Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odium14 View Post
Official that I can find is 8% which is better than Romney....I believe the NAACP poll that says 36% approve of Trump now...he doesn't even need that much...he can get 12-15% and win reelection
Which NAACP poll is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM

391 posts, read 158,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Which NAACP poll is that?
http://americasvoice.org/wp-content/...vorability.png

Sorry it wasn't 36% it was 21%.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM

391 posts, read 158,971 times
A Rasmussen poll has him at 36%....but jesus even at 21% that's shocking.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post

Of course you don't.
I wasn't trying to include any statistics. My statement was not meant to include a specific amount of people. I figured when I said "some", you would assume I meant NOT THE MAJORITY. Do I have to spell it out?

Quote:
Crazy is the belief/assertion that any significant number of people or anyone in any position of power seeks to place African Americans back in slavery or desires a return of Jim Crow.
Of course you would think I'm crazy. I expect that from you. I don't think I'm crazy. As I said before, I'm not talking about the majority. I am saying that there are still people who think in the Jim Crow mindset. When Jim Crow ended, it ended by force. It ended with people kicking and screaming. There are some persons who passed down their bigoted believes to those in the next generation. There are some people who want to see the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act ended. I certainly don't want to see that happen.

Quote:
Of course you have...
I suspect this is a sarcastic remark on your part.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Of course you would think I'm crazy. I expect that from you. I don't think I'm crazy. As I said before, I'm not talking about the majority. I am saying that there are still people who think in the Jim Crow mindset. When Jim Crow ended, it ended by force. It ended with people kicking and screaming. There are some persons who passed down their bigoted believes to those in the next generation. There are some people who want to see the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act ended. I certainly don't want to see that happen.
Oh, hell, a lot of those people who were kicking and screaming against it at the time are still alive themselves...and voting.

And some still in public office.

This ain't "ancient history."

It's barely even "history." It's still memory for a lot of people.

I remember the 50s myself. Mitch McConnell is old enough to remember the 50s very well, and was probably never even been "threatened" with being in an integrated venue (school, restaurant, swimming pool movie theater) until he was an adult.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Oh, hell, a lot of those people who were kicking and screaming against it at the time are still alive themselves...and voting.

And some still in public office.

This ain't "ancient history."

It's barely even "history." It's still memory for a lot of people.

I remember the 50s myself.
This is true. In Georgia where I live, we have someone running for governor who got mired in voting rights controversies. Look up Brian Kemp. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/11/o...democracy.html

Kemp, born in 1963, has been recorded saying this: “Democrats are working hard registering all these minority voters that are out there and others that are sitting on the sidelines. If they can do that, they can win these elections in November.â€

Brian Kemp has tried his hand at voter suppression. Kemp is currently the Secretary of State in Georgia, which also oversees voting records. His office cancelled about 1.4 million voter registrations between 2012 and 2018, despite lack of evidence of voter fraud. He also removed about 500,000 voters from the rolls because they had not voted in the last two elections. If some of those persons were dead or had left the state, that is one thing. However, if they were living in the state, that is a big problem.

This stuff is not ancient history. I'm seeing an attempt at it where I live.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odium14 View Post
I did some checking. A sample size of 2,045 people was used. 2,045 registered voters from 61 districts. 400 from each ethnic group. The age of the voters was never disclosed. The respondents of said poll tend to come from non-urban counties. Many of those counties do not have large minority populations.

In short, the poll is not that good of a poll. Methodology is rather skewed. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/8b2f7...752d924797.pdf

Old 10-22-2018, 02:43 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
I know a Haitian American man who has been a fan of Trump all along and also voted for him. He was not impressed with Obama's eight years, and liked that Trump speaks his mind and actually does what he says that he's going to do. I think that Trump appeals to this man's macho culture. I think that he felt Obama was a weak person.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know a Haitian American man who has been a fan of Trump all along and also voted for him. He was not impressed with Obama's eight years, and liked that Trump speaks his mind and actually does what he says that he's going to do. I think that Trump appeals to this man's macho culture. I think that he felt Obama was a weak person.
Well, ask that man this question. How does he feel about Trump referring to Haiti and other Caribbean/Central American countries as "crap holes"?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:07 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, ask that man this question. How does he feel about Trump referring to Haiti and other Caribbean/Central American countries as "crap holes"?
I already did. And yes, he agrees that Haiti is a mess that he was happy to leave behind. And since most of Haiti is without indoor plumbing, well then yes, Haiti is a crap hole.

Calling countries like Haiti a crap hole is just being honest. They are countries that are highly undesirable to live in and the living conditions are truly awful. And this is why those with a temporary refugee status never want to return to live on that island ever again.

Would you want to move to Haiti?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies