Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:47 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It doesn't because we know why the southern army was integrated .
It wasn't "integrated." There were proposals to do so as the war neared its end, but government officials at large were strongly opposed (for obvious reasons). The only real "integration" occurred as the final collapse of the CSA was taking place. By the time any appreciable numbers of black soldiers were to hit the front lines for the south, the war was over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 08:48 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,015 times
Quote:
Polls say southern whites want them to stay up. Not southern black people, and even the few who want it up say they only agree to do so because they think white backlash will directly affect them.

https://www.facebook.com/TrumpMAGALi...9374543471672/

Old 08-27-2018, 12:35 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
History needs to be remembered, warts and all. It's way the Jewish people left some of the camps in place and made them museums of sorts.

Not all things remembered is necessarily for the good, more like reminders.

Whitewashing history isn't a good thing, it needs to be remembered so as to avoid repeating it, as they say.
I agree with most of your post, but will comment on a few things. First of all, I live in Central NC, and work about 10 miles from UNC, where the statue was.

I am in 100% agreement that the way it was taken down was wrong, and that those responsible should be punished. They broke the law, and did so knowingly. I suspect they knew the stakes when they did it, and knew they may be punished. That said, the efforts to remove this, and similar statues from public spaces has been largely ignored by the current (right wing) NCGA, and by the (typically left leaning) school administrations. There is no place for a statue like that on a public school campus. They should have been removed long ago, and REPLACED in an appropriate place, to (as you say) preserve the history. NC History Museum in Raleigh is one place. Bennet House near Durham, a civil war historical site, may be another. The point is that history should be preserved in museums, and taught in classrooms.

Funny thing though. I have no idea what your thoughts are on this subject, but I have found IN GENERAL, that many of the people who are using "preserve history" as an argument for keeping these racist statues on public campuses are the same people that you saw blasting the Native Americans in ND who were against the Exel Pipeline. Does anyone else see the hypocrisy of wanting to keep racist statues "in the name of preserving history", but some of the same people are all for running a pipeline over ancient/historical Indian Burial grounds for a pipeline to add convenience to their life?

Seems to me that SOME people's values are selective, and based on personal convenience.

BTW: I'm also Jewish. Have visited the Holocaust Museum. I am so glad to be able to preserve that history, and equally glad I didn't have to pass by statues of Hitler or Rommel every day to get to my Econ class during my college years.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Saw the video, he makes a flawed argument that because the southern Army was integrated, that makes the statue ok.

It doesn't because we know why the southern army was integrated .
Neither army was integrated.
The US Army in WW2 wasn't even integrated.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Whether or not Silent Sam will be re-erected is not certain. It's still a matter that's under consideration.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
I asked my black friends what they thought of this and they told me they don't care one way or another.

It's just the far left looney tunes who don't have to worry about paying bills or going to work who are making a big stink about this.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Neither army was integrated.
The US Army in WW2 wasn't even integrated.
That's not true. In the Civil War, at least. All-black battalions were integrated to some degree. The officers were always white, even if his soldier's weren't.

After some battalions were decimated after battles, some of the troops were integrated into racially mixed new battalions made up of the surviving remnants.

Most of these returned to only all-black when the losses were replaced to full battalion strength later, but some never regained full strength. As the war progressed, the decimated Union battalions were often taken out of the fight and used for supply, grave digging, entrenchment, or other tasks that were outside of combat.

The Confederacy depended on loyalty. There were many slaves who were loyal to their masters, and most of the Confederate soldiers saw the war as an assault on their homeland, and black freemen saw it that way as much as white freemen sometimes. It all depended on an individual's circumstances.

In the Union army, circumstances also played a great role. There were some units from some states that simply didn't accept black solders at all, while others had no problem with black acceptance.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
No one is interested in being tolerant towards white supremacy. “The left” must stop branding ourselves as tolerant and open-minded. We cannot be tolerant and adding validity to BS. We “tolerate” non-sense too often; I’m not willing to say:

“Oh, you don’t agree that women should have the right choose? Well, that’s your opinion and I respect it.”

No! It’s non-sense! It’s CHOICE not PRO-ABORTION! You don’t want to have an abortion, fine by me, but don’t inflict your non-sense on any of the rest of us. So yeah, we are intolerant and we have to own up to it!

Snatch those statues down! Send us a GoFundMe link for the bail money, these students are all heroes in my eyes.
If your mailbox offends me can I rip it off it's post? Just checking to see where your virtue signaling ends.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:18 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
The bumper sticker's approach to history remains intact, and students remain the most ignorant of us all.

Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand. - Nathan Bedford Forrest in 1875. And yet the only thing people 'know' about Forrest is that he was a racist who founded the KKK.
Forrest is someone who had a radical change of thinking in his later years and spoke often of racial harmony. How are we to encourage others to follow his foot steps if, in our ignorance, we destroy his entire legacy?

Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,122,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There aren't many statues commemorating the slaves.
Ancient history. What's your motivation?

Is there a reason you people are talking about this now? Seems all you're doing is riling up a large portion of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies