Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times

Advertisements

I watched the video, but the news report put the father and son at fault. However, I came across the uncut video on YouTube. The victim was making threats and overstepping his boundary. What you think?

https://ktxs.com/news/abilene/caught...bor-over-trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:08 PM

24,439 posts, read 23,103,140 times
First degree murder might be a stretch except for possibly the son who didn't appear to be threatened. Manslaughter or third degree murder for both, easily. Idiots collide with tragedy where normal people avoid trouble completely.
Unless either one of the two fatsos was a cop, then they could quite possibly get away with it.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,689,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
First degree murder might be a stretch except for possibly the son who didn't appear to be threatened. Manslaughter or third degree murder for both, easily. Idiots collide with tragedy where normal people avoid trouble completely.
Unless either one of the two fatsos was a cop, then they could quite possibly get away with it.
Did you watch the full video?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,363,611 times
Trailer trash drama turns deadly.

Love the guy with the gauge sporting hair bra.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times
There is absolutely nothing in the video that justifies the bare-bellied gunslingers' actions. Murder or manslaughter. I don't have the ability to determine which is appropriate but they certainly deserve to be in jail.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:38 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
CCW/ex-LEO here - and if I was the DA, I'd start with murder (Texas has no second degree murder, they just call anything "not 1st degree" as murder) and offer to let them cop a plea to voluntary manslaughter.

Neither was in fear for their life, both had allowed the victim to be within each of their 7 yard "immediate threat" zones and were having a conversation with their "threat", and while they may not have had prior intent/deliberation/premeditation that ratchets it up to 1st degree murder, they did voluntarily kill the guy. So I offer "murder" if it goes to trial, or voluntary manslaughter and a kind word to the judge about their cooperation if they plea down to voluntary manslaughter.

But for sure, it was not self-defense. It fails at least 3 rules of self-defense used in any of the 50 states. It's two dudes tired of shooting paper targets and wanting to feel like badasses prolonging a confrontation until they figured they had just cause to kill someone. The shotgun guy in the background, both holding his weapon in such a relaxed pose and smiling the entire time clearly fails any relevant "was scared for his life against immediate and capable threat" qualification.

EDIT - also, notice in the video, at one point you'll see both assailants take steps TOWARD the victim. Cannot claim self-defense when you intentionally closed distance TOWARD the person you are trying to claim made you fear for your life.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,246,733 times
You have the right to scream and bad mouth other people.

You don't have the right to shoot someone for badmouthing you.

This is another case of responsible gun owners killing unarmed people.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,282,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I watched the video, but the news report put the father and son at fault. However, I came across the uncut video on YouTube. The victim was making threats and overstepping his boundary. What you think?

Not self-defense.

Lots of bluster but no real threat. We entered with the guy holding his pistol, that's the first incident, son/Other Guy has a shotgun, PGO and sawn off, that's an NFA item or illegal possession (and that automatically voids SD claims, SD is only a possible claim when you're not violating a law). Seemingly it's a public easement so not on the guys property, and you shoot to stop a threat and there was zero threat after the first shot, the guy wasn't even armed (that I saw).

I'd reckon 2nd degree murder is the likely outcome, especially for Bubba with the PGO, probably the older guy too.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Can you link the uncut video?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:57 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is another case of responsible gun owners killing unarmed people.
Nope. This is another case of IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners killing an unarmed person.

No properly responsible gun owner in the country would have shot that guy in those circumstances. He presented no credible threat whatsoever, and responsible gun owners know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies