Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I watched the video, but the news report put the father and son at fault. However, I came across the uncut video on YouTube. The victim was making threats and overstepping his boundary. What you think?

https://ktxs.com/news/abilene/caught...bor-over-trash
Manslaugter or 2nd or 3rd degree murder. They were not being attacked, so they were not defending their lives. It was completely unnecessary.

But its Texas, so you never know. Maybe in TX is it justifiable to kill someone for yelling at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 05:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
They were able to walk away safely prior to the shooting.

The father should get manslaughter the son should be charged with capital murder.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
What's wrong with people?

Jeez I'm about the biggest 2nd Amendment supporter there is, but this ain't SD.

If someone says they're going to kill you and goes to get a bat, don't hang around to see if they do. Is that hard to understand? If they come after you, onto your property, swinging it and still threatening you got a case of SD, but not if you hang around.

Self defense, has emphasis on defense. It's not defense if you contrive a situation that permits you to kill someone. Neither party had to be there, neither party was prevented from leaving, both parties wound up in a d**k measuring contest and one was killed, for zero reason, it wasn't defensive, because there wasn't an imminent threat that needed the use of lethal force, any threat had to develop while the threatened hung around pulling their pud.

Further if anyone had the justification for escalation of force it was the dead guy. He was dealing (badly) with two guys who were openly handling their firearms, if they did that in front of cops they'd be put down, and there wouldn't be any serious IAD issues. Regardless of the events leading to that situation, dead guy has a clear and imminent threat of death or serious injury without anyone saying a word. So he threw a bat after he was shot, where's his continued threat? Did he have a bandolier of them? Or just the one?

Christ, people need to take a chill pill and stop sweating the small stuff.
All those time he said I'm going to kill you where was the bat? He gets shot and it magically appears?

Since it's not on camera I'm going to guess he went picked it up and came back towards them.

Yes take a chill pill and walk away and you won't get shot.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:21 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
PGO'S violate OAL restrictions on shotguns without a 24" or so bbl.

A shotgun has to be minimum 26" overall length and a minimum 18" barrel length. If it's not either it's an SBS and title 2 and NFA.
Mossberg 590® Shockwave | O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

I have one. No NFA tax stamp.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would argue with an idiot let alone two idiots brandishing guns.
Me either!!

Old 09-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
What's wrong with people?

Jeez I'm about the biggest 2nd Amendment supporter there is, but this ain't SD.

If someone says they're going to kill you and goes to get a bat, don't hang around to see if they do. Is that hard to understand? If they come after you, onto your property, swinging it and still threatening you got a case of SD, but not if you hang around.

Self defense, has emphasis on defense. It's not defense if you contrive a situation that permits you to kill someone. Neither party had to be there, neither party was prevented from leaving, both parties wound up in a d**k measuring contest and one was killed, for zero reason, it wasn't defensive, because there wasn't an imminent threat that needed the use of lethal force, any threat had to develop while the threatened hung around pulling their pud.
Literally!

Quote:
Further if anyone had the justification for escalation of force it was the dead guy. He was dealing (badly) with two guys who were openly handling their firearms, if they did that in front of cops they'd be put down, and there wouldn't be any serious IAD issues. Regardless of the events leading to that situation, dead guy has a clear and imminent threat of death or serious injury without anyone saying a word. So he threw a bat after he was shot, where's his continued threat? Did he have a bandolier of them? Or just the one?

Christ, people need to take a chill pill and stop sweating the small stuff.
I'm convinced there was more to this than what the wife filmed...
You bring up the fact those 2 are openly handling/brandished firearms.
I think something more happened prior to the event that caused them to retrieve firearms.
There has to be more to this to make Wyatt Burp and Fat Masterson to come out armed.

He threw the bat before he was shot. Slow the footage down you'll see the father get hit and that's when you hear You're Dead.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:35 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
You read the ATF report it's very vague and "subject to changes this finding may not apply". Don't know how well it would hold up in a lawsuit.

Serbu Super Shorty was a PGO SBS and NFA.

That said the PGO in the vid probably isn't a Mossy Shockwave.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
To me this is self defense. I don't see it any other way. They brandished their weapons, told the deranged man they'd shoot him if he came near them and the deranged man gestured he'd go get a gun (BB gun), shoot them, threw a bat, and kept invading their personal space. IMO, they're not required to leave their ground, afterall that what's SYG is all about and Texas has SYG.

I don't know if some other video exists but if I was on the jury I'd be very curious what happened before the firearms were pulled. If the firearms were pulled wantonly, which escalated the situation to where it came necessary to use self defense, I'd think some charge would be appropriate related to brandishing etc. But even a charge of manslaughter I cannot conscious from what I saw in that video.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
You read the ATF report it's very vague and "subject to changes this finding may not apply". Don't know how well it would hold up in a lawsuit.

Serbu Super Shorty was a PGO SBS and NFA.

That said the PGO in the vid probably isn't a Mossy Shockwave.
Yeah
Could be a https://www.remington.com/other-prod...del-870-tac-14

Old 09-21-2018, 08:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
I guess this is conjecture but if the deranged man was Black I wonder if more posters would say this was self defense. I was quite surprised by how many people are now pushing for murder-manslaughter charges. Yes, the usual suspects who don't believe in self defense are here but there are others I'd never imagine coming in and saying this deserves a murder or manslaughter charge.

Lack of empathy or sympathy for people of other races - is it learned or ingrained? Kind of like how Americans seem to have no empathy or sympathy for the victims of their bombings and geopolitical positioning efforts ('collateral damage').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies