Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM

12,772 posts, read 8,009,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Roflmao at the term “random averages”! I cannot wait to show that to my stats students.

Statistics are not your skill set, you shouldn’t pretend it is. When talking about a measurement that has variability you always want to use a statistical measure that either incorporates standard deviation or smoothed noise. Like average.

But really “random averages” priceless.
You selected two random months, January and June. You took the averages for those two random months, hence random averages, or random data points. Are you also going to show your students how little you understand about financial markets?

You know nothing about my skill set, especially since you are basing it on a few English words that you failed to understand the meanings of.

Your academic stance is completely fine when speaking about some data points, but when judging the performance of a market for the year, you are flat out dead wrong in your approach. The performance for the year is determined by the opening price on day 1 and the closing price on whatever day we are currently at. Period, end of conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 06:09 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,732,562 times
OMG - how many of these "economy is the best ever in history" threads are we going to have.

The BIG one was Dow 25,000 7 months ago. Yeah, it's now.....wow, about 25,000. A 2% rise this year. Meanwhile interest rates are up, gasoline prices are up and health care prices are up....and wages are hardly keeping up with CPI.....

I can't imagine how this is so great. My portfolio is up 2 to 3% this year but was up 10-11% every year for the past 7 (actually more) years......

That's not great. That sux. And, of course, any look at the charts will show a nice even and relatively slow growth over the past 8 years.

But that wouldn't make a good headline, right???

For those who actually deal in facts, here is a 5 year S&P chart. I would like to know where the roar is.
http://www.infomine.com/ChartsAndDat...110660..&dr=5y

By the way, if the economy is "Roaring" do we now have a balanced budget? Are we gonna start paying down the debt with the extra money?

The answer to that question....shows the truth.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:21 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,732,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Everyone I know must not be ordinary then because we are doing better than ever. 2 straight years of bonuses. Record setting housing prices.
Record setting house prices? In what sense? Does that mean, along with higher interest rates, it's harder for the average person to buy the same house?

The basics are so simple. Look at the S&P or DOW over the last 5-7 years. Even-steven (nice slow upwards hill). Look at them historically (somewhere over 10% is very good, about 9% average).

I have invested for 40 years and although I don't have all the results charted, I have made about 11% per year in the past 15 years. Way less this year.

I've seen good economies and I've seen bad ones. I've seen many crashes. What we have now is basically a continuation of what has been going on for the past 8 years....by just about any numbers.

In terms of housing prices, they are back close to what they were at the top of the bubble - now, whether that is good or bad depends on your outlook.....but, certainly, this would not be the case without all those programs that "conservatives" rallied against....until they were for them.

Even then - you have to adjust house prices for inflation and other such things:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DB2KZW7Rs...ealDec2017.PNG

This puts them well below "highs" - but again, some wish for lower RE prices, others for higher.
But no one in their right mind can look at ANY of these charts and say that the Trump admin is not simply a continuation of what was underway.

My take is that it is actually worse than it would be with a decent admin, as Trump has injected a lot of fear and chaos into the mix....which is keeping things from booming. He also is not, as any normal person would do, paying the bills when the hay is coming in (working on balancing the budget). Rather, this new "growth" is partially due to "free money" added to debt and deficit.

Yes, I was 100% against the tax cuts...even if they benefit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies