Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 09:05 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As far as I can tell, there are not even the most tenuous connections between Manafort and Russia. His trial next month accuses him of representing Ukraine without registering as a foreign representative, as require by law. He almost surely will be convicted of that, but if you have even the most basic understanding of geography, you will know that Russia and Ukraine are not the same thing.

Cohen has already been interviewed by Mueller, as this case started off with Mueller, in an attempt to try to bully Cohen into either confessing or manufacturing some sort of charge against Trump. To this day, there is literally nothing. If there was, it would have been leaked and the the leftist media would have broadcast it 24-7 for weeks on end. Instead, we have stories about Stormy Daniels, which has nothing to do with him supposedly conspiring with the Russians to steal the 2016 presidential election from the eventual loser of that election, Mrs. Bill Clinton.

Nothing. Literally nothing. That is what there is to support these baseless assertions.
Go back and take a look at who he represented in Ukraine, and why. Ukraine is 20% Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
You type so confidently, and yet I'm sure you'd be willing to admit that you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what Bob Mueller knows.

Hech, you started your entire post off with "as far as I can tell...." Thankfully, Special Counsel Bob Mueller's team is rock solid and there hasn't been a single leak from his team in over a year. Nobody knows what information, evidence, and testimony he may or may not have.

So when you say "literally nothing to support these baseless assertions," that's simply your opinion.
Empty, entirely baseless speculation on your part and not one other thing.

If you have something to support these baseless assertions, present it. You will be literally the first to do so. Until you present a basis for these so-far baseless claims, they will continue to be baseless. Your feverish hopes and desires that maybe Mueller will come up with something does not constitute an actual basis for any of this.

There have been many leaks from the Mueller investigation, and you have no knowledge of any basis for the claims you supporting. But that is apparently the life of the constantly lying left.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Go back and take a look at who he represented in Ukraine, and why. Ukraine is 20% Russians.
We have a percentage of this country that is of Russian heritage as well. Does that make the USA the same thing as Russia?

Answer: Only to the clinically insane.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Technically it did get thrown out. 10 of the 18 counts resulted in a mistrial.
I was waiting for that one. "10 -8, we won!"

Incidentally, a mistrial means the prosecution gets another go, if they wish.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:18 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We have a percentage of this country that is of Russian heritage as well. Does that make the USA the same thing as Russia?

Answer: Only to the clinically insane.
Well, that was Russia's justification for invading the Ukraine and taking Crimea. That it had Russians in it.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:20 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
He'll likely be in federal prison long before that. Trump is toast.

Pence will give a pardon to Trump if he can't serve out his term for any reason.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Pence will give a pardon to Trump if he can't serve out his term for any reason.
Pence is likely to be banging Stormy himself before he'd give out that pardon.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
That was on the first 5 minutes of Hannity tonight.
Fun fact: Hannity is a client of Cohen's. Wonder what sort of records the FBI found when they searched Cohen's office?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Sentencing for Mr. Manafort is set for December.

This morning, Mr. Manafort's attorney had nothing but words of praise for the presiding judge and the jury, stating that Mr. Manafort wished to think the judge for presiding over a fair trial.
He said that yesterday----after the court closed...

Now, why would said attorney speak so? He did note that he was considering 'all options', which I presume includes appealing the verdicts. Yet is was a remarkably honeyed statement.
This was code to Trump--"all options" meaning to me will I get a pardon or commutation if I stay silent....
likely IMO Manafort is more afraid of Putin's wrath than 23 hours a day in a Federal prison with access to TV and visits from his family who are still alive

However, as I said before, Mr. Manafort can still 'flip'. True, I initially thought that he would flip after seeing how strong the case was against him (meaning, after the state rested). Obviously, he did not.

Regardless, he has yet another criminal trial scheduled for next month (they could have been combined, but Mr. Manafort chose to have two trials). The reports state that the evidence available for the next trial exceeds 1000 exhibits. I believe the potential sentences for these second set of charges are much more serious than this first set.

Differet judge-not the interfering Ellis--so this evidence trail is likely to be allowed more exposure and time for jury assimilation during presentation...meaning strong chance of conviction on more counts...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/1034142002/

Hence, I will now move the goalpost, and predict that Mr. Manafort will 'flip' in the next several weeks. If he does, he can negotiate a lower sentence for the 8 counts he was just found guilty of, as well as take care of the numerous counts in the next trial. He would still spend some time in prison, but he would have a chance of being released in a few years.

Of course, he may 'stay the course'. Mr. Cohen had bragged that he would 'take a bullet' for Mr. Trump, but he obviously reconsidered his loyalty. Mr. Manafort does strike me as being made of sterner stuff (which, dealing with various Russian gangsters, he would need). He may be willing to go to prison rather than 'rat out' on others, including Russians and Mr. Trump.
I don't think any of us understand the forces Manafort is being pulled apart by---
Anyone know the myth of Prometheus--the Titan in Greek myth who stole fire from the gods and gave it to Man? Zeus was so angered by Prometheus's intransigence that he had him bound to a rock where a vulture (or eagle depending on the version) ate his liver daily and yet it miraculously was regenerated overnight only to undergo the agony the next day...
This is Paul Manafort's situation---Certainly Manafort wasn't "bringing fire to Man"--he was involved in trickery though and he could certainly be offending some of the most powerful people on the planet--for Zeus, think Putin...
For those who appreciate some Classical allusions...

A might lesson we inherit:
Thou are a symbol and a sign
To Mortals of their fate and force;
Like Thee, Man is in part divine,
A troubled stream from a pure source;
And Man in portions can forsee
His own funereal destiny;
His wretchedness, and his resistance,
And his sad unallied existence...

Lord Byron Prometheus

And this...

I must bear
What is ordained with patience, being aware
Necessity doth front the Universe
With an invincible gesture.

Aeschylus in Prometheus Bound

Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Fun fact: Hannity is a client of Cohen's. Wonder what sort of records the FBI found when they searched Cohen's office?
It would make my day if they found some dirt on Hannity. See that lying little scumbag in a cell next to Paulie "the Ostrich".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies