Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:07 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Not libertarians. We have something called "moral consistency."
Ding!

I copied and pasted my response of "Private business owners can deny service" or something to that effect and went thru 3 or 4 threads and just pasted it yesterday or the day before. Some were denying service to "liberal" groups...others to "conservative" groups (like this thread).

Just because statists have no principles doesn't mean you should be a violent moron too. That's my motto.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:12 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ding!

I copied and pasted my response of "Private business owners can deny service" or something to that effect and went thru 3 or 4 threads and just pasted it yesterday or the day before. Some were denying service to "liberal" groups...others to "conservative" groups (like this thread).

Just because statists have no principles doesn't mean you should be a violent moron too. That's my motto.

Yep. Discrimination is a human right.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:17 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Twitter is a private entity and can do as it pleases. It is good to know about stuff like this so we can take it in to consideration when deciding whether or not to use their product. It is not something the government should seek to stop or regulate however.

All that said, we are certainly free to give our opinions on their practices and policies. The notion that since they are free to do it, the rest of us have no business commenting on it is an incorrect one I think.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:23 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I find Twitter completely obnoxious and avoid it along with most other forms of social media other than C-D, which I'm considering quitting more and more every day. Social media make us all into argumentative jerks, renders what we say meaningless, destroys our ability to empathize with others, makes us into a product for sale to people whose purposes are generally unknown, and creates a self-perpetuating loop of misinformation and anger. It's best avoided, which makes this entire issue moot. Free yourself. Stop using Twitter.
It doesn't make us into jerks, it exposes the jerks.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Twitter is a private entity and can do as it pleases. It is good to know about stuff like this so we can take it in to consideration when deciding whether or not to use their product. It is not something the government should seek to stop or regulate however.

All that said, we are certainly free to give our opinions on their practices and policies. The notion that since they are free to do it, the rest of us have no business commenting on it is an incorrect one I think.
There is a "Shopping and Consumer Products" forum for that.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It doesn't make us into jerks, it exposes the jerks.
Well then, all of us must be jerks.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:46 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
There is a "Shopping and Consumer Products" forum for that.
City Data is a private forum. If they choose to let us discuss it in this sub forum, consistency demands you have no business commenting on it.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Not libertarians. We have something called "moral consistency."
Quote:
Ding!

Libertarians arent morally consistent, you pick where to draw the line just like everyone else because it isnt possible to be an absolutist on every issue. Some things will eventually clash.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Gawker publicly outed people as gay against their will and published a celebrity sex tape without the participants' consent.

Twitter is free. So is C-D. No one is having their rights violated from being prevented from posting on a privately-owned website.
Is that all you got?

Twitter has "outed" many a person.....for many a thing against their will...every day....

Gawker was free to use.....

Whether nasty bloggers (Gawker) getting paid for page views or tweeters making fame (which translates to money or power or other things) by being "bad", the same behavior....no, WORSE, is being shown.

At least at Gawker you have some semblance of editorial control....much less at Twitter. And, of course, Gawker didn't have right wing bots and fake accounts posting their vids, so they have a chain of responsibility....

Gawker did make the tape - as you know. They also didn't publish is (they published a short trailer of it)....most of their views were of the article, not of the tape.

Anyway, it seems we agree on this....."no one is having their rights violated by being censored, banned, removed, disciplined or outed (by management) on a private site" - we could even go past that and say that the TOC applies...

Anyway, I actually do cheer the Gawker shutdown...so I'm on Peters side. I believe in a Civil Society and that the 1st Amendment is mostly geared toward political speech in the marketplace of ideas. It is not a license to take society down to its lowest level.

So there you go. I told you I was libertarian. Heck, I did drugs before they made up the word.....and thought they should be legal....50 years ago. I spent 3 years living in a tent in the woods (commune) because we wanted to...I marched in DC at the biggest events in history - the Vietnam War demonstrations of the early 1970's. Power to the People.

Where I might differ from some libertarians is having an idea of what is doable and what is not. That is, the World as it Is. You can't go partway....unless you are Peter and has one small goal and billions of dollars.

That somewhat eliminates most of us.

It's an interesting thing that we are having discussions about corporate freedoms. At the same time people are still being locked up for smoking dope.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:21 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Libertarians arent morally consistent, you pick where to draw the line just like everyone else because it isnt possible to be an absolutist on every issue. Some things will eventually clash.
You don't know many ancaps, apparently.

Most of us are absolutely absolutists on every issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies