Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,964 times

Advertisements

Hello Iowans, I live in Texas, I am a liberal moderate with many conservative traits. Texas has a lot of Hispanics and in the cities lots of liberals. In the country areas it is more conservative. When you read that "Texas has a lot of Hispanics " being so far from here, I bet you will assume I mean illegal Hispanics, I don't, we have tons of legal Hispanics who have been US citizens for many years, I am married to one. We have illegals too, I was just trying to make a point. We are diverse. I am unsure if Iowa is diverse, I assume perhaps wrongly that you aren't.

As I watch the news I am absolutely horrified by the GOP's cart blanche support of the President and I keep hearing Iowa is part of the "fans of Trump".

I see articles like this:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-667171

and this
https://www.mail.com/news/politics/8...8-stage-mmm1-1

and I want to understand.

How can you all be so horribly unethical?

I mean you all go to church right, some of you? Some of you are probably humanist? Are you so "away form others" you just can't see a bigger picture?

How does your voting and your values influence your moral decisions day to day?

Thank you.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Really? Troll much? Have you ever been to Iowa? What do you even base your assumptions on? Sheesh the stuff people come up with.........................
P.S. Research snowbirds and see how many Iowans live in Texas half of the year...............

Old 07-25-2018, 09:00 AM

4,869 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Hello Iowans, I live in Texas, I am a liberal moderate with many conservative traits. Texas has a lot of Hispanics and in the cities lots of liberals. In the country areas it is more conservative. When you read that "Texas has a lot of Hispanics " being so far from here, I bet you will assume I mean illegal Hispanics, I don't, we have tons of legal Hispanics who have been US citizens for many years, I am married to one. We have illegals too, I was just trying to make a point. We are diverse. I am unsure if Iowa is diverse, I assume perhaps wrongly that you aren't.

As I watch the news I am absolutely horrified by the GOP's cart blanche support of the President and I keep hearing Iowa is part of the "fans of Trump".

and this

I mean you all go to church right, some of you? Some of you are probably humanist? Are you so "away form others" you just can't see a bigger picture?

Thank you.

As someone who lives right across the border from Iowa, I'll answer as a person of mostly conservative leanings and a Midwesterner.

The key word in everything to do with immigrants is the word LEGAL. Follow the rules of the country. No stepping in line in front of immigrants who are going through the proper chains towards citizenship. We cannot as a country save the world and maintain a standard of living even close to what we have now. It boggles the mind watching crowds of illegals waving the flags from the country they just fled in pride after it crapped on them. We need people coming to this country who WANT to become Americans. Once here, the Stars and Stripes is what should be coveted. Mexico as a country is turning into a toilet. You want unethical? How about the fact that their immigration laws are tougher than ours, yet they do everything possible to maintain the pipeline of immigrants from South America and Central America straight to OUR borders. Where's Mexico's compassion? How much financial help does Mexico provide these immigrants. (p.s., the answer is nothing).

I do not care about where someone is from as long as they are a citizen of this country. Embracing diversity is a liberal term meant to shame people. Whatever mix of cultures happens in my area should be a matter of individual choice. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone to bring in huge numbers of any particular ethnic group to any established locality in the country. When this happens, we end up with gang issues, crime, and localities with more allegiance to their former pathetic country they fled than to the country that allowed them in. Embrace diversity? No, I embrace ASSIMILATION.

Many of the Hispanics where I'm from work very hard. As a group, they are far more willing to work and not work the "system" to pump freebees like many other ethnic groups. Just get the process going towards citizenship or leave.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
As someone who lives right across the border from Iowa, I'll answer as a person of mostly conservative leanings and a Midwesterner.

The key word in everything to do with immigrants is the word LEGAL. Follow the rules of the country. No stepping in line in front of immigrants who are going through the proper chains towards citizenship. We cannot as a country save the world and maintain a standard of living even close to what we have now. It boggles the mind watching crowds of illegals waving the flags from the country they just fled in pride after it crapped on them. We need people coming to this country who WANT to become Americans. Once here, the Stars and Stripes is what should be coveted. Mexico as a country is turning into a toilet. You want unethical? How about the fact that their immigration laws are tougher than ours, yet they do everything possible to maintain the pipeline of immigrants from South America and Central America straight to OUR borders. Where's Mexico's compassion? How much financial help does Mexico provide these immigrants. (p.s., the answer is nothing).

I do not care about where someone is from as long as they are a citizen of this country. Embracing diversity is a liberal term meant to shame people. Whatever mix of cultures happens in my area should be a matter of individual choice. There is absolutely no benefit to anyone to bring in huge numbers of any particular ethnic group to any established locality in the country. When this happens, we end up with gang issues, crime, and localities with more allegiance to their former pathetic country they fled than to the country that allowed them in. Embrace diversity? No, I embrace ASSIMILATION.

Many of the Hispanics where I'm from work very hard. As a group, they are far more willing to work and not work the "system" to pump freebees like many other ethnic groups. Just get the process going towards citizenship or leave.
Spot on! I'm from Iowa and live just across the MN border from the home place. My GG parents followed the laws of the land and came here in 1914 part of the Germans from Russia migration. My Step moms Parents followed the laws and came from Mexico in the 20's sometime. Do it legally that's all we ask! Become a part of the machine! E pluribus unum is the moto of this great Country! we should embrace it!

Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,255,645 times
It usually takes at least a couple of generations to completely assimilate. Many Hispanics and Asians are completely Americanized out in California since their great-great grandparents immigrated over a century ago.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:03 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,616,048 times
Troll post?

Likewise, I don't have any problems with LEGAL immigrants. I don't go looking for illegals, either, but if they are in my face making trouble (and I'm not going into details on a public forum because it's job-related), I will contact ICE or the FBI.

Look, I don't go to England, Germany, or Romania and demand that they respect my rights as a US citizen. I must be a good guest and follow their laws, or they have every right to detain or deport me.

Same thing in the US.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:28 AM

4,869 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
It usually takes at least a couple of generations to completely assimilate. Many Hispanics and Asians are completely Americanized out in California since their great-great grandparents immigrated over a century ago.

And to these people, welcome. A couple generations ago, these people WANTED to become Americans. Unless you're a Native American, all our ancestors at some point in time immigrated here wanted to WORK for a better life AND to become Americans. I don't see this desire (both the work part and the desire to assimilate as Americans) in a large percentage of the immigrants sneaking in our country now. Thanks to Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Social Services (on a much smaller scale), the ACLU, and the Democratic Party there is now a concerned effort to flood our country with immigrants well trained in the methods to work our system for every tax supported freebee available.

NO other country in the world has given so much to help people of other nations, but it's never enough to these people. At the rate we're getting swamped, it's unsustainable.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:34 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Support for Trump = unethical. Terrific.

This thread belongs in P&OC if it must stay, but deletion would be a much better disposition.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post

and this

Thank you.
This is a nationwide debate, Texas equally supported the election of Trump, and you give us as support a news article that has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Iowa. You do know there is a P&C forum here to voice these grievances, right? I mean you've been in this forum since 2009. NOT COOL!

I encourage the people of this forum to click that red box in the upper right and notify the moderators to have this thread moved to an appropriate forum.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
What's unethical is traveling to a Country illegally just to take advantage of the tax payers and social services. What's more unethical is using religion as a reason to make that ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies