow to the Queen or not. She's not our Queen. There is a lot to be upset at regarding Trump. This is not one of those things. I have a bigger issue with the interview he gave t the Sun, then claimed it was "fake news" before apologizing for the interview.
There is so much friggin' "etiquette" regarding the Royal Family that I highly doubt that most visitors ever do everything they are supposed to.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Don't give a damn what the Brits think. They have enough problems with their own leadership.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM

326 posts, read 199,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Trump should have considered asking Barack Obama for help with this. Obama was quite the expert when it came to bowing to foreign leaders.
Indeed.

Personally... I like Trump's approach better. That fact he doesn't care what the haters think and only cares about MAGA is exactly why I voted for him and not the career politician.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
A Queen is no different from you or I. Her blood isn't actually blue, you know.
Who told you that? Of course it's blue. You not heard of Royal Blue?

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Prove it. As I've shown, multiple sources say he was late.
But...are these "sources" non partisan?

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Old 07-14-2018, 11:56 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Bump and rep...
Cause yeah, there s a new kid in town.
Apparently you missed this:

"However, eagle-eyed viewers have spotted Trump did in fact give a subtle bow of his head when he stepped out his Range Rover and locked eyes with the Queen.

Many people missed it because the car door was blocking the TV cameras showing the nod in full effect - but it's there in the video footage to view (see above)."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mir...u-12912899.amp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies