Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 08:38 AM

2,924 posts, read 2,000,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think it wonderful that Sen. John McCain is being honored in such a way. The ceremony is truly beautiful, seeing the Honor Guard always impresses me (Visit the Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for an awe inspiring experience, performed multiple times a day, 365 days a year) and seeing all the dignitaries from both sides of the aisle is a wonderful sight, it truly is. What an impressive display.

McCain was a bitter man, thanks to losing in the primaries in 2000 to G.W. and losing in 2008. To some degree I'm sure he blamed the voters who disagreed with him on how to handle illegal immigrants. I once saw him look up at the camera on the Senate floor and angrily call Americans bigots for wanting illegals deported. He obviously didn't care about the damage being done to communities or protecting our citizens.

Last night I watched a documentary on HBO about McCain called "For Whom The Bell Tolls". Towards the end he was giving a speech somewhere and once again had to bash "nationalists" and I believe he said isolationists as well. While watching it I wanted to like the guy as a politician, hoping maybe there was something from his earliest days as a Senator I could like about him, but there was very little, outside of campaign finance reform. Ironically, that's exactly what we need today yet he and the rest of the Senators have been silent on the issue as far as I know.

Having said all of that McCain did serve his country during a time of war and became a prisoner of war. For that he deserves our respect. As a Senator, not so much in my book.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-01-2018 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,491,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think it wonderful that Sen. John McCain is being honored in such a way. The ceremony is truly beautiful, seeing the Honor Guard always impresses me (Visit the Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetery at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for an awe inspiring experience, performed multiple times a day, 365 days a year) and seeing all the dignitaries from both sides of the aisle is a wonderful sight, it truly is. What an impressive display.

Moderator cut: trolling
Well said! ... all of it.

Better days ahead ...

Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,573,080 times
^ I truly do understand why many people were not fans of McCain. I'm speaking strictly from a political perspective. I didn't find the man to be a particularly erudite politician by any stretch of the definition, and many of his views, especially on foreign intervention, I strictly opposed.

In regards to the memorial service, his daughter Meghan gave a very long winded speech that she blubbered through, choking back tears the entire length of the speech, and never once did I see a tear roll down her cheek. Not a one. Just an observation.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
While watching the church service for McCain this morning I was saddened that politics and hate couldn't be left out of such a place. Meghan just couldn't let it be, just couldn't leave her political/personal issues at the freaking door of the church and just had to take her moment, a moment that could've been a tribute to her father using what he did in fact try and teach everyone which is to be decent.

No, she had to take her shots at the President in a place where that SHOULD be left outside, where forgiveness and grace are taught, something her dad tried to champion. I hope it makes HER feel better, sadly, it makes her look bitter, small and petty.

I expected better from her.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:54 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,340,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While watching the church service for McCain this morning I was saddened that politics and hate couldn't be left out of such a place. Meghan just couldn't let it be, just couldn't leave her political/personal issues at the freaking door of the church and just had to take her moment, a moment that could've been a tribute to her father using what he did in fact try and teach everyone which is to be decent.

No, she had to take her shots at the President in a place where that SHOULD be left outside, where forgiveness and grace are taught, something her dad tried to champion. I hope it makes HER feel better, sadly, it makes her look bitter, small and petty.

No he didn't.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No he didn't.
I didn't say he was always successful or anything other than "he tried" because he did try to show grace and forgiveness. He showed it several times when campaigning against Obama, he showed it when he went back to Vietnam, he showed it several times when people spoke ill of others, people who were his adversaries and even spoke ill of him.

Was he perfect? No, certainly not and I was no fan of his.
I do believe though that he'd not have taken political cheap shots from a pulpit at a freaking funeral.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:09 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,340,436 times
Quote:
I didn't say he was always successful or anything other than "he tried" because he did try to show grace and forgiveness. He showed it several times when campaigning against Obama, he showed it when he went back to Vietnam, he showed it several times when people spoke ill of others, people who were his adversaries and even spoke ill of him.

Was he perfect? No, certainly not and I was no fan of his.
I do believe though that he'd not have taken political cheap shots from a pulpit at a freaking funeral.
I disagree. He did it at his own death.

In Washington, even death is political -- a fact McCain well understood as a sought-after eulogizer himself, and by planning his funeral rites to exclude the President, he will be making an unmistakable posthumous statement directed at the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/polit...ump/index.html

Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,880,365 times
Quote:

I disagree. This is a funeral for her father and she has the right to talk about her father any way she wants. Her father was a politician. If some are offended by what Meghan said, perhaps you should ask yourself why, instead of shutting down conversation and the truth by constantly saying, "it is not the time."

Old 09-01-2018, 09:13 AM

8,381 posts, read 6,481,031 times
Default Have you had enough of McCain yet

Good grief, a whole week of nothing but on radio and TV

Old 09-01-2018, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,880,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I disagree. He did it at his own death.

In Washington, even death is political -- a fact McCain well understood as a sought-after eulogizer himself, and by planning his funeral rites to exclude the President, he will be making an unmistakable posthumous statement directed at the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/polit...ump/index.html
Would you want someone who has been publicly insulting you at your funeral?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies