Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
And that's the key point: Some industries will have to move overseas, taking jobs with them, if this tariff continues.

And this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,481,710 times
How Trump’s Trade War Went From just 18 Products to over 10,000 (as of July 11)
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...trade-war.html

Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
The $12 billion bailout for the agri-business corporations is less than a third of original estimates of what it will take to help American businesses ride this out.

"The U.S. Chamber of Commerce on Monday estimated the total price tag could hit $39 billion if Trump compensated the losses across all industries."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.fe85d8652d32

Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,911,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This is my simple version. So Trump puts tariff on imports -- so other nations put tariffs on their imports (our exports), that makes the USA product more expensive. In much the same way Trump is protecting American produced goods -- other countries protect their goods.
You forget the first step, other countries already have tariffs, duties, and import restrictions on US goods like the 10% duty of US autos imported into the EU, 8% in Korea along with quantity restrictions, in China a US company must have a Chinese partner who put all that companies proprietary information at risk, in Canada you have to have a Canadian presence to export there, dairy products, forget it, and I could go on and on.
All I can say it is about time the US did something!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:41 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
You forget the first step, other countries already have tariffs, duties, and import restrictions on US goods like the 10% duty of US autos imported into the EU, 8% in Korea along with quantity restrictions, in China a US company must have a Chinese partner who put all that companies proprietary information at risk, in Canada you have to have a Canadian presence to export there, dairy products, forget it, and I could go on and on.

Exactly, although the short term effects will hurt. It will take years for things to come around. Sadly by then I'm sure we will have someone that isn't so focused on the future of the country and will reverse everything that Trump has done and then we will be in an even bigger mess.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly, although the short term effects will hurt. It will take years for things to come around. Sadly by then I'm sure we will have someone that isn't so focused on the future of the country and will reverse everything that Trump has done and then we will be in an even bigger mess.
Let's hope you are right and wrong at the same time. Hopefully, eventually people will realize the tariffs are helping and hopefully you are wrong about the plan being overturned. By the time he is out of office or the republicans are, maybe this will be a forgotten topic. All will show it was a good move.

When posters like the OP say companies will leave America and take jobs with them I a little confused. Isn't that what they have been saying about the old way. Too many jobs are leaving the country. Too many produces being produced in China. They seem to want it both ways, plus raising the min wage and provideing free college to everyone, free health insurance and God only knows what else.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:07 AM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post

And the US didn't already have tariffs/duties on foreign imports?

I used to work for a company that imported auto parts and the books detailing various US tariffs/duties probably rose to at least 3 1/2'-4' laid on their sides.

They were also comical, I remember coming across a listing for 'bear grease' and there were a few, things like fresh, frozen, previously frozen, etc., all with different rates.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,701,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's hope you are right and wrong at the same time. Hopefully, eventually people will realize the tariffs are helping and hopefully you are wrong about the plan being overturned. By the time he is out of office or the republicans are, maybe this will be a forgotten topic. All will show it was a good move.

When posters like the OP say companies will leave America and take jobs with them I a little confused. Isn't that what they have been saying about the old way. Too many jobs are leaving the country. Too many produces being produced in China. They seem to want it both ways, plus raising the min wage and provideing free college to everyone, free health insurance and God only knows what else.

You are spot on. And yes, I hope I'm wrong. I just don't think so...with the amount of backlash and short sightedness I've seen in our country the past 556 days I think the herd will deny that anything is or has worked.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 07-31-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 08:15 AM

68,343 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You are spot on. And yes, I hope I'm wrong. I just don't think so...with the amount of backlash and short sightedness I've seen in our country the past 556 days I think herd will deny that anything is or has worked.

What is anyone supposed to think when on June 13, 2018 Trump declares N Korea 'no longer a nuclear threat' and ten days later on June 23, 2018 declares N Korea 'an extraordinary and unusual threat' and not that much later tells people 'don't believe what you see and hear'?

Sounds more like a scene from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest than a trustworthy leader.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,094,965 times
Big industries across the board continue to speak out against Donald Trump's tariffs.

https://twitter.com/Iris_Mack/status...18134422216704
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies