Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:20 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

No one, to my knowledge, is claiming China is benefiting from the tariffs. Everyone agrees China is a bad actor, uses unfair tariffs, unfair trade practices & steals intellectual property as a matter of normal business.

Everyone, to my knowledge agrees, we will win a trade war and come out far better off for it in the long run.

The argument is that the tariffs will hurt American workers in the short term, before things get markedly better.

Everyone loves a rainbow, but no one wants to endure the storm that comes before it.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
No one, to my knowledge, is claiming China is benefiting from the tariffs. Everyone agrees China is a bad actor, uses unfair tariffs, unfair trade practices & steals intellectual property as a matter of normal business.

Everyone, to my knowledge agrees, we will win a trade war and come out far better off for it in the long run.

The argument is that the tariffs will hurt American workers in the short term, before things get markedly better.

Everyone loves a rainbow, but no one wants to endure the storm that comes before it.
I certainly don't agree with some of the above.

China will win this in the long run. Just the fact that this thread exists - that people are such short-term thinkers that they can't get their heads around the decades-long consequences - bodes well for China.

They are planning for decades.
Our POTUS tweets from the John during his morning constitution.

Which is going to "win"? I wonder.

Would you fly in an airliner designed by Donald Trump? Or would you prefer to fly in one designed by the Engineers and Scientists that run the Chinese government? It would seem to have an easy answer...but some just can't see it.

We are proving to be an unreliable trade partner...to many other countries around the world. They are going to put their faith in China in the future. This was happening anyway, but it will accelerate.

By most any metric, the US is floundering or headed downhill. Chaos simply doesn't beat a plan.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:01 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
China will be crawling back looking for a deal within a month.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:58 AM

1,087 posts, read 782,692 times
China runs a big trade surplus against every country on Earth, talking about “winner”. Tariff is not a winning thing because its self abuse. Soybean producers wanted tariff through Trump, and ended up paying dearly.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'll be looking for that deal on September 15th.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Go study Chinese history. They were forced toopen their markets at gunpoint. To opium drug dealers.

They wont budge on this. Those thinking they will do not comprehend their history. Nor do they understand that China has trillions in their piggy bank to deal with this, while the us is going deeper in debt. This is all moronic.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 PM

669 posts, read 321,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I certainly don't agree with some of the above.

China will win this in the long run. Just the fact that this thread exists - that people are such short-term thinkers that they can't get their heads around the decades-long consequences - bodes well for China.

They are planning for decades.
Our POTUS tweets from the John during his morning constitution.

Which is going to "win"? I wonder.

Would you fly in an airliner designed by Donald Trump? Or would you prefer to fly in one designed by the Engineers and Scientists that run the Chinese government? It would seem to have an easy answer...but some just can't see it.

We are proving to be an unreliable trade partner...to many other countries around the world. They are going to put their faith in China in the future. This was happening anyway, but it will accelerate.

By most any metric, the US is floundering or headed downhill. Chaos simply doesn't beat a plan.
Not only that, China's system of incentives will no doubt 'buy off' any high level ranking American Politician or incentivize top business people after Trump is gone. That's how China's been able to get favorable deals all throughout the world. It's their way, has worked wonders and will continue.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
China is hedging it’s bets with the most unstable and unproductive parts of the world because it’s attempts to curry favor in the developed world have fallen flat.

I can promise it won’t end the way they hope it will.
You presuming to understand a country that will not tolerate interference and can prove a point even to the extent of forcing their people doing without driving Buicks while Americans can't live without their cheap crap is akin to the parable of the 'ant and the grasshopper'.

You cannot promise 'bupkus' with any certainty.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
China will crawl when Trump runs the mile under four minutes.

You're in for yet another 'come-to-Jesus' moment in your history. Never learning from stupid mistakes seems endemic in the American DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies