Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 PM

78,771 posts, read 60,983,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is no doubt the best looking down-town in the nation. Its too bad the hoods are what they are, but it is same in every large city, and Chicago just happens to be a very large city. I remember Gabrini Green, and someone throwing a brick at our car. I guess they thought we were cops. That was in the 1990s, and that housing project is now a distant memory.
Yeah, they've moved the "undesirables" to the other side of the train tracks or freeway. (literally, not joking)

That's just how Chicago rolls.

Most the city is Canada safe while a small number of neighborhoods are more like Tiajuana safe.

Every once in a while the city leadership has to give a crap about the poor brown people living in the chit-holes to keep up appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:21 PM

52,744 posts, read 48,096,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Why aren’t the guns in Chicago keeping everyone safe?
You mean the ones your own party wants to take away from people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Army needs to be deployed to south side Chicago and the southern border. Possibly areas of northern border as well.
I heard this next item thrown around a bit on talk radio, but I think they should build a wall around Chicago. Maybe they should.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:41 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,263,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You mean the ones your own party wants to take away from people?
I heard this next item thrown around a bit on talk radio, but I think they should build a wall around Chicago. Maybe they should.
Only a staunch Trump supporter would talk bout building walls. Where is Ronald Reagan when you can use him ..... he talked about -- BRINGING DOWN A WALL ..... and it did. He also wanted "Enterprise zones" in our inner-cities to get Big Business to build more there.

Seems some don't realize Trump LOVES BIG URBAN CITIES. He mentioned NYC, CHICAGO and LA in a TV interview by Tom Brokaw.... when Trump was a young 33 in 1980. He was very calm and articulate then. Sounded like a Democrat.

He did build his tallest skyscraper in Chicago finally in 2009 in completion. Guess he thought about a Chicago WALL then and now .....

His Trump Tower Condo's and Hotel part
his company owns in CHICAGO. In the center.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:46 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 08:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,407,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, they've moved the "undesirables" to the other side of the train tracks or freeway. (literally, not joking)

That's just how Chicago rolls.

Most the city is Canada safe while a small number of neighborhoods are more like Tiajuana safe.

Every once in a while the city leadership has to give a crap about the poor brown people living in the chit-holes to keep up appearances.
When I lived in Chicago Mayor Jane Byrne moved into Cabrini Green for a brief time to demonstrate her concern. That was almost 40 years ago, and it appears not much has changed.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,263,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
When I lived in Chicago Mayor Jane Byrne moved into Cabrini Green for a brief time to demonstrate her concern. That was almost 40 years ago, and it appears not much has changed.
She was criticized from all sides then. Caring limited but still something to its residents. It still was a FAIL and she did not stay too long. A FAIL like the High-rise choice for the poor where crime still persecuted them in their own prison.

Of course Carbreni-Green is gone. The last of the notorious Project and nay one in downtown Chicago, in the River North today and all the other FAILED High-rise Projects. Very costly for the city . Also removing its worst blight thru the 90s in hoods. Some cities did not remove blight. Not saying all... but a heluvalot.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,468,299 times
I go to Chicago a lot for work....really cool city to visit.

The slums is where all the crime is. Its a street war between gangs in impoverished areas. Sadly, until people stop using drugs and the market for it goes away there isn't much to be done. it sucks young kids get caught in the middle of it and its terrible. I dont know how you would stop it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 PM

20,846 posts, read 17,170,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I go to Chicago a lot for work....really cool city to visit.

The slums is where all the crime is. Its a street war between gangs in impoverished areas. Sadly, until people stop using drugs and the market for it goes away there isn't much to be done. it sucks young kids get caught in the middle of it and its terrible. I dont know how you would stop it.
Bayonets

Old 08-08-2018, 07:23 AM

21,257 posts, read 19,882,424 times
In 1954, a Republican President (Eisenhower) federalized the Arkansas National Guard to enforce integration of Little Rock High School. The Democratic Governor had been using them to enforce segregation.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most cities are that way. You need to know which areas are not safe, and sometimes the difference between good and bad is just a matter of few hundred yards, like Liberty City in Miami.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually Gabrini Green was torn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies