Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm just talking about common sense abortion controls that all Americans agree on, what's not reasonable about that?
When was the last time “All Americans” agreed on anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 07:28 AM

89,091 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Actually I do not think that black women are so stupid that they can be coerced into having abortions that they do not want.
Why don't they use the contraceptives they can get at the exact same PP facilities where they get their abortions so that their very high rate of abortion isn't necessary in the first place? Why does failing to do such so disproportionately affect Black women?

Old 07-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
When was the last time “All Americans” agreed on anything?
Good point. Since only 45% of Americans support abortion for the sake of convenience during the first trimester, that shouldn't be allowed.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good point. Since only 45% of Americans support abortion for the sake of convenience during the first trimester, that shouldn't be allowed.

Yet another reason that regulations shouldn't be developed based on popular votes, incarcerating Japanese Citizens was also very popular during WW2.

Maybe the OP or someone else can explain the "Planned Parenthood Loophole".

Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand why people like OP think a stranger's decision to bring a child into the world (or not) is their business. It isn't. Deciding whether one can realistically become a parent is the most personal decision one can make. Who are you to judge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I can't speak for the OP but I can't fathom how anyone calling themselves human with a heart can think killing an unborn child is an acceptable remedy for their "ailment".
You're not answering the very simple question I asked. It's not a stranger's business what someone else does with their own body. And to drive the point home further, the majority of these so called pro-life advocates really aren't pro-life. I say this because they care little for the people who are already on this earth. They want welfare benefits cut, Medicaid cut, WIC cut, Section 8, and God forbid the minimum wage be raised so people can afford to live without being on welfare. Then they insist women be forced to have babies they can't afford because they are suddenly so concerned about life Even more ironically, they are usually advocates for increasing defense (as in war) spending.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM

37,128 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I certainly do. I think that if you don’t get an abortion by 6 weeks, it should be very hard to justify it after that.
The problem is access. Six weeks is very close to the time that a pregnancy can be diagnosed. Then a woman has to get to someone who is willing to do an abortion. In some states, there are waiting periods and other hoops that must be jumped through. Some women have to save up money to pay for the procedure. Reducing abortion later in pregnancy can be facilitated by making it easier to get it done earlier, not harder.

Then there is the issue of teenagers who do not tell their parents as soon as they suspect they are pregnant.

That is also far too early to diagnose fetal anomalies.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yet another reason that regulations shouldn't be developed based on popular votes, incarcerating Japanese Citizens was also very popular during WW2.
Gun "control" is popular, so let's eliminate that.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:44 AM

3,085 posts, read 1,554,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You're not answering the very simple question I asked. It's not a stranger's business what someone else does with their own body. And to drive the point home further, the majority of these so called pro-life advocates really aren't pro-life. I say this because they care little for the people who are already on this earth. They want welfare benefits cut, Medicaid cut, WIC cut, Section 8, and God forbid the minimum wage be raised so people can afford to live without being on welfare. Then they insist women be forced to have babies they can't afford because they are suddenly so concerned about life Even more ironically, they are usually advocates for increasing defense (as in war) spending.
Also many of the same people support capital punishment. Its ok for govt to kill innocent men, women and children... oh so sorry... but let women decide what is best for them.. and the sky is falling. Its all about controlling women. We arent any better than many of the countries who have cultures that keep women in their place. Ours are just hidden behind a veneer of progress. But its still only a veneer.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,517,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Half of the women who have abortions were using contraception during the month in which they conceived.

I note you are not telling men to keep their pants zipped.

Half of the women who have abortions were using contraception during the month in which they conceived.
Normal people understand bc has a failure rate and those failures can result in unwanted pregnancies and then abortions. Still, ...

What about the 50% of women who were not using any bc method in the month they became pregnant. That seems like a high % if there's a true concern over unwanted pregnancy/abortion.

Even among the 50% who did use bc in the month of pregnancy, not all used them consistently or properly. Condoms, among the least reliable methods, is the most frequently used, followed by the pill, and then what should barely be called a bc method, withdrawal.

For those who agree abortion should be safe, legal, and rare, those stats aren't terrific; for those who leave out and rare, the stats don't matter.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,964,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Targeting? How about most of that map shows high population areas
Targeting? or locating where the services re most needed?
Blacks make up about 16% of the population. So you are saying blacks just like abortion more? Kinda racist, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies