Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually Gabrini Green was torn down.
True, upscale condos now (more or less).

I think that poster was talking about the general situation and not Cabrini, meaning the problem just migrated to the other rough parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Most cities are that way. You need to know which areas are not safe, and sometimes the difference between good and bad is just a matter of few hundred yards, like Liberty City in Miami.
Yep. Most of the bad places in Chicago are somewhat walled off by train lines and interstates so it's kinda hard to wander into trouble especially for tourists.

The two big exceptions that spring to mind are around the University of Chicago and the occasional people that wander off after a game at the united center thinking they're in Wrigleyville. Couple other more minor ones like going west from Museum of Science and Industry into the parks there or up towards Evanston in places.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM

6,268 posts, read 5,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sure you know the answer but if not, "Chicago" is a dog whistle for the racists. Do you really think the righties give a damn about what is going on in Chicago?
You'd have to be a rock to not care about innocent children, innocent mothers, innocent elderly citizens, who are so impoverished that they are literally surrounded by and trapped by violence and death. I can't imagine what it would be like to keep your children inside and on the floor because you fear that you will lose a child to a stray bullet. I can't imagine the worry that your son would be pulled into that violence, knowing that the only way out for him if he does is death or imprisonment. I wonder which innocent person lying dead on the ground could have contributed extraordinarily to the world and to the country if only he or she had been born into different circumstances. I wonder how a city can find this endless violence acceptable. I wonder how many innocents have to die before something drastic is done. Is it an insolvable problem? Then the city leaders just need to look these innocents in the eye and tell them they can't do anything about the violence and just suck it up, people. If it is solvable, then freakin' solve it.

Yeah. Some of us care. Even some of us righties.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,660,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I go to Chicago a lot for work....really cool city to visit.

The slums is where all the crime is. Its a street war between gangs in impoverished areas. Sadly, until people stop using drugs and the market for it goes away there isn't much to be done. it sucks young kids get caught in the middle of it and its terrible. I dont know how you would stop it.
I'd say that the areas with a lot of gang activity is where most of the killings occur - but it's not accurate to say that's where the crime is.

There are muggings, carjackings, stolen vehicles, vehicles broken into, assaults and other crimes throughout the city. The criminals go where the money and nice things are.

People should feel safe coming to Chicago but as in any city, pay attention and be aware of your surroundings. Too many people mindlessly walk around with their noses buried in their phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies