Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 01:42 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why does it have to be a competition, though? Sure, when harassment happens to men they might feel humiliated and scared and lonely and they need to be able to speak up as well, but this isn't necessarily the place to be, "I know this happens to women a lot more often, but what about men?"

This topically related essay from Caitlin Moran is a good read, too: https://www.thecut.com/2018/07/caitl...ous-essay.html

It is a competition, but it is one that is more between women than women and men.

Men have evolved to respond to shaming from women in ways that benefit women.

In fact, we'll do just about anything to avoid this shaming, even if it places us in danger (see White Feather Society).

This shaming of men by women is a powerful tool that insures women are provided a protected and privileged place within society.

To be sure, inappropriate sexual advances by men, real or imagined, is the air this primitive dance breathes.

It's only natural that women would try to outdo other women with their own stories of inappropriate male sexual advances.

#metoo might as well be called, "yeah, but I got one even better than that!"

It really isn't much different that a group of teen-aged boys bragging about their real or imagined sexual exploits and ruining a girl's reputation in the process....just two-sides of the same coin.

In the old days, when people weren't working so hard to hide their duplicity, women purchased trashy magazines that dealt with inappropriate male behavior; specifically, kidnapping and rape.

The magazines are gone, but there still exists a deep-seated neurotic need in many females to be rescued from a male that doesn't respect boundaries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=true...w=1920&bih=947

Last edited by momonkey; 07-08-2018 at 02:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 01:46 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,405,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
No. It’s not that easy. Most guys ( the good ones who make up the majority ) had no idea this shiite was happening. My ex husband would have gone to jail if he’d heard some of the stuff that I put up with in my twenties.
Must be nice to have a big strong husband eager to defend your honor...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit....html#poststop

Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,509 times
Quote:
I prefer actual justice. If you have a complaint goto court or eeoc. Branding someone with a hash tag with no due process makes me feel uneasy.
There was a burlesque performer that falsly claimed #MeToo with the first and last name of her producer regarding a make-out session they had, kissing and falling asleep together...nothing sexual.

HE SUED her for slander (or defemation) forget which...but here's the article.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/10/burles...ed-me-of-rape/

Well, as you know, burlesque performers don't have a pot too Pi** in money-wise and she put up a GoFundMe page to have someone to pay her laywer fees to defend herself.

So...that was the backlash of HER branding someone with a hash tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is the problem - many women and girls are so ashamed that they won't try to do anything about it. And you can see what happens when they do. Some are being shamed for it right here on this thread. That's the whole point - to realize it isn't *their* shame.

Keeping these incidents quiet has enabled a whole butt ton of abuse. Bringing them into the light of day makes it less easy for an abuser to keep abusing. That's actually true of abuse of any kind. It thrives on secrecy and dies when it's dragged out of th closet and looked at publicly.

Women have been shamed or threatened into shutting up for so long that they're afraid of more of that. The goal here, I believe, is to reverse that so women DO press charges of take other necessary measures.

It isn't about wanting to be a victim, that is just more sneering and shaming to shut sufferers up. But that tried and true old tactic is working less and less as awareness grows.

Now, OTOH boys can be sexually molested too, and men can be harrassed. I wish #metoo included men. It should be for any abuse victim.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Me too, I’m tired of always making the first move, buying the drinks, always paying for the date, always picking someone up/dropping them off, always being the breadwinner, being withheld sex as a weapon

I hear a lot of guys whining about this (not all, just some).
You know it's not just men who have to ask out, pay, drive, etc, right?
Just as a gay woman, it never occurred to me to complain about doing nice things for someone I was interested in or moan about taking care of my family.

Hmmmm...wonder why...?

By the way, is gauche to complain about a paradigm that men set up in the first place. Good news is that it is changing.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:53 AM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This editorial in the NYT is really interesting - analyzing how men in therapy have reacted post-#metoo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/o...sculinity.html

I hadn't thought about how men may also be replaying and rethinking their interactions with women in the past when stories like Weinstein and Ansari came out.

Some may not even have the language to explain it.

It is clear, especially here in this forum, that some men see women as conquests and not partners. And the shapes their approach, interactions and relationship health.

There have ALWAYS been male pansies and always will! Most are found in liberal cities and urban areas.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,735,374 times
This is a relationship issue, politics aside.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:02 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,251,755 times
So some guys have emotional issues from childhood that affect their relationships with others. Yep.

I have to wonder about women who get involved with non empathetic men. It would not be a pleasant relationship.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshyy View Post
The only reason lots of men aren't taking advantage of young women - teenagers and college-aged women - is because they would go to jail if they did, but if for any reason they would be able of doing everything they desire to do, to women, sexually, lots of men would be acting like invading marauders.
Completely untrue.

Quote:
There's millions of undesireable men in this world who are too lazy and too entitled to make themselves attractive, and instead want to turn our western society into the middle-east.
Completely untrue.

Quote:
I've always been of the opinion that undesirable men should have their sexual desires curbed.
What an incredibly Misandrist post.

Lemme guess... you think there should be a Tribunal of Women to evaluate each man with a thumbs-up or thumbs-down?

Quote:
In Europe, prostitution is pretty much either legal or it's known of by the authorities and no one does anything about it, but the same can't be said in the states.
Completely untrue.

Quote:
So how about we band up and pressure the pharmacology industry with a solution? They could easily come up with medication that kills off these losers sex drives...
Blatant Misandry.

Quote:
Which sex is reponsible for all of the terrorist bombings, school shootings? Men. Why do those young men do what they do, throwing away their lives and taking so many innocent lives with them? Because they can't get laid.

It is amazing to read a post that shows no ability to engage in analytical thought processes.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Yes, it seems to be a problem for them.
False and misandrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
They put forth the suggestion that it is women who must change or even that women must be segregated—ANYTHING but men’s having to change their behavior.
False.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Some are being shamed for it right here on this thread.
I disagree. Please post a link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies