Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh for goodness sake, if you think you are the only source from which you kids learn values, then you are terribly naïve.
I don't think that. Which is why I don't want classroom assignment designed to indoctrinate my kids, which is what this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 04:28 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,091,016 times
Quote:
I did live about thirty minutes north of DC for a few years, where my children attended public school, and I happen to work part-time in a public high school.
I live in Maryland, as well. My kids went to public schools. 30 minutes from DC is a totally different world when it comes to school systems, but I think you know that too.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I live in Maryland, as well. My kids went to public schools. 30 minutes from DC is a totally different world when it comes to school systems, but I think you know that too.
Depends which school district.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I do a similar assignment, as do some other teachers, in HS sociology class. It's 1944 and ship in the Atlantic is sinking and the passengers and crew must choose whom to place on the lifeboat with only 15 spots available. There are wealthy people, poor people, disabled people, black people, a pregnant woman, a drug user and so forth. It gets them thinking about norms, values, biases, conformity (most just go along with the decisions of others). It also gets them thinking about how norms, values change over time because I ask how it might play out differently in 2018. I make no apologies for this assignment and would gladly go down defending it against the sorts of weak adults who get up in arms about any assignment that might make the most highly-sensitive and perpetually offended upset.
There is a big difference between immediate survival until rescued and repopulating the species. In your case a simple lottery would suffice. Making the choice of who's talents would be needed on a new planet at the same time the health of the members, especially considering reproductivity, would be primary in the other case. And then you would have to have about a 3-1 or 4-1 ratio of women to men. These issues are way above the middle school level in my opinion. Those issues weren't even considered in the middle school issue. I would hope that the teacher at least pointed out the need for them at one point, even if at the end of the discussion, to let them think about them on their own.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Depends which school district.
North of DC, not a problem, but NE of DC, maybe.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
I think it is a very interesting assignment - it would force the students to confront their comfort zones, their biases - to determine who might be the most helpful to them - I think it is fascinating. I don't understand what this would have to do with math, but as a social experiment to invoke discussion and critical thinking, it's a good one.

The teacher is probably too idealistic to have understood the rampant PC culture that would not allow this - people would rather teachers keep "teaching to the test" to prepare drones for corporate America. Heaven forbid anyone should think.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
When the agenda conforms to your own agenda, it is harder to see it as an agenda, and not just an idea.
Sorry but you sound crazy.

Who exactly has the agenda that you are worried about ? Note, I don't have an agenda for/against anything other than people thinking and knowing how to read, write, and think in this instance and be able to explain their reasons for their POV.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sorry but you sound crazy.

Who exactly has the agenda that you are worried about ? Note, I don't have an agenda for/against anything other than people thinking and knowing how to read, write, and think in this instance and be able to explain their reasons for their POV.
Bad choice of words. I should have said when an agenda conforms to your own beliefs...

I didn't mean to say you had an agenda.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think this idea of "indoctrination" (which is really just "education") freaks out right wingers so much because they don't like people to think for themselves.
The idea that indoctrination is really just education ought to freak out anyone who actually does think for himself.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:18 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times
I would definitely take the Accountant. It's a long trip and you wanna know someone is holding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies