Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Watching "Comics in Cars" and thought this was a good point by Seinfeld (his direct quote). Thought this was especially on point with the current online climate where big tech are in the middle of the "not allowing" phase and showing their own intolerance. Anyone upset or outraged? What happened to the ideology of "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It" that was important enough that the Founding Fathers put it as the #1 Amendment.
A right to say it is not the same thing as being right or an opinion being valid.

Thats the flaw in this argument as well as Facebook having a TOS and the first amendment having nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is, simply put, stupid. It is not the place of a tolerant to allow that which leads to material harm. Only the stupid or intellectually dishonest would make such an argument.
Who determines whether someone’s rhetoric could cause material harm? Dictatorships of all colors of the political spectrum have used this to censor, imprison, or execute their detractors.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Who determines whether someone’s rhetoric could cause material harm? Dictatorships of all colors of the political spectrum have used this to censor, imprison, or execute their detractors.
The world might have been a better place if there had been a good amount of intolerance shown towards Hitler.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
A right to say it is not the same thing as being right or an opinion being valid.

Thats the flaw in this argument as well as Facebook having a TOS and the first amendment having nothing to do with it.
In addition, hateful speech and vitriol can often incite or inspire violence. This does not seem beneficial, but destructive to society.

Where do you draw the line, in order to prevent people from being physically harmed?

Old 08-11-2018, 12:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Watching "Comics in Cars" and thought this was a good point by Seinfeld (his direct quote). Thought this was especially on point with the current online climate where big tech are in the middle of the "not allowing" phase and showing their own intolerance. Anyone upset or outraged? What happened to the ideology of "I Disapprove of What You Say, But I Will Defend to the Death Your Right to Say It" that was important enough that the Founding Fathers put it as the #1 Amendment.
1. Americans are crazy. Anyone who would "defend to the death" the right of some Nazi...or, for that matter, some Antifa or even BLM member to say exactly what they what...when they want...is nutso.
That's a nice talking point but has zero to do with daily life.

2. "What Happened".....well, one thing. People, or at least most people, prefer civilized dialog over the immature shouting of things "because you can".

I hope that helps.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:24 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
You combat speech you don't like with MORE speech.

De-platforming, banning, etc. in the wider social context (universities, venues) is not ILLEGAL, but you're being an enemy of FREE SPEECH if you support such things. Combatting ideas also doesn't mean you, say, go to a lecture hall where a speaker is speaking and use bullhorns and sirens to drown out what that person is saying.

You absolutely have the right to COUNTER a message you don't like. But when you prevent others from hearing speech just because YOU don't like it, then you are violating the rights of OTHERS to hear what THEY might want to hear. And guess what? YOU don't get to make that decision for other people and decide which ideas they get to expose themselves to. Even really really bad ideas. Who the hell do you think you are anyway, that you get to "shut down" speech you don't like, just because you're a "private citizen" and not the government?

Why in this day and age in this country this still needs to be explained.....
Your free speech stops at private property....

Old 08-11-2018, 12:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The world might have been a better place if there had been a good amount of intolerance shown towards Hitler.
Ironically, many on the left today use or support similar tactics to those used by the Nazis to silence their opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In addition, hateful speech and vitriol can often incite or inspire violence. This does not seem beneficial, but destructive to society.

Where do you draw the line, in order to prevent people from being physically harmed?
I draw the line at my physical person. Until I am actually physically harmed you can say or do as you please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
1. Americans are crazy. Anyone who would "defend to the death" the right of some Nazi...or, for that matter, some Antifa or even BLM member to say exactly what they what...when they want...is nutso.
That's a nice talking point but has zero to do with daily life.
Perfect example. I think what you said here is stupid and wrong but I would never support any infringement of your right to say it.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is, simply put, stupid. It is not the place of a tolerant to allow that which leads to material harm. Only the stupid or intellectually dishonest would make such an argument.
So BLM, Antifa, the DNC, the RNC, the SPLC and a whole lot of others should be banned, sanctioned and shut down? They all cause significant harm after all.

Anything anyone says can be found to be harmful, so by your logic, everyone should be banned from speaking, posting or interacting with everyone else. Sound about right?

Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Where does pulling a fire alarm to completely shut down a lecture you don't like?

You aren't protesting the lecture. You are shutting it down and not allowing it to proceed for the people that want to be there.

Could you imagine if this tactic was used at women's rights, pro abortion or LGBT lectures? How quickly would pulling a fire alarm be a felony that is IMMEDIATELY prosecuted. Antifa does it all the time ... and meh. ... perfectly acceptable.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:39 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That is not at all what 1A says.

1A: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Congress can violate 1A. Individuals cannot, nor can businesses or corporations. 1A gives you the right to say what you want without government interference. It does not give you the right to be heard or tolerated.

In short, you have the right to speak freely, and I have an equal right to shout you down. You can say what you want, but you own it, and whatever consequences it generates.

I personally will not give a platform to any sort of white supremacist, be they klan or nazi neoconfederate or garden variety bigot, and I tend to speak up loudly.
Of course you're right, the 1A doesn't include the quote...which is: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death you're right to say it".

I'm guessing the person you are replying to is loosely thinking 'founding father' so, in grievous (IMO) error, he inserted the quote into the 1A.

I imagine that loose thinking comes from that quote having been misattributed to Patrick Henry (perhaps because those doing that misattributing are confusing it with Henry's 'Liberty or Death' speech).

Quote:
Your quote about "defending your right" is from Voltaire, BTW - a Frenchman.
Actually, you are wrong as well.

The quote is not from Voltaire. It addition to the quote being misattributed to Henry, it has also been misattributed to Voltaire.

The quote was written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall in her book "The Friends of Voltaire" (written over 125 years after Voltaire died) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs.

https://www.themarysue.com/voltaire-...e-evelyn-hall/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Beatrice_Hall

Patrick Henry's take on American values - News - Gainesville Sun - Gainesville, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies