Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:30 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Many of you are unaware of how much Turkey has changed...you really underplay it. Do a search on Turkey secularism and you will find thousands and thousands of articles of how Turkey has been shifting from secularism to Sharia.
I spent time in Turkey before this so-called shift. My understanding of things is based on firsthand accounts and travel. I saw plenty of women in hijab while in Istanbul some years ago, and even more (or a higher percentage) when traveling throughout the countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Have you been to Turkey? Many in Turkey didn't and don't cover their hair. But many did and still continue to do so.

As for Turkey embracing Islamism, I say good for them. So long as they don't engage in Islamist extremism and start funding terrorism.
Unfortunately, that's how it starts. Those who wear the hijab will shortly demand that all do it because it's God's will. You fight that and you are an infidel. And we know what happens to infidels.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Anyone who is wishing that Turkey's population goes through hardship is sick-minded and evil.
So you're not for sanctions either I take it.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Have you been to Turkey? Many in Turkey didn't and don't cover their hair. But many did and still continue to do so.

As for Turkey embracing Islamism, I say good for them. So long as they don't engage in Islamist extremism and start funding terrorism.
I haven’t been to Turkey, but I have seen Midnight Express, the movie so I have no desire to visit.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So you're not for sanctions either I take it.
Actually, I'm not for people who wish suffering on entire populations.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I vacationed in Turkey in the 90's. Lovely country and people based on my experiences. No shortage of women in hijab scarves. The further the distance from Istanbul, the more conservative the population gets.

This year, tourism is exploding in Turkey as Europeans, especially the Brits, fly in for affordable be beach holidays.

The central bank's of countries, including the US, operate independent of government. This is no longer the case in Turkey. Erdogan put his son in law in charge of economic policy. Erdogan wants low interest rates while the most common method of fighting inflation is to increase rates.

Historically, the US has moderated when emerging economies get in trouble. This time, the US doubled tariffs on steel imports from Turkey.

I cannot imagine taking delight when people suffer.
Tourism is up only compared to the previous year when tourism was way down after the coup attempt and violence at the airport in Istanbul....they are still below the numbers they were seeing before the unrest. But yes, it's a bargain to go there now if you bring dollars, pounds, Euros, and particularly Rubles as they have far more Russian tourists than anything else.

I'm working in a neighboring country, Azerbaijan, and would seriously consider vacationing in Turkey but not with their current anti-America rhetoric coming from the top.

As far as moderate Muslim countries go, Azerbaijan definitely qualifies and allows freedom of worship regardless of religion and women feel free to dress how they choose.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:02 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Same mental thought that poisons all Americans. You all believe the suffering of your enemy is a moral good.

What sick twisted people.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
We need Turkey and they need us, this isn’t good news.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,695 times
Turkey should recognize the Armenian/Assyrian/Pontac Greek Genocide. They elected a moron Islamic militant president who is basically ISIS supporter and anti-Westerner.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I'm not for people who wish suffering on entire populations.
By this measure, you must also be against the decade-long sanctions against South Africa too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies