Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 AM

39,177 posts, read 51,480,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Why is everyone obsessed with Chicago today? Shouldn't we be posting about black people?
I'm sure you know the answer but if not, "Chicago" is a dog whistle for the racists. Do you really think the righties give a damn about what is going on in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,188,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sure you know the answer but if not, "Chicago" is a dog whistle for the racists. Do you really think the righties give a damn about what is going on in Chicago?
Yep. WE actually do. But that's really not the point.

The issue is how to bring the lawlessness of a major U.S. city under control. I advocate for putting the National Guard on the streets, stop and frisk, search home of those found to have guns illegally and put them in the countless number of jail cells. But my question was how do we do that....(if anyone cares) to stop the actually killings. You?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:30 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,709,654 times
Quote:
I think people on the right can be concerned about what's going on in Chicago if they live or work there.

I do know what some are getting at with these threads which is why my initial response was what it was. But since Chicago isn't the city with the highest crime rate, why aren't they singling out those top 3 cities instead of Chicago?

It seems like some weird fixation.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,918,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I doubt this is much comfort to those who are murdered during the daylight hours. Some people have jobs that force them to be out and about during the wee hours.
An 11 year old, hanging around with unrelated older teens, outside a house party, at 2:30 AM, in a neighborhood known for gun violence?

He was one of six shot outside the house party. Five of the six were minors. The oldest is 21.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,531,542 times
I read the New York Times article.
Apparently it's the fault of the police that black people are blasting the crap out of each other over drugs.
They should be doing more to stop the violence and not just arresting people afterwards.
As yet no mention of when Black Lives Matter will be demonstrating against the black community's inability to stop its men from killing and being killed by other black men.
The jumped-up Al Sharpton was demonstrating in Florida over the weekend against SYG.More photo ops there than in the 'hoods in Chicago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/us...shootings.html

Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,531,542 times
Quote:
Dunno.
But black people ought to show a little more concern than they appear to being doing particularly as most of those doing the killing/getting killed are black.
No point in trying to shift the blame onto right-wing,white people.They ain't doing to murdering to quite the same degree as the bros.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 AM

20,846 posts, read 17,188,060 times
Right it’s the cops fault. Couldn’t possibly be the black males fault. No way

Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Chicago needs a real leader like Donald Trump or Rudy Giuliani.

Time for the amateurs and incompetents of that city to step aside.
Giuliani?

Violent urban crime was off the charts in mid 80’s- earl 90’s, across the US.

Giuliani has made $ serious millions on the speaker’s circuit talking about what a wonderful job he did. He does not mention that violent crime substantially dropped across the US, despite very different strategies or no particular strategy.

There is no consensus among experts why violent crime substantially declined across the US.

Trump?

In July, 2016 at the Republican National Convention, Trump said:
“ The crime and violence that today affects our nation will soon come to an end. Beginning 1/20/2017 safety will be restored”.

In June, 2017 Trump tweeted he was sending in the Fed to help fight gun violence in Chicago. The Fed help, it turned out, was 20 incremental ATF Officers to help trace interstate gun trafficking.

Would putting a NG on every corner in the 5 most violent districts reduce the violence?
Probably- so long as they are present. The pause that refreshes?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I read the New York Times article.
Apparently it's the fault of the police that black people are blasting the crap out of each other over drugs.
They should be doing more to stop the violence and not just arresting people afterwards.
As yet no mention of when Black Lives Matter will be demonstrating against the black community's inability to stop its men from killing and being killed by other black men.
The jumped-up Al Sharpton was demonstrating in Florida over the weekend against SYG.More photo ops there than in the 'hoods in Chicago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/us...shootings.html
I cannot get behind the paywall most print media has imposed on their material.

There is poverty across the US. Heck not too far from Mar-a-Lago, thousands live in places not intended for human occupation. The economies of multiple counties in Appelachia are dependent on welfare. Opiate/ opioid addiction is an epidemic. The Bay Area is plagued with destitute homeless people. People have lived in the tunnels underneath the strip in Las Vegas for years.

Poverty does not pull a trigger.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 AM

7,477 posts, read 4,042,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Yep. WE actually do. But that's really not the point.

The issue is how to bring the lawlessness of a major U.S. city under control. I advocate for putting the National Guard on the streets, stop and frisk, search home of those found to have guns illegally and put them in the countless number of jail cells. But my question was how do we do that....(if anyone cares) to stop the actually killings. You?
I've been a member of the national guard...……..putting them into Chicago to fight violence is NOT a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies