Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,224,096 times

Advertisements

In this case, the female police escalated the situation by touching his arm(?) and the shot man escalated it even further by touching his concealed gun( in a lot of eyes it would appear as though he was preparing to pull it out) and running away. People really should stop doing that as an action to take when confronted by cops, especially when you're not a criminal...or so its being claimed. Mind you, this is not my take from watching the video but what I've gathered from reading a lot on this thread.

Some posters have pointed out that other countries don't have nearly the amount of police involved shootings. I believe most of the countries also don't have nearly the amount of violence we have here nor are their social problems probably as bad either. Take Japan for example, the police still carry guns but they rely on martial arts, hand to hand combat skills. Extremely rare for them to resort to guns and they probably almost never have to. Japanese culture looks down on criminal behavior. Even when looking at their most infamous criminal organization( and perhaps sanctioned), the Yakuza, would probably condemn most of the buffoonery that goes on here" and your average American type criminal wouldn't thrive there. I say all of this and use Japan to then say this: In order to stop police shootings, we have to address the real elephant in the room. American culture. And since people like to bring up the 2nd Amendment, its safe to say that guns have been embedded in the culture. You know, there are things that were also stated in the Constitution that is no longer in use" such as blacks being counted as three-fifths of a human. Maybe its time to at least seriously consider removing guns from almost all fabrics of our society. If someone wants to legally buy a gun, make it so expensive that buying one will want you to question whether it was worth it or not. Not only that, but convince other nearby countries to enforce this as well, since it won't be sufficient enough to enforce this in just America when its not an island. I say all of this, but I'm not sure it would be even capable of setting this law in motion without. A huge uproar. Since we do have the 2nd amendment, it means guns have been in our society a for a very long time. A lot of people do not like change after its been around for so long. Another civil war could occur if such an action would be attempted. I believe the vast majority of countries with semi-gun bans among civilians probably never had guns embedded in their constitution for a long time either, if at all.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,371,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Bergun and Grumpy 'ol man, I'm with you - but why engage someone so obviously wrong who posts just to post? Personally, I won't waste my time.

Most of us agree there is a real problem with trigger happy cops but this wasn't one of those cases. This isn't Philando Castille, as I've said before, and some folks are so dense they're unaware of Terry stops. They see cop + black man and in their wee little minds, that automatically = wrongful shooting. It's as ignorant as those who see cop + black man and think that = guy deserved it because he didn't comply.
A stop-and-frisk refers to a brief non-intrusive police stop of a suspect. The Fourth Amendment requires that before stopping the suspect, the police must have a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, is being, or is about to be committed by the suspect.

From your link.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
In this case, the female police escalated the situation by touching his arm(?) and the shot man escalated it even further by touching his concealed gun( in a lot of eyes it would appear as though he was preparing to pull it out) and running away. People really should stop doing that as an action to take when confronted by cops, especially when you're not a criminal...or so its being claimed. Mind you, this is not my take from watching the video but what I've gathered from reading a lot on this thread.

Some posters have pointed out that other countries don't have nearly the amount of police involved shootings. I believe most of the countries also don't have nearly the amount of violence we have here nor are their social problems probably as bad either. Take Japan for example, the police still carry guns but they rely on martial arts, hand to hand combat skills. Extremely rare for them to resort to guns and they probably almost never have to. Japanese culture looks down on criminal behavior. Even when looking at their most infamous criminal organization( and perhaps sanctioned), the Yakuza, would probably condemn most of the buffoonery that goes on here" and your average American type criminal wouldn't thrive there. I say all of this and use Japan to then say this: In order to stop police shootings, we have to address the real elephant in the room. American culture. And since people like to bring up the 2nd Amendment, its safe to say that guns have been embedded in the culture. You know, there are things that were also stated in the Constitution that is no longer in use" such as blacks being counted as three-fifths of a human. Maybe its time to at least seriously consider removing guns from almost all fabrics of our society. If someone wants to legally buy a gun, make it so expensive that buying one will want you to question whether it was worth it or not. Not only that, but convince other nearby countries to enforce this as well, since it won't be sufficient enough to enforce this in just America when its not an island. I say all of this, but I'm not sure it would be even capable of setting this law in motion without. A huge uproar. Since we do have the 2nd amendment, it means guns have been in our society a for a very long time. A lot of people do not like change after its been around for so long. Another civil war could occur if such an action would be attempted. I believe the vast majority of countries with semi-gun bans among civilians probably never had guns embedded in their constitution for a long time either, if at all.
We look down on criminal behavior but only when it comes from one side. When from the other we cover and make excuses for it.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:02 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,619,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
And look at all of the liars who ran with the narrative that he "pulled" a gun. He didn't pull his gun. He didn't have a chance to. And he was literally dodging a police cruiser when he was shot. Who knows what he was gonna do with the gun.

A bunch of white posters calling a citizen a "thug" for wanting to defend himself and out of the other side of their mouth talking about all of the crime in said neighborhood. Do you not think this guy had a right to defend himself? Even if illegal?

I could see if he was harming someone, threatening people, etc. etc. but his only crime in the video is an illegal firearm (because it was concealed, not because he didn't have his FOID card) and running from the police. Who didn't have a charge on him at the time.

If its ok for the police to break the law. It's ok for citizens to break the law. Point blank. If they're allowed to break the law to enforce the law then this country has completely lost it. Well. This country has completely lost it.
What do you think he was doing in the second frame?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, we saw in Baltimore that is not always the case. The people had every understandable reason to run. They had NO reason to search him.
And he had no reason to pull his gun. See image above.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:05 AM

11,403 posts, read 4,107,754 times
I've seen the video. The guy resisted multiple times and then clearly looked like he was reaching for a gun. There's a still picture on twitter with the guy's shirt up and he's got a gun on his waist.

There are many videos that make me question if a police shooting was justified. This is not one of them.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
A stop-and-frisk refers to a brief non-intrusive police stop of a suspect. The Fourth Amendment requires that before stopping the suspect, the police must have a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, is being, or is about to be committed by the suspect.

There was no reasonable suspicion he was doing anything illegal. Carrying a gun is not illegal.
Why are you ignoring that the police have every right to ask to see the Carry Permit? And that he did not have one? And that he ran? And that he pulled the gun (I've shown the frame)?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And he had no reason to pull his gun. See image above.
Did Bundy?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why are you ignoring that the police have every right to ask to see the Carry Permit?
I've addressed it many times. You are the one that refuses to address that. They can only ask during an investigation of an illegal activity.

Pull you over for speeding. They can ask and you have to comply. Minding your own business, walking down the street? You can legally tell them to bugger off and they can not grab you and force you to comply.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Did Bundy?
Don't start with the "whataboutism". The alt-right does that all the time. Stick with the topic. Bundy is irrelevant to what happened here, and you know it. Different situation, different state, different laws. In fact, I probably agree with you on Bundy, but start a thread on this, don't divert from these facts that are present here.

Why are you ignoring:
  • He had no license to carry
  • He ran
  • He reached for his gun, clearly, while running
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies